This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont work for free

Today, I got to work a bit early, so before clocking in, I decided to see if there were a couple of things I could get my kids for Christmas. As I am heading to the toy aisles, an elderly lady asks me if I work here. I tell her, I do, but I am not on the clock so therefore can't help. I point 10 feet ahead of us to a co-worker and tell the lady to ask her for help and she will be happy to assist you.

After clocking in, the co-worker I pointed out asks me if I told a woman I couldnt help her because I was clocking in. I said yeah, that was me. I asked the co-worker what the old lady needed help with. The old lady said she didn't need help anymore, but she just wanted to tell someone that I refused to help her even though I wasnt clocked in.

10 minutes pass and I see the old lady looking at some video games. I walk up and say."now that I am clocked in, is there something I can help you find." The look on her face was priceless. Looked like she had just smell a piece of cat poop. She told me no thank you and I went back about my business.

I'd love to have that complaint directed at me so I could put her in her place. "Our employees are not required, nor allowed to work off the clock, as it is illegal." Anymore complaining and I grab one of the labor law posters. Seriously.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Even though you weren't clocked in? I wonder if she kept a straight face when she said that....
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

I remember one from the hardware store, I was clocked out eating lunch in the backroom when I was paged up to the Paint Dept. Boss #2(the sister) had two upset customers and no one else was working paint that day. Both customers started going at once, but I excused myself so I could clock in (and get away from them for a moment).

I already knew neither was going to be happy, but after I clocked back in I was able to take each one at a time. The man was upset because the gallon of paint he bought earlier that day still had a speck or two of colorant visible, so I put it back in the shaker. Why he didn't use the dozen of paint sticks he grabbed when he bought the paint I don't know.

The lady was in the middle of a project and we had ordered some of the then new eggshell sheen for her and the warehouse sent the wrong paint. I had already called every other hardware store in the state, but we were the only one with the new paint.

After I clocked back out and went back to my lunch, Boss#2 came back and chewed me out for clocking back in. Her argument was that I could have just "told her" I had some "ff the clock" time and she would have "fixed it".

Right, everyone who believes that, stand on your head.
        "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Right, everyone who believes that, stand on your head.
          Agreed!

I'm paid by the hour. You want me to work past my scheduled shift? Time and a half, buddy.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            I'd love to have that complaint directed at me so I could put her in her place. "Our employees are not required, nor allowed to work off the clock, as it is illegal." Anymore complaining and I grab one of the labor law posters. Seriously.
            Be more bold. I always tell the SC that I would have written up the employee for working off the clock. That usually makes them think that I'm the asshat and leave.

Comment

I am paid evaluated time and I hate when I go over my time so you better believe I do my best to not to talk to any customers that make my time longer. I already get screwed by supervisors to get paid so I so don't want to be working more hours than I am getting paid.

Comment

That is exactly why I always wore a jumper or coat over my uniform until the very moment I stepped onto the floor at the Big Evil Supermarket. I have a "can I help you" face anyway. ALL customers gravitate to me for help ALL the time.
                A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                - Dave Barry

Comment

Ya know, there are a few good companies that enforce the do not work off the clock rule and I enjoy hearing all about them because; Safeway was not one of them (or at least my store) you would be written up for not helping a customer if they asked for help while you were 1. before your shift and showed up a little early 2. on lunch 3. leaving for the day they gave us the speech of "you wear our uniform so you are required to act like your on the clock whenever you wear it, punched in or not." The union got wind of this, but didn't seem to do anything..
                  Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                  pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

I love it when I'm obviously shopping and people still ask me for help. I'm talking purse over the shoulder, jacket on, and pushing a shopping cart. I don't mind if it's just a quick 'what aisle are the canned vegetables on?" but it irks me when they don't even ask nicely.
                    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

there was a reason I never put my uniform on until I had clocked in.

I'm sorry, if a job requires a uniform then you have to give me time to change into it on site. When my boss told me off for doing this I stated "You think I'm going to put on bakers whites, then do a 3 mile journey on a bike through muddy streets? sure if you want me to come in ion bakers browns..."
                      "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                      Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

My boss doesn't even like you discussing work matters while off the clock. So I have no problem telling folks I'm off the clock, no matter how much of an asshole they are about it. I certainly don't think they would help me at their job if they weren't being paid to do so.
                        Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Today I had one woman watch me take off my vest and clearly tell my supervisor that I was going on break, and then try to corner me to help her look at things in one of our locked cases. Thankfully my coworker was near so I directed him to her. She did try to argue that she wanted me to help her, but I was already booking it for the stairs.

I do not put my vest on until I am downstairs on the sales floor. If I am going on break, my vest stays behind the counter. If I am leaving, I take it off and wad it up under my arm so it is not easily visible. Otherwise I get stopped half a million times by people and they get pissed if I tell them it's not my department and direct them to a coworker.

Comment

Quoth wraiths_crono View Post
                            Ya know, there are a few good companies that enforce the do not work off the clock rule
                            I'm fairly certain it varies by state -- but here, it is a Law-with-a-capital-L. Good luck enforcing it, tho >_>
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X