Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Such "compliments" won't flatter me into letting you use our phone.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God I hate people who think that just cause the "need" to use a phone, anyones is fair game.

I once had a girl knock on the door to my flat at about midnight and demand to use my phone to call her flatmates across the hall who weren't home and she had forgotten her key. I noted that she had a cell phone in her hand at the time and said "use your own phone" her response? "it's only for emergencies" so I said, "well I think this constitutes one" and closed the door.
    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

There's a Roshoman-style sequal to this story.

SC called this morning and spoke to my supervisor. According to my supervisor, the SC was complaining that I did not let his 16-year-old niece use the phone. All supervisor did was apologize, explain the reason why I didn't allow use of the phone. Supervisor also apologized saying that had we known that she was that young, the situation would have been different.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
        There's a Roshoman-style sequal to this story.

SC called this morning and spoke to my supervisor. According to my supervisor, the SC was complaining that I did not let his 16-year-old niece use the phone. All supervisor did was apologize, explain the reason why I didn't allow use of the phone. Supervisor also apologized saying that had we known that she was that young, the situation would have been different.
        NIECE?! I thought he said she was his wife? Or was this a different family member calling? Or maybe...no, on second thought, if that's the case, I don't want to know.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It was the same person, but he was apperantly lying to my supervisor. In my first post he said he'd threaten to call corporate and say that she was crying when she came in. Since he would be lying about that, it's not much of a stretch to lie about who the lady was in order to gain sympathy.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Gotta love entitled people. We get alot of "oh can we use your restroom?" or "I need to use your phone, I need to call me mom and the movie theatre across the street won't let me use theirs". Not gonna happen especially at 1am. What part of non-guests are not allowed in after 11pm don't you understand? And no, I cannot make an exception. And we also have a sign on the front door that we put up at about 11pm and take down at about 6am that states that.
            Accountant by trade, Night Auditing Drunksitter by choice.

Comment

For the list of "What would have been awesome to say...
              Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              SCH: What if I call your corporate office and tell them you wouldn't use the phone and she was crying?
              "Actually, sir she wasn't and the security camera can back me up on that."

Comment

When I worked in the garden centre, we never let customers use the phone save in emergencies due to the risk of abuse. Note to SCs; the definition of an emergency is if you are in a car accident, your wife goes into labour, or you have a heart attack. It is not to ring your friends for a gossip, to harrass your other half or to call your kid's teacher.

We even had a number sequence programmed into the phone which all the staff knew to make the phone do outside calls; it always used to amuse me greatly to see an SC attempt to use the phone after being told they couldn't, then storming off in a huff cuz no matter what they tried, they couldn't get it to work.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

At the Gaming Store, we'd charge $0.15 per call. It might have gone up to $0.25 but not sure. We didn't get asked much to use our phone. We did have a sign that listed the phone charge. I don't think anyone really complained about it.

Comment

When I worked in the ER, cops would bring in prisoners for medical clearance before taking them to jail. They always wanted to use the phone, usually to "call their lawyer".

I always refused. It's a serious security issue; they could call family or friends with guns to hijack the cop right in the ER.

One fellow told me I was violating his rights by refusing to let him use a phone.

Me: I'm not violating your rights. This is a private institution. You are in state custody. It is the state's responsibility to allow you to make a call . . . when you get to jail.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post

Really now? Really? I don't have a phone available for guest use, but I was nice enough to point out where a payphone is in very close distance.

Pay... Phone? What is this?

Clearly this person is living in 1997 *the year before i got my first Cell*
                      There Can Be Only One

Comment

We allow customers (only) to use our phone for extenuating circumstances--like say calling a teenage kid to bring the 1099 that was left on a kitchen table. For most other reasons, No!
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

People keep asking me where the nearest payphone is at work, and I can only shake my head and say, "I don't know, I don't live in the area." To my knowledge, there are none in the immediate area, as there are no really close gas stations, and, hell, everyone has cell phones now...
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Not quite everyone.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
                              Why would they even think that they could use the phone? I guess it just boggles my mind, but I was always the kind of person who assumed that they had to find a public phone. That's why they are called public. Because it was for general public use.
                              Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
                              Pay... Phone? What is this?

Clearly this person is living in 1997 *the year before i got my first Cell*
                              ^^^^ this. payphones are almost dead now. 6 years ago (as a newbie delivery driver) I could tell you the location of many payphones in my area. NOW there are NONE that I know of.

the reasons might be HMMMMM
                              1. the proliferation of Cell phones (I would say 90% of the people in my area have them.
                              2. because of #1 the revenues for pay type phones has dropped significantly (heck I remember when they cost a NICKLE back in the 60's) so why have them if they do not make you any money.
                              3. payphones got the bad reputation for being convient locations for drug deals and the making thereof (which is true).
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

People don't seem to realize that stores are private property. The area outside the store may be a public area, but once you are inside, that is private property and the owners have no obligation to let you use their phone or their restroom.

Comment

Working...
                                X