X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rememberance day disrespect.

Howdy all.

Fairly short, i just remembered an incident from when i worked at the supermarket in my old hometown.

It was remembrance Sunday and we had all been briefed that we were going to observe the two minutes silence that is held to commemorate and respect the dead of the two world wars.

An announcement is made via the tannoy system and we all stop, whether ringing up groceries or stocking shelves.

The customers all stop dead and bow their heads. You can hear a pin drop.

Then a group of morons near the door who had been there to hear the announcement decided to have some fun. (I'd been watching them because they entered with a known troublemaker who was on his last warning, one more incident and he was permabanned)

They begin to talk loudly, then run up and down the aisles shouting.

They switch to yelling obscenities and shouting things regarding people who served in the military. I forget the exact slurs but i recall wishing i could drop them in a minefield. One of them throws/knocks/drops a glass bottle of something which smashes, loudly.

They are then tackled by security, he's a big guy, get landed on by him and you don't get back up. He's being assisted by the two male managers who he does kickboxing with 3 times a week.

They were all marched straight over to the police station which shared our car park. Rumour said they were charged with criminal damage, disturbing the peace and public disorder.

Known troublemaker was not involved, he stood and watched them do it, silently in accordance with what was going on. He later reformed and became one of my colleagues at the same place.
    Last edited by Golden Phoenix; 11-14-2010, 04:48 PM.

I don't know which is worse... The disrespect or the stupidity to think you could get away with it.

I am glad that the store takes these thing seriously.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      I don't know which is worse... The disrespect or the stupidity to think you could get away with it.

I am glad that the store takes these thing seriously.
      I think they were just expecting a telling off anf getting kicked out of the store. Once one of them broke something though it became criminal damage i think.

Comment

On the anniversary of the 7/7 terrorist attack, the pub I was working at had a two minute silence at the time of the bombings. We put signs up, and we rang the bell when it was time. Could the old alcoholics wait two minutes for a drink? Could they fuck.

Two men attempted to complain that they were being ignored. I simply pointed at the signs, to which they said "I don't give a fuck, this isn't London, so why should we care?" I waited until the silence was over to tell them to get the fuck out.

We had someone who attempted to order in silence, by pointing at which pump he wanted. He didn't seem to understand why all the staff were stood at the end of the bar with their heads bowed.

Comment

Man, some people have no respect and no shame for it.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Brings this video to mind: Terry Kelly - A Pittance of Time
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3...eature=related
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

three cheers for insensitive idiot containment. HOORAH HOORAH HOOFUCKING BOOYAH!!!!

damned morons.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

We had someone who attempted to order in silence, by pointing at which pump he wanted. He didn't seem to understand why all the staff were stood at the end of the bar with their heads bowed.
                I'll actually give the guy points for trying at least. He wasn't being a damned idiot about it and following the rule of silence.

As for the OP, I really wonder if those guys will ever end up in the army/navy/air force. (I've got a friend in the army and a cousin in the navy)
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I was eating lunch with a friend not long after 9/11 -- maybe a week or so later -- and a moment of remembrance was to be observed at noon. The restaurant came to a dead standstill and a patriotic song came over the PA. This caused a man -- one lone man in the entire restaurant -- to jack up the volume of his conversation enough that his dining companions, who all looked mortified, could hear. Enough that everyone else could hear him too. Enough that everyone in our particular dining room was giving him the shit eye.

Enough that later, my friend went up to him in the music store and gave him a piece of her mind. He told her that he didn't know anybody personally who died in the attacks, so why should he care?
                  Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

The price of freedom is not free by a long shot. Sadly there are people out there stupid enough not to know that. I say send them over to South Korea, and make them clear the mines out of the DMZ the hard way. Yeah, I'm evil that way .
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Wonder why some people think it's cool to act like that? They only make themselves look rude, stupid and worthless. Plus they risk getting a thump on the head for their disrespect.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Back when I worked in the supermarket, during the Remembrance Day two minute silence, there were only two times that said silence was interrupted by dunderheads.

First was a stupid twat who was yapping on her mobile phone. A guy standing near her snatched her phone away and switched it off. He then held on to it til the silence was over, then handed it back and walked away, leaving her standing there imitating a stranded fish.

Second was a woman who's schoolage child started to talk in a loud voice, and who didn't bother to shush said child or tell them to shut up. She got so many death glares from nearby customers that she and her child were scared silent after one minute.

I personally think that anyone who is unable to shut their piehole for the two minute silence should be helped to do so with duct tape.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Those guys were effing douchebags... but I've done this accidentally.

I was visiting my old high school, and I didn't hear the announcement that we were having a moment of silence for a former student who'd been killed in Iraq (as I was walking between two buildings, and the outdoor PA system is too echo-y to understand). Me, having NO idea, walked into a dead-silent classroom. I stood there awkwardly for a moment before spotting a friend, and I whispered pretty loudly, "Hi Andrea," to which the ENTIRE room shot me filthy daggers. I awkwardly slunk out of the room only to find out later what had happened.

God I felt like such an a-hole.

Comment

I've seen this sort of disrespect happen, but not quite to this extent. I was at the graduation of a cousin once removed. Her stepdad (USAF active duty TSGT) was rendering honors to the flag during the National Anthem by standing on the bleachers with his hand on his heart like usual. Once the Anthem was completed a teenage kid apparently trying to get past told him "you could have moved". I always thought that during the National Anthem it's custom to stop what you are doing and face the flag. Apparently not to this kid. I'm not sure what the stepdad said to him, but I'm sure he said something.

Comment

Custom, but not necessarily observed custom. Like hand-over-heart also is not always observed, or hats-off in the building . . . to be honest, there are a dozen rules of "polite conduct" which are completely forgotten these days. I bet you wouldn't realize they weren't in use / were in use subconsciously until I mentioned them but one?

The gentleman always walks on the outside of the sidewalk when with a lady.

AS for this specific disrespect, I sometimes wonder if it would be too much of a hassle to try raising your children with some sense of respect towards people . . . if not towards ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X