Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Douchiness combined with one of my pet peeves (LANGUAGE)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douchiness combined with one of my pet peeves (LANGUAGE)

One of my pet peeves at my hotel is guests who do not know how to turn the shower faucet on. Yea, I'll facepalm every time I get a call, and ya I might secretly think they're an idiot, but I will be polite as I explain how to do this.

Unless you're this SC. If you're anything like this SC, you'll call down and the first thing you ask is "How do I turn the motherfucking shower on?" Then yes, I will be a little condescending. I might even hint at the diagram on the wall in a very obvious place. I might even put you on hold so I can quickly answer the other incoming call. But I'll still help you. Sort of.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Lol! I remember a shower in our very-modern hotel room in London years ago. Neither my husband nor I had ever seen anything like it, and neither of us could figure out how to turn it on. We did have to call the front desk to ask.
    The fellow there had a really stong non-English accent and we had a hard time understanding him...so he finally had to send someone up to help us. We were so embarrassed....but we were polite about it.
    (there were no diagrams....I just couldn't believe there would be a shower faucet anywhere in the world I couldn't figure out...but this one stumped me!)
    I no longer fear HELL.
    I work in RETAIL.

Comment

There's a system apparently common in the US which was completely alien to me (an Australian) when I went there.

But once I'd had it shown to me once, I could figure out most of the variations on my own.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Honestly, I tend to have that problem a lot. But I try to figure it out on my own or if I'm really desperate--I haven't traveled by myself yet where I couldn't figure it out, so I ask someone I'm with. I can have a bath, I just...for some weird reason...CANNOT figure showers out.

I don't really see how "how do I turn this motherfucking shower on" is going to help matters, however. And how does HE know it's a motherfucker?
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
          And how does HE know it's a motherfucker?
          The DNA test + support order.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I haven't traveled for some years now, but I remember that one thing that used to annoy the hell out of me was trying to figure out how the shower at the hotel worked. No two places ever had the same design, none of them had a diagram and getting the water to come out of the shower head instead of the tub faucet was always difficult...the damn thing would stick, or the pressure was wonky, etc. You wouldn't think something like this would be tricky, but it almost always was.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I grew up with one knob, pull on it and you have a shower. Rented at a place with two knobs, there was a switch UNDER the faucet into the tub. My place now has three knobs... Turn the middle one between shower and bath.

I did stay at one place before that completely confuzzled me. One knob that didn't push pull tilt... Nothing. Finally had to steal someone that knew how to turn on the shower... Don't know what he did but he did tell ms how to turn off the water.

Comment

Then there's the ones where it's not entirely clear which way is hot and which way is cold..... a hotel I stay at a lot has those, and I have to think about it every time.

The faucets have a single lever that sticks out at the bottom. So: do you push the end of the lever to the left for hot and right for cold, or are you supposed to think of the whole thing as one big knob... counter-clockwise for hot, clockwise for cold? I usually lose about 50% of the time when guessing.....
                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  I grew up with one knob, pull on it and you have a shower. Rented at a place with two knobs, there was a switch UNDER the faucet into the tub. My place now has three knobs... Turn the middle one between shower and bath.
                  The house I grew up in had the three knob system, a rather old one at that.

It would be nice if all the hotels simplified things with a standard system, or at least put an instruction sheet by the shower. Swearing at the help isn't acceptable at all, and won't do a bit of good anyway.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                    The faucets have a single lever that sticks out at the bottom. So: do you push the end of the lever to the left for hot and right for cold, or are you supposed to think of the whole thing as one big knob... counter-clockwise for hot, clockwise for cold? I usually lose about 50% of the time when guessing.....
                    It really doesn't matter what it is... lever, knob, slider, etc. If you want hot, you push the indicator portion to the left. With a knob, the indicator is at the top, so you go counter-clockwise , which is left. Levers, like you get with a lot of commercial sinks, again push left, which would generally be clockwise, since they're usually located on the bottom of the faucet.

I have yet to encounter a shower arrangement that I couldn't figure out. I've had the single knob that you pull out for shower, a lever beneath the tub faucet, a pull valve on the top of the faucet, a valve release on the shower head, and a push valve on the wall between the faucet and shower head.

I'd be curious to see other types of shower arrangements.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think the neatest shower I saw wasn't at a hotel but at the sleep clinic I went to about a year and a half ago. It had one for hot, one for cold and it was just a shower. But it would let you set the temperature of the water before you actually turned it on, so rather than waiting for it to warm up, you'd get the water at the desired temperature. There was also a panel you could use inside the shower to adjust the heating as needed.

It was in only one room, which I found out later was what the nurses called the "experimental room" because that's where they tried all the new things the hospital got trials of. What better place than a sleep clinic where you have to wash off all the gunk when you get strapped up with diodes and dodads?
                      Random conversation:
                      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Ironic title, considering "douche" is French for "shower". I assume the "intimate care product" acquired that name in English by being a localized shower, presumably originating in France.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          It really doesn't matter what it is... lever, knob, slider, etc. If you want hot, you push the indicator portion to the left. With a knob, the indicator is at the top, so you go counter-clockwise , which is left. Levers, like you get with a lot of commercial sinks, again push left, which would generally be clockwise, since they're usually located on the bottom of the faucet.
                          Unless the water lines are hooked up backwards. My grandma's bathroom when she bought her home (manufactered double-wide) was hooked up wrong, but of course the whole house was assembled wrong because the people who assembled it never bothered to check if the ground was level.
                          I've been to at least two hotels where it was opposite as well.
                          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

My late grandmother's place was like that too. Her house, was built in the 1860s...and didn't get indoor plumbing until the kitchen was added in 1920. Most of the time, the hot water faucet was on the left. That is, unless you were using the shower in the basement. For whatever reason, probably someone hooking up the wrong pipe, the hot water was on the right. I can't tell how many relatives were shocked when they inadvertently increased the *cold* water some winter night
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We've not had a shower call thankfully, but sinks are constant at my hotel. To un plug it, yes you have the push the plug down, so it's on it's side.
                              "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Working...
                              X