This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't ask me a question and contradict the answer

This is from last night at the retail store. My very first customer was hovering over me while I rang up her mountain of stuff because no one ever trusts me to do my job. She asked, as many do, if we had gift boxes. They usually mean free ones, which we don't, so my stock answer is "We should have some in dept A and dept B." This lets them know we have them, and they are for sale. Her response? A tight-lipped, "Then the answer is no." Um, no, that's not what I said. You asked if we have them, and we do. It's just a form of arguing the point, which I hate. When all was said and done, she decided to rebag some items and leave her cart right in front of my register, probably to make some EW point. So glad I spent only 15 mins of my 8-hr cashier shift actually cashiering.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I hate when people do that. If you want to know if there were free ones you ask if the store provides gift boxes or if you offer gift wrapping services (which you should be aware that some places charge for). Just because you can't be bothered to be precise doesn't mean you have any right to take it out on other people.

Comment

If people do that to me my response is usually some variation of "so why did you ask?"

Comment

Why are people like this?

Because, they can't grasp that not liking the answer does not invalidate it

Ah, but, they don't like THAT answer, so they invalidate it too!

IRONY! You'll see it this Sunday, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          Why are people like this?

Because, they can't grasp that not liking the answer does not invalidate it
          Ain't that the truth!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Try this little story on for size. Back a few years ago my shift was almost up and I was getting ready to turn off my light, when a customer walks up to my lane and sees me reaching for the switch.
            SC: Are you open?
            Me: Yes, I can ring you up.
            SC: You don't look like you're open.
            Me: Yes, I'm open. You can come through.
            SC: You look like you're ready to leave.
            Me: I can still check you out.
            SC: You're closed, aren't you?
            Me (thinking): Yes, stupid customer. I am closed. Especially since you insist on telling me that I am closed when I've told you a few times already that I'm freakin open!
            Me: I'm still open. Come on through and I'll check you out.
            SC: That's alright, I can see you don't want to be bothered and that you just want to leave. Great customer service skills. Good-bye.
            They leave and walk off in a huff.
            Ok what part of "I am open, I can check you out" is telling the customer that I am closed? If I was closed and anxious to leave, I would've shut off my light and walked away, pretending that I didn't see or hear the customer. Looking back, that probably woulda been the better thing to do.

Comment

"I'm not annoyed because I want to leave. I'm annoyed that you keep asking the same question." Since when does Great Customer Service dictate what you should feel?
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I've come to expect that unless they ask if you want one, most stores don't offer free gift boxes anymore. I think it's been years since they've been offered. I will ask if I'm getting a gift, but since most of the stuff I get usually gets shipped unwrapped, I don't bother to ask.
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I have a theory. The theory is, that the SC's are not bright enough to understand the answer, so they keep asking in the vain hope that the little hamster wheel they have in their head (no hamster mind, no self respecting hamster would ever bother) will turn and the lightbulb will go off..unfortunately..it hasn't yet..so they keep asking.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I bought jeans for my MIL at Lane Bryant. I got a free gift box. They asked me if I wanted it. Otherwise, I'd have bought some from the dollar store.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      the vain hope that the little hamster wheel they have in their head (no hamster mind, no self respecting hamster would ever bother) will turn and the lightbulb will go off..unfortunately..it hasn't yet.
                      ...kinda tough with no hamster to make it spin
                      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
                        I was once told, in regards to someone who was rather bright with a strange thought pattern, "The wheel's spinning, but the hamster's dead." Always rather liked that take on the phrase.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
                          Exactly . Since we all know that hamsters are smarter then these SC's, they would never lower themselves to powering that wheel .
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Then there are the SCs that have a hamster on a bent wheel, half the slats missing. The rabid zombie HAMSTER! of Cthulu is powering their thoughts.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                              Since we all know that hamsters are smarter then these SC's........

Q: Why are hamsters smarter than SC's?

A: Hamsters have a much larger brain.

Mike
                              Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                              X