This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel vs. the local movie theater

Our hotel is located across the street from the local movie theater, we have had them send kids that they have booted out over here to wait for a ride since we have a lobby where they can sit and we have someone here 24/7 to keep an eye on them.

Except that the hotel is not a babysitter and we have a strictly enforced no non-guests after 11pm (when our bar usually closes) and before 6am. And there is no way in h3ll that I'm going to allow kids to hang out in the lobby that are not guests, especially when I have work to do.

Last night the theater staff booted 5 kids for being loud and obnoxious, they sent them over here to wait for their rides because they were not allowed to remain on theater property. This happened at 12 am. These kids were about 12-13. I allowed them to remain in our outer lobby, which is considered the space between the 2 sets of doors that lead into our lobby. They were pretty upset at that, and were being very loud. I had called the police after they were waiting there for 15 minutes with no sign of any parents or adults.

The police came and spoke to the kids, and tried to reach an adult. The cops tried atleast 30 numbers and no one picked up, so the cops decided to take the kids back to the station.

About 10 minutes after the cops left, an angry man comes up to the door, dings the buzzer about 20 times, I asked him if he was a guest and he said no he was here to pick up his kids. I asked what kids, he gave the description of the kids from the theater, so I called the cops and they sent an officer out ot talk to the man. The man became irate when he was told the we had called the cops on the kids even after it was explained to him that we had every right to do so. Man gets even more irate, takes a swing at the cop, and ends up in handcuffs in the back of a squad car. Man's wife calls the hotel later that day, speaks to Awesome GM, GM backs me up 100% and the calls the theater and reams out the theater's moron manager over this and how we are not babysitters.
    Accountant by trade, Night Auditing Drunksitter by choice.

Heh, I'd love to see that at the station.

"Hey, there's Dad! We can go home now!"

"Why is Dad getting stuck in the cell? What do you mean, he's not coming home tonight?"

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
      Heh, I'd love to see that at the station.

"Hey, there's Dad! We can go home now!"

"Why is Dad getting stuck in the cell? What do you mean, he's not coming home tonight?"
      Knowing the cop who arrested him. He probably got paraded infront of the kids. The cop he took a swing at is a real tough cookie who has zero tolerance for stupid people.

Comment

I'm glad your GM called the theater - why would anyone with a shred of courtesy or respect think "These kids are obnoxious and causing trouble, and I don't want to deal with them. Let's make the completely non-involved place across the road take responsibility for them!"

Comment

Quoth Ashaela View Post
          I'm glad your GM called the theater - why would anyone with a shred of courtesy or respect think "These kids are obnoxious and causing trouble, and I don't want to deal with them. Let's make the completely non-involved place across the road take responsibility for them!"
          They seem to take delight in doing so, they also do the samething to the chinese restaurant in their parking lot, Mr. Chung, the owner calls the cops and then calls us and gives us an FYI so the theatre likes to send them our way. We have had several parents get upset at us for calling the cops when their kids show up and expect to wait in our lobby. We refer the parents to the theatre if they want to complain.

GM chewed em out, and told em next time it happens she's going to their upper management.

Comment

GM shouldn't wait for next time, she should complain now. It's pretty awful what the theater is doing to you and your business. Perhaps they'd like a lawsuit to help the hotel recoup the wasted time, charge for babysitting, and possible besmirching to the hotel's good name?

When I worked night audit, I was the only employee on shift. My focus is supposed to be the comfort, care and safety of my guests. How can I do that if I can't leave front end 'cause I'm watching some rowdy tweens? No way.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

What level of EW do you have to be to think you can attempt to assault law enforcement and get away with it?

Comment

Doesn't that theatre realize what can happen to kids out there on their own?
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I dont get why 12-13 yr olds are out without parents in the first place?

But I agree. Please have someone talk to the Theatre management. It doesnt make sense for them to send people who have absolutely NOTHING to do with your business. Nip it in the bud now before someone bad happens and they say "But Hotel X said they would watch them!!!"

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                    I dont get why 12-13 yr olds are out without parents in the first place?

But I agree. Please have someone talk to the Theatre management. It doesnt make sense for them to send people who have absolutely NOTHING to do with your business. Nip it in the bud now before someone bad happens and they say "But Hotel X said they would watch them!!!"
                    I don't get it either, the theatre has a zero tolerance policy for kids who cause trouble and will kick the kids out and off property without letting the kids call the parents. They think that we will allow them to wait in our lobby.

My GM did the call the theater management and told them that we will we calling the cops each time that we have kids from them come over here and that all complaints from parents will be forwarded to their district manager. She also told them that they are liable for any damage that the kids cause to our property by them sending the kids over here. And if any thing happens it's their responsibilty.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                      Doesn't that theatre realize what can happen to kids out there on their own?
                      I was thinking the same thing. What if one of them gets hurt? that would be one hell of a lawsuit.

I can't believe the movie theater does this kind of crap. I worked in a hotel when I was in college and hotel employees have enough to do without having to babysit a bunch of badly behaved teenagers. Is this theater part of a chain? their corporate headquarters might want to know about this.

Comment

I guess I'm living in another world or something.

What parent of an 11- or 12- year old thinks seeing a movie that late with no adult around is a good idea? Not that an 11-year-old has to be asleep at that time on a weekend, but at least supervised would be good.

Comment

The theater is run by idiots and I feel bad for the kids being left out alone that late; anything could happen!

We had a couple of tweens that got rides home from the local police because it was 2AM, nobody had $, nobody's parents were answering their phones, and they were stuck at the mall after their movie let-out!
                          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Those parents should be arrested for child abandonment or something.

Comment

You accounted for the parent of 1 of those kids. How about the others? What does child protective services think of all of this?Just asking.....
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X