This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl gets irritated because I called her "sir"

Working ticket drop yesterday I had someone who appeared to be a guy come in. They were going to an R rated movie so I had to check their ID. SFC= Stupid Female Customer
    Me: Hi, I just need to check your ID, sir.
    I heard them mumble something under their breath about "dumbass".
    Me: I'm sorry?
    SFC: Now you can feel like a dumbass for calling me sir.
    Me: Sorry, I didn't know.
    She walks away in a huff. What the fuck ever. She looked like a guy, and her hair was very short and styled in a mohawk. I don't know of any girls that have hair like that.
    For all you customers out there, I personally don't give a shit what you look like. But don't give us shit when we accidentally address you by the opposite sex.
    Last edited by protege; 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM.

The way I see it, if you make yourself appear a certain way, then don't get all bent out of shape if you are addressed as such. If a man came to you with makeup, a dress, painted fingernails and long hair, and you addressed him as ma'am, and he got bent out of shape, then it's his own damn fault. And if this woman presented herself that way, it should come as no suprise that she got that.

Comment

Heck, I had people think I was a guy all the time. Somehow, they ignored the boobs and just focused on the fact that my hair was in a boyish cut, and I didn't wear makeup.

In fact, back when my hair was in a pixie cut, this woman asked if I was single, because "I'd make the cutest couple with her daughter". I pointed at my chest, and I swear to goodness she looked like she was going to melt through the floor in embarassment.

I gave up on the style when my bookstore had me dress up as HP for the book release....was not fun being hit on by every girl in the mall, and having them try to kiss me. GAH.
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I had people call me sir when I had long hair... held back in a ponytail with the pinkest, sparkliest scrunchies ever... while wearing girly clothes with sparkles and sequins...

Now with my Pixie cut and gamer shirts (fit, not loose), nobody has trouble with my girl status.

wtf.
        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Try it on the phone with women who have deep voices!

I asked for a customer's name once and was told "Betty Davis." Now, this person had the deepest, most gravelly voice I'd ever heard. I would have sworn on anything you like that it was a man, so thinking "he" was joking (referring to the actress), I said "Seriously?" And she said "yes, seriously." I felt like an idiot.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
            She walks away in a huff. What the fuck ever. She looked like a guy, and her hair was very short and styled in a mohawk. I don't know of any girls that have hair like that.
            i can look like a guy if you dont realize the whole boobs thing. and i have a full on mohawk. i've been called sir, and depending on the day i've been having, i have gotten offended. sometimes it gets tiring when people arent paying attention, and i can understand getting snippy about it.
            that doesnt excuse her calling you a dumbass though.
            Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

people used to confuse me with my son over the phone before his voice changed...; after awhile, i started taking advantage of the mistake when solicitors called.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth siead_lietrathua View Post
                i can look like a guy if you dont realize the whole boobs thing. and i have a full on mohawk. i've been called sir, and depending on the day i've been having, i have gotten offended. sometimes it gets tiring when people arent paying attention, and i can understand getting snippy about it.
                that doesnt excuse her calling you a dumbass though.
                Me too. I've been into shops (when I had a mohawk) where I've been called Sir, despite wearing low-cut tops. It just smacks of laziness, tbh, all they had to do is take a step back and look.
                I can appreciate the issue when I get called sir when in combats (I used to be a member of the ATC) but when I'm out glammed up with my boyfriend it just stings, really. This has happened when I've been on nights out in coventry.

Comment

I have short hair like that too.

And I think everyone should call me "sir." Or "M'Lord."

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
                    I have short hair like that too.

And I think everyone should call me "sir." Or "M'Lord."
                    M'lord? as in Baldrick in Blackadder?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAHIcbTRDbI

Comment

Some people do this when they would really like to say something snarky to you, but really don't have the balls.

It's a passive aggressive thing.

That's a fancier and kinder word than the more accurate "chickenshit."

Comment

11 posts and no Monty Python quotes?

"Why did you call me Mam?"

"Sorry, I have a cold."
                        "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

My sis used to have very short hair and would be mistaken for a boy. She is...um...very well-blessed with the womanly bits. Still didn't stop people from calling her sir. With longer hair, she still gets mistaken for a man now and then.

Let's face it, being called the wrong gender can be upsetting, regardless of how one dresses. The customer was wrong to hurl insults, but she had every right to correct you and be addressed properly.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I've been mistaken for a female more times than I can count when I let my hair get long.

Do I puff up in righteous outrage and curse out the people who do it? No. That's a buttheaded thing to do. I just say I'm a guy, if I even have to say anything at all, and it's no big deal.

God forbid this cretin should ever get somebody else's gender confused. I'd be really tempted to fire back "Fine bitch, I still need to see your ID."
                            Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 12-07-2010, 12:19 AM.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Why not just fall back to the ever popular: HEY YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X