Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also confused why the OP couldn't quit. He said it was in Florida. Florida is an "At-Will" state. One can walk off the job if they so choose.

Comment

I once had a Florida theatre manager tell me I could get in trouble for quitting the wrong way.

Yeah, I still haven't figured that logic out.

Comment

RtR and Lots: Simple. This manager had already shown a complete disregard for the law when it came to the OP -- this was just another example of the manager's dishonesty.

teh: I got treated that way at my first actual job, 3 years at a boutique grocery store. Being reliable and able to pick up shifts to cover NCNS workers failed to get me as raise, or a position I requested, or responsibility. It eventually got me fired for refusing to come in one day that I had requested off several weeks before, in writing, when I was already several *miles* away without access to a car...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Lots42 View Post
          I once had a Florida theatre manager tell me I could get in trouble for quitting the wrong way.

Yeah, I still haven't figured that logic out.
          The "trouble" can be a poor reference, even though employers are only supposed to say Employee worked here from x date to y date and is/is not eligible for rehire.

That wouldn't stop me from walking out on a job, though. Odds are, I'd already have a new job; I've never quit a job before having another one in place.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            The "trouble" can be a poor reference, even though employers are only supposed to say Employee worked here from x date to y date and is/is not eligible for rehire.
            I may be wrong, but I don't even think you can say that anymore. I think my HR rep told me we are only allowed to say whether or not they worked there... Not even if they're eligible for rehire or not.

I could be wrong though and just misunderstood him.
            There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

can't imagine having someone force me to work for free like that

and yeah... i like how they tried saying you weren't allowed to quit. what were they going to do? handcuff you to the sandwich station?

Comment

Working...
              X