This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    As I've mentioned, I have hearing problems. So when they call out my number, I often can't tell!
    The ones around me all have display boards to go with the automated PA call.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      The line to get the number is actually usually fast and sometimes non-existent. Since the only point of the line is to tell the clerk what you want and be given a number and any paperwork you might have to fill out.

The letter codes are far superior to the signs and lines, since every open window can be in constant use without the need to be trying to pull people from other lines.

^-.-^
      You're lucky. The one by us has a line to the door that runs through the back and forth guides, like at the airport or Disneyland. Just always bad.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The take-a-number system is pretty common here - from banks to the larger post offices and even the booking counters at the railway station. People seem to be perfectly used to them, and the only problem is then working out which category you should take a ticket for (since the signs on the machine are not always in English).

The system normally used for these simply beeps, displays the sequence number above the desk, and also puts the sequence number and desk number on a bigger display on the wall. If nobody seems to react to it, the clerk will call out the number as well. Sometimes people do leave the line for some reason, so after a reasonable wait the clerk will request another number.

Comment

I've been dealin with the MVD in the little town down the road for so long (13-14 years?) I know them & they know me.As a Realtor I've had to deal with them on mobile home titles & they've always known the procedures.

Went in a coupla weeks ago to renew my DL,in & out in less than 15 minutes,the longest I've ever had to wait was 30 minutes to talk to 'em.

My hat's off to 'em.
          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

25-30 years ago when I studied queueing theory, it was known that a single line (the equivalent of take a number and wait to be served) is the fairest method for accommodating those in line. I don't know why it isn't used more often.

Comment

Quoth zond View Post
              25-30 years ago when I studied queueing theory, it was known that a single line (the equivalent of take a number and wait to be served) is the fairest method for accommodating those in line. I don't know why it isn't used more often.
              I don't know why not, either. They do it at a particular big-box electronics store I like to frequent as well as a chain book shop, and checking out is so much less painful that way.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X