This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people have no shame

Today we were closed for most of the ay as our fuel tanks had gone down to their legal limit. We got very few people coming in as a result of this and times when we are quiet can attract shoplifters, such as today.

A man, around the late 30's and wearing a gold jacket, came into the shop and started asking about painkillers. I went over to the painkillers hat we have behind the counter. He wanted to know whcih was the strongest one so I asked my CW, who usually works in the pharmacy and works in petrol every thursday and she started talking to him about how he would be better off going to the pharmacy as they have stuff that is a lot cheaper. As he was leaving another man, wearing a black coat and hat, walked in and knelt down by our newspapers and magaine rack, and started stuffing magazines down the front of his coat! My CW told him to put them back and he threw them onto the floor and just said "see, I've put them fucking back" and then left in a huff.

We have a couple of people who come in every week and try to steal something and I think that it would have been one of them. The thing is that they have been arrested for it plenty of times and know that they are barred from the site and yet they still do it.

Oh yes, when one of the guards saw the footage from the camera he saw that the one asking about the painkillers swiped some chewing gum from the counter.

Also on tuesday I had smeone comes in saying that he left his debit card in his other coat and didn't have any money. We filled in a non payment form for him and he left. Later on a security guard came over and we found a note that someone had left saying not to allow him any more fuel as he had already filled in three forms and none of the details he left were traceable. The note had been hidden behind another piece of paper so I didn't spot it, and he only comes at the beginning of every month so we're not going to recognose someone who comes in so infrequently. Needless to say there is now a clear sign behind our counter saying to to give him any more fuel.

I hope that means you call the cops the next time he comes around. That and a plate number should wrap things up nicely.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Gibbo View Post
      Also on tuesday I had smeone comes in saying that he left his debit card in his other coat and didn't have any money. We filled in a non payment form for him and he left. Later on a security guard came over and we found a note that someone had left saying not to allow him any more fuel as he had already filled in three forms and none of the details he left were traceable. The note had been hidden behind another piece of paper so I didn't spot it, and he only comes at the beginning of every month so we're not going to recognose someone who comes in so infrequently. Needless to say there is now a clear sign behind our counter saying to to give him any more fuel.
      Does that nonpayment form include the license plate number? If it doesn't it sounds like it should, since that (should) be the one piece of information that would be harder to make untraceable. (well harder than most of those lazy bastards would bother to do)

Comment

I've never heard of buying gas on a promissory note before.

Here, you either scrape up the cash or walk.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Gibbo works in the rare petrol station that does not force customers to prepay. Presumeably more just drive off and leave.

Comment

Got to love policies like that. Corporate puts them into place with the notion that they attract more customers, but that's like dropping an open jar of honey into a bin full of garbage and expecting it to attract butterflies.

Comment

My CW told him to put them back and he threw them onto the floor and just said "see, I've put them fucking back" and then left in a huff.
              I love how they get mad when they get caught. He's trying to break the law and he's mad at you for stopping him.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

i'm betting that they were working together; it's too much of a coincidence for two to come in at the same time.

he probably only swiped the gum because you were watching him already.

yep, pay up or walk/ride the bus; choice is yours.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                  Gibbo works in the rare petrol station that does not force customers to prepay. Presumeably more just drive off and leave.
                  Which is not at all rare in the UK.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                    Does that nonpayment form include the license plate number? If it doesn't it sounds like it should, since that (should) be the one piece of information that would be harder to make untraceable. (well harder than most of those lazy bastards would bother to do)
                    We have had cars with stolen plates so I'm thinking that this one could be as well. We used to have a gang who would park their car around the corner from us and change the plates on the car before driving in to try and get fuel.

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                    i'm betting that they were working together; it's too much of a coincidence for two to come in at the same time.

he probably only swiped the gum because you were watching him already.

yep, pay up or walk/ride the bus; choice is yours.
                    They must have been together, it's a common tactic around here. The one who tried to take the magazines was back in tonight, on his own this time.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                      Which is not at all rare in the UK.
                      Haven't been since 2008, but even back then the Petrol Retailers Association said that everything was quickly moving towards prepay. (I worked for a C-Store chain in the US at the time, so I was very curious.) I guess that isn't the case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...epay-2011.html

Comment

Quite a few have moved towards pay at the pump to try and mitigate things instead. Stick your card in, if authorised then they get their money.

Unless the card's nicked or something...

Rapscallion

Comment

There is only one petrol station near me that has prepay at all - and that is only on half of their pumps. Even that isn't mandatory.

Personally, I find it quicker and more straightforward than going inside to pay.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Gibbo View Post
                            We used to have a gang who would park their car around the corner from us and change the plates on the car before driving in to try and get fuel..
                            Back in the "energy crisis" of 1979 there was a severe gas shortage, with several-block-long lines even to get into the gas stations, and they instituted "odd and even" days, meaning that if the last digit of your plate was a odd number, you could only buy gas on odd days of the month.

So one day the NY Daily Snooz posts a front-page series of pictures of some smart guy in one of these long lines swapping his license plate for another one he had in the car...

I grew up in NYC, and by the time I started driving it was mostly pre-pay there. Confused me when I went out in the country. I went into the store, handed her my credit card and told her I wanted $20 on the unleaded (ah those were the days, you could actually fill the tank for $20) and she said "Just go and pump the gas, you can pay when you're done." I was like . How do they know I won't just drive away? Not that I would, but I'm from NYC ("In God We Trust: all others pay cash") and that level of trust from a stranger was just unusual to me.
                            Last edited by Shalom; 12-07-2010, 02:52 PM. Reason: was 1979, not 1982.

Comment

Working...
                            X