This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Booth Fun

I was working a food booth during a PTA Fall Festival at out elementary school last weekend. I was a volunteer, and the proceeds of the booth go directly to the PTA - and thus to the school. The event used tickets rather than cash at the booths. The tickets were twenty-five cents each and were purchased at several ticket booths within the event. My booth sold sausages on a stick, one of the most popular items at the event – and one of the priciest at four tickets each.

I was one of four taking tickets and distributing these juicy things. I (happily) avoided having to stand over the grills behind me, but this meant I got to deal with “customers”.

Memorable “Customer” # 1 (AKA Ms. Bloated Spice in a Mumu) Bought one, bit into a piece and began screaming that there was salt on it. She spat it out of her polyp of a mouth in front of others waiting in line. Since she didn’t bother to use the napkin provided, the contents of her mouth spewed out onto the ground and onto those having the misfortune of being next to her. She claimed we had poisoned her since she was on a strict, salt-free diet. I gave her her tickets back just out of the spirit of good PR we were supposed to be instilling at the event.
    Of course, it never dawned on you, madam. that foods sold at carnival booths like ours usually are not designed for special diets – AND you certainly never considered that it might be prudent to ask before you bought one if salt (the most utilized spice) had been used in the preparation.

Memorable “Customer” # 2 (AKA Mr. Legal Scammer Wannabe) Handed me one ticket after I told him they were four apiece. Then, when I told him he was three tickets short, stated that since I had accepted that ticket, it was a legal and binding acceptance of payment in full because he had written “payment in full” on the back of the ticket. He then smiled smugly and said that was “The Law”. Riiiiiiight. I asked him if he cared to guess how many attorneys were working the booth right then who could give us a quick, legal opinion of his knowledge of basic contract law. I got the attention of a few of them and told them what Mr. Scammer Wannabe was claiming. We all had a good laugh in his face over that one.
    Yes. You, sir, are one brilliant legal scholar. Not.

Memorable “Customer” #3 (AKA Mr. Let’s Make a Deal) Tried to work a bargain to get three for the price of two. Sorry, not going to happen. Then he asked for the manager. Suuuure. I turned to the guy next to me and asked him as the “manager” if this was possible. The guy next to me caught on fast, smiled and said there was no negotiating the price. Mr. Deal wanted to speak with someone higher up, but we told him he either needed to pay the price or leave. He turned and left with the parting shot that we obviously had no concept of capitalism.
    This was for charity, fella, and we knew we would sell out before the end of the night (and we did), so we had no incentive to offer discounts.

Memorable “Customer” #4 (AKA Officer Moocher) Wore a full uniform with badge, cut in line and ordered one from me. He looked incredulous when I told him it would be four tickets. He looked down at his badge, then up at me expectantly. I followed his eyes to his chest, nodded my acknowledgment of his badge, then looked back up at him and repeated that it would be four tickets. He looked annoyed and told me to forget it.
    Though you wisely never verbally articulated your expectation of free food, “Officer”, YOU were being paid to be there. WE were volunteers and still were paying for everything we ate or drank.

So glad that is over.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

had no concept of capitalism? Don't you just love when dimwits use big words that they don't know the meaning of?

Comment

I like #2 best. If only we could have a lawyer at other convenient times...

And the officer was probably used to getting free coffee at gas stations.
      To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
      my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

What I don't get is they were complaining that $1 for a sausage is too expensive!! Cheap assholes.
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Yeah, No.2 takes the cake. I mean, take the time to concoct his little pseudo-legal scam, just to save 75 cents? Some days, I just don't get people, seriously.
          You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

You know #2 went home and told all his friends how he showed those "jerks who were trying to overcharge him."

Then he realized his friends were his stuffed animals.
            There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

how low do you have to be to try and scam a charity?

and the woman claiming to be poisoned from the salt content of a sausage-on-a-stick? hello?? it's sausage-on-a-stick from a school festival. i'm pretty sure it's not on anybody's recommended nutritional guildlines.
              there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
                ... It's sausage-on-a-stick from a school festival...
                As long as it isn't vended by CMOT Dibbler
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                  Some days, I just don't get people, seriously.
                  I stopped trying a long time ago. While registering for classes yesterday, I came across someone who was trying to register for a class when they were currently taking the prerequisite. Being a dumb computer, the online system saw that the prereq hadn't been 'completed' and so wouldn't let them register for the higher-level class.

Solution would be to talk to someone in registration, no? I observed him for about 10 minutes, and by the time he decided to just ask someone the line was down the hall into the next building.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    It's on a stick, so you should be safe. He seems to be strictly in a bun.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                      Memorable “Customer” # 1 (AKA Ms. Bloated Spice in a Mumu) Bought one, bit into a piece and began screaming that there was salt on it.
                      It's a SAUSAGE!!!! WTF did she think it was made with... Mrs Dash?

Memorable “Customer” # 2 (AKA Mr. Legal Scammer Wannabe) ... since I had accepted that ticket, it was a legal and binding acceptance of payment in full because he had written “payment in full” on the back of the ticket. He then smiled smugly and said that was “The Law”.
                      Next time, tell him that charitable institutions are exempt from that law (along with many others), but since he let go of his ticket you gladly accept it as a charitable donation.

Memorable “Customer” #4 (AKA Officer Moocher) I followed his eyes to his chest, nodded my acknowledgment of his badge, then looked back up at him and repeated that it would be four tickets.
                      I love that you didn't let this EW get away with abusing his position.
                      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

To all but #1 (who as a major idiot & pain in her own right),
                        I'd have said, very, very loudly, so it can be heard by everyone in line and then some, " I'm sorry, I must have totally misunderstood what you just suggested, because if I had heard it right, it would have meant you wish to take money away from what's being raised to help the school children. Since surely no one at a charity event would be attempting to take money away from that charity, I clearly must have misunderstood, so could you repeat your request".

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Salt would be the least of her worries!
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

Damn you! I was thinking the same thing!

Comment

wait.... 1 dollar and they're trying to scam you?

hell that's fucking cheap.

and i'm all for being nice to officers in uniform... but... when people start walking around expecting EVERYTHING for free - it ruins it for everyone else.

back when my late uncle was on the force there was a nice little coffee shop that would keep them fueled up on java.... until one of the officers started acting entitled about it. the cafe ended up cutting everyone off because of him.

Comment

Working...
                              X