This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks! Jerks!

OK, so at my desk job at the school, I have to buzz parents in and out if they are collecting their kids from after school classes. When I push the button, the doors open automatically and let them in.

However, it is important to note that these are not your typical automatic doors. There is no sensor on them that will stop them from closing when someone tries to go through them. Once those doors start closing, they aren't going to stop. There are signs on the doors stating this, and the staff and children understand.

But do the parents? Nooooooo.

When they see the doors closing, they see it as some sort of challenge. They must imagine themselves being Indiana Jones or something, because they dart for the door and try to make it before it shuts. Like I said, there is no sensor on this door, so it isn't going to stop!

I've seen people running as if they were in a marathon towards the doors. I have seen others make it through by the skin of their teeth. I have seen another lady clip her foot on the door as she ran, sending her to her knees in the car park. Arms have been trapped. Whole entire bodies wedged between the doors, and the unfortunate woman who got her handbag caught and didn't realise until she jerked forward and nearly fell.

I have actually had to start shouting "DON'T RUN!" to parents! Not their kids. The kids are usually patient, and will wait for me to open the door for them. Other poor souls are dragged by their parents who believe that cutting five seconds off their journey home is more important than their lives.

And then we got to today. A rather large man ran for the door, but didn't make it, smacking himself off the glass the poor cleaners had just polished. Rather than wait those two seconds for me to push the button to open the doors, he proceeded to stick his hands in the cracks in the door, and FORCE them open.

Me: Don't do that! I'll open the door for you!

But it was too late. I heard a massive SNAP and a cracking noise. The whole mechanism on top of the doors came crumbling down, and I was left with a mess of metal and rubber on the floor, while the large man walked off without looking back.

Now the door is wrecked, and if a parent wants in or out of the school, I have no choice but to get up from my desk and open the door for them. Last time I checked, doorman wasn't in my job description. I also have to seat myself as close as possible to the door, and it is freaking freezing!

My manager and I are going to track down this jerk, and send him the bill.

Good the ass needs to pay for what he has broken.

Comment

is it that hard to comprehend that closing doors mean possible harm not rush. I mean your own kids understand, that being the key there that your own kid won't go so maybe you should wait too. I hope he got hurt or at least bruising on top of having to pay for it

Comment

That sounds like vandalism to me...the act of damaging another person's property and taking off like that. Since he didn't stop after damaging the door, I would think you could file criminal charges as well.

Comment

This is a school, right? So I don't know if it's the same over there as it is here, but it's owned by the government? Which means he'd be at least guilty of destruction of government property.

Comment

Reminds me of one of my former co-irkers. We'lll call him Idiot Guy (IG).

This wasn't too long after I got trained for FDLP, and in the evenings, after closing, I would shut the automatic doors off, so opening them involved pulling them apart so they slid along the tracks. NOT by pushing them open as if it were an emergency and the building were on fire.

IG never got this. He ALWAYS pushed the doors open, thus putting extra stress on the hinge, and sometimes knocking them out of the tracks. Even when I was standing RIGHT THERE, telling him (complete with hand gestures), "Pull them open, DON'T push them-- NO DON'T-- GODDAMMIT."

One time I even pulled the doors open enough for him to get through (with plenty of elbow room) and he still pushed them open to make sure.

Grrr.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

OMG! I AM SO SORRY! My store goes through the same thing on a daily basis. Our entrance doors are an emergency only exit, but customers REFUSE to listen/pay attention. The door is repeatedly broken, even a tot has rammed into it and broke it. I have been tempted to tell the management to whom loathe this that we should install something that would shock their dumb asses... There was one incident where someone who could clearly knew English as their first language, looked up nad read aloud to his wife, "Look, honey. It says please exit here!"

Comment

yeah, that takes some seriously devolved stupid; this isn't a boulder you rolled in front of your cave, dude. go thump your club elsewhere...
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about the door, but your descriptions were hilarious. Especially the poor kids being dragged to their doom.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Send him both a bill and a perma-ban, this level of stupid needs to stay out of schools!

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      I'm sorry to hear about the door, but your descriptions were hilarious. Especially the poor kids being dragged to their doom.
                      I was laughing myself, picturing arms being lopped off as they sprinted for the Door of DOOM.
                      To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
                      To pursue it with forks and hope;
                      To threaten its life with a railway share;
                      To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                        Send him both a bill and a perma-ban, this level of stupid needs to stay out of schools!
                        Yes, and as RxBoy and Draco suggested, he's guilty of vandalism and destruction of government property. Press charges, too. Even hitting him in the pocketbook won't teach the lesson as well as jail time.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I hope your school has security cameras or something? Otherwise it's probably going to be tough finding him, I'd think.

Comment

It will be a good door to have during the zombi apocalypse though, the door will keep closing, severing limbs!

Comment

Man that sucks.
                              I remember when i was in high school, during the christmas party some drunk idiots managed to destroy two fire doors, each of them cost 40 000 Norwegian kroner.
                              This amounted to a total of roughly 13 800 USD or 8500 GBP.
                              There were no chistmas party the next year.
                              “I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic hatreds.” -George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X