This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scam that Came with a Warning Label

Years ago, our state had no late fees. In fact, if you came in late and it was another month, we would even pro-rate the fees (for license plates only) for the months you were getting. Such a deal! Some people would gamble: don't renew the plate, and see how long you could drag it out driving illegally without getting caught. Of course, if you did get caught, the ticket was a lot more than the few dollars you would save, which just made it more exciting.

Anyway, the state finally caught on that they were losing money that way. October 1, 2003 (a day which will live in infamy), we stopped prorating the fees, and we also charge a $10 late fee, even if you are only one day late.

And that's When The Screaming Began. (Sounds like the title to a horror movie).

There were news stories. Flyers mailed out with every renewal notice. The renewal notice had it printed right on it: $XX.XX if paid by your birthday, $XX.XX + $10 if paid after.

One gentleman in particular was so angry with me for enforcing the rule: "This is a scam! You are pulling a scam!"

And it is such a diabolical scam that we give you multiple warnings of how to avoid the scam. We do this to lull you into a false sense of security.

As he was leaving, he turned to the clerk, and screamed, "Can you believe she is doing this to ME?!?!?"

The clerk shrugged. "Well, sir. I forgot to pay mine on time, and she made me pay it." That did kind of shut him up, in that it never occurred to him that the rules apply to everyone.

(PS - In 2009, I forgot, and had to pay a late fee.)
    To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
    To pursue it with forks and hope;
    To threaten its life with a railway share;
    To charm it with forks and hope!

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
    And it is such a diabolical scam that we give you multiple warnings of how to avoid the scam.
    OK. That line just made me laugh.

I hope the fury has died down a bit in 7 years.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

North Carolinia has a simpler system. If you renew in April but don't bother to pay until March, you renew again in . . . wait for it . . . April.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

And that's When The Screaming Began. (Sounds like the title to a horror movie).
        There is, as a matter of fact, a horror movie titled And Now the Screaming Starts.

Close, but the subject of the movie is somewhat different from the scene you described.

Comment

My state doesn't have late fees, you don't wanna renew? Fine, it's a hefty fine if you get caught unregistered, and, they take the plate so you have to go through the rigamarole of getting a new one if you aren't on your toes.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I noticed on Parking Wars (Pliladelphia, PA), if your registration has to be current in order to ransom the car from an impound lot. In Illinois, the late fee is $20--let the registration slide long enough and you have to apply (and pay) for new plates.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

(PS - In 2009, I forgot, and had to pay a late fee.)
              Hahaha fell for your own scam!

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                I noticed on Parking Wars (Pliladelphia, PA), if your registration has to be current in order to ransom the car from an impound lot. In Illinois, the late fee is $20--let the registration slide long enough and you have to apply (and pay) for new plates.
                I saw this. plus they make you surrender the old plates if you get this far. so you can't get new ones without making an effort to go take care of your parking tickets so they'll let you get your old plates.

the city doesn't get you only with money, you get to waste three days worth of your time because one parked illegally. one to get the old plates, one to get the new and one to get your car.

and if you don't bother to get your car and buy a new one the old one is still titled in your name so you get to pay taxes on it

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
                  I saw this. plus they make you surrender the old plates if you get this far. so you can't get new ones without making an effort to go take care of your parking tickets so they'll let you get your old plates.

the city doesn't get you only with money, you get to waste three days worth of your time because one parked illegally. one to get the old plates, one to get the new and one to get your car.

and if you don't bother to get your car and buy a new one the old one is still titled in your name so you get to pay taxes on it
                  Bottom line: Pay your Philly parking fines ASAP. Better yet: Watch where you park in Philly.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                    Bottom line: Pay your Philly parking fines ASAP. Better yet: Watch where you park in Philly.
                    Better still: never visit Philadelphia.

Comment

Working...
                    X