X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the call that doesn't end....

yes it goes on and on my friends....

So somebody on the salesfloor goes on break and I have to help with customer service and outside calls. Goodie. Oh wait, is that a page for furniture I hear? I'll just go grab that. Furniture is my particular area of expertise; how bad can this be...

Hello, furniture department, how can I help you today?

"Yeah!? I spoke to somebody about an armoire, was that you I talked to earlier? (No, it wasn't.) It's for clothes. It's number XXXXXXX, Orchard Hills collection (not the real name of the collection), spiced pine finish. Do you have it?"

I go look, and confirm we have three of the armoires in stock. I tell this to the caller, who's an elderly lady, apparently a shut-in. Oh, and spellcheck, "armoire" is a real word. Quit flagging it and confusing me kthnxbai.

"Really? That's the Orchard Hills Armoire, Spiced Pine finish, number XXXXXXX. How much is it?"

I put her on hold and look up the price.

"Ah ha, and that's for the Orchard Hills Armoire, (say it with me!) number XXXXXX, Spiced Pine finish. (Very good!)" And it's for clothes, right? How long can you hold it for? I get the floor model right? I don't? I get an unassembled one? Oh no, I can't lift something like that. I lost my husband last year, you may have read about him, he did that thing that one time...."

Oh yeah, right. I know all about that. Continue, as I strangle myself with the phone cord in an attempt to meet your husband personally...

"...and I can't take it. How long do you hold things for? Only until the store closes? That's no good. I guess I could have my nephew come get it. He works at the aluminum foundry. He isn't home yet. Maybe around suppertime....

*SNIP several minutes of additional information*

"...so I called another store in Green Bay to find this armoire. Because they have the same one. Orchard Hills collection, number XXXXXX, spiced pine finish. The woman there was nice but they didn't have it. So I called another store up there and got some guy. He was a real jerk! He has no business working in a store like that! (Watch it lady, I resemble that remark!)"

*SNIP some more information.*

"...so yeah, my neighbor can come get it. Yes, I will get a hold of him and call you back. Thank you for telling me other people are trying to find you. I know I talk too much. It's a habit I have. My husband always said I talked too much. Back in the old days everybody talked and talked. For Christmas dinner we'd always have turkey, which in those days was called a walking bird. And then we'd sit down to watch football, which in those days was called baseball...."

Imagine all of the above in the hoarsest, loudest, old-person voice you can, heard through a pretty bad and old telephone receiver, in a backroom where co-workers are going out of their way to make noise as they see me on the phone with this old crone, and trying not to laugh too hard as I pantomime stabbing this woman in the face through the phone, hanging myself, shooting myself, banging my head against the wall, and so forth.

Good thing people can't see what you're doing over the phone.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Abe Simpson is DEAD?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

did she have an onion tied to her belt, because that was the fashion at the time?
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
        did she have an onion tied to her belt, because that was the fashion at the time?
        did she call turkeys "walking-birds", sauerkraut "liberty cabbage", liberty cabbage "super slaw" and suitcases "swedish lunchboxes?"

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
          did she call turkeys "walking-birds", sauerkraut "liberty cabbage", liberty cabbage "super slaw" and suitcases "swedish lunchboxes?"

No, but she said in those days nickels had bumblebees on them, and people used to say "Gimme five bees for a quarter."
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            No, but she said in those days nickels had bumblebees on them, and people used to say "Gimme five bees for a quarter."
            That was back in nineteen-tickety-two! That was before we had real numbers.
            To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
            To pursue it with forks and hope;
            To threaten its life with a railway share;
            To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Did the caller tell you about the time she saw Bob Barker eating a balogna and cheese ball sandwich? Oops wrong cartoon.

Irv, since your store sells armoires, do you think you can see if you have an Armoire of Invincibility?
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

You might talk to the heirs of C.S. Lewis about that armoire. Or wardrobe.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Good thing people can't see what you're doing over the phone.
                  Trade secret of the phoneslave, Irv.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My car gets 50 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Was she kitting out a dungeon? All the early AD&D modules had armoires in them somewhere. We used to even laugh about there being some rich armoire dealer somewhere that specialized in dungeon armoires, "Guaranteed not to rust, mold, mildew, disolve, rot, tarnish, swell, or divulge contents to random monsters!"
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I get these people frequently. I don't need to know why you have coupons, why you're buying stuff, who you're buying it for, what you did before you came to the store to buy it, etc, etc, on and on. Whole-life-story territory here. I cry inside.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          You might talk to the heirs of C.S. Lewis about that armoire. Or wardrobe.
                          'The Acionyx, the Astrologer and the Armoire' doesn't have the same ring to it.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                            My car gets 50 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!
                            It takes 145 gallons of gas to push your car 825 feet?? Good lord, what are you driving? A freight barge?

Love, Mr. Pedantic

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                              It takes 145 gallons of gas to push your car 825 feet?? Good lord, what are you driving? A freight barge?

Love, Mr. Pedantic
                              That 1978 Pontiac of mine isn't exactly, dainty, on the fuel ya know?
                              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X