This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One from a few years ago

I remembered this one while reading another thread about scammers.

At a previous c-store, I had a customer accuse me of short-changing him by something like $12. This was a few years ago, so I don't remember the exact totals now. I just remember that I knew what I had in my drawer, and he tried to say he gave me something different than he did. I stood my ground, and told him he was wrong. He started ranting and raving about how "I ripped him off." The manager came out of the office at that point. So, I started to tell her exactly what was going on, but he kept butting in calling me a liar, thief, and such. So, I just stepped aside to let her deal with him. I turned around and grabbed the phone to call the police.

Manager didn't want to deal with the drama, so she gave him the money out of her own pocket. He then told her he wanted to file a complaint on me. That was when he noticed I was on the phone with the police, and started trying to yell at me again. I just plugged my free ear and continued talking to the dispatcher. The guy decided to leave, so I grabbed a pen and piece of scrap paper. As he pulled out, he tried to manuever so I couldn't see his tag from the window, but he went down the dead end of the parking lot. So, he had to circle back, and I got his plate number then.

So, the police arrived, I gave them the information for the report. The drawer was right on the money. The manager was out $12 to a scammer. I never heard any more about it after that. I just couldn't believe that she let the guy have her money like that.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I'm so glad that the only time I had to deal with one of those scammers my boss was willing to shut down the till and count it rather than give in.

At least your till wasn't short.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
      I just couldn't believe that she let the guy have her money like that.
      Is it being far too optimistic to hope that being scammed like that made the manager grow a spine when dealing with 'drama' in the future?

No way would a manager at my place do that. If a customer claims that they got short changed, it's an automatic till check. That tends to weed out the scammers - the genuine ones will wait for the till to be counted.
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
        Is it being far too optimistic to hope that being scammed like that made the manager grow a spine when dealing with 'drama' in the future?

No way would a manager at my place do that. If a customer claims that they got short changed, it's an automatic till check. That tends to weed out the scammers - the genuine ones will wait for the till to be counted.
        Yeah, at WM we had to do that too. Giving the scammer money just encourages them. They may not have gotten money from the store, but the got the money and that's all scammers really care about.

Comment

Working...
        X