This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blip on the Creepy Radar

Today was busy, though I spent most of my shift tidying things up. There was one customer I helped out with printer ink that creeped me out some, though. He was a friendly enough middle-aged man, and maybe he was just being friendly, but... He just made me uncomfortable. Was looking for the right ink for his wife's printer, and we made a little small talk. He asked for my name at one point - not uncommon, some customers prefer going to the same sales clerks.

He thought my name was pretty and said such a few times, which is also something I get with frequency - my first name is unusual and Celtic in origin. However, that coupled with the following questions and the fact he touched my shoulder twice just really sent my creepiness meter waaay up:

+ Are you originally from around here?
    + What did you get your husband for Christmas? (I never mentioned my marital status or even if I was dating someone; he was obviously trying to find out if I was married or not, the way he was asking)
    + Does your family still live nearby?

I kept my focus on the ink and kept the conversation at that best I could, found his ink, wished him a good evening and got the heck out of there fast as I could. And I kept an extra wary eye while walking to my car after shift - just in case.

Quoth SeasonalSlave View Post
    + What did you get your husband for Christmas?
    Oh, he's the jealous type, so to make him feel better I got him a Rottweiler puppy and a hand gun.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

That was cause for being concerned all right.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

O__O Uh, YEAH creeeeeeeper! Bears they're getting brassy! gah.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Live? No they're close by though, the voices told me to keep them close.....
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

maybe he was just being friendly, but...
            No "but" about it. He was getting way too personal, so yeah, definitely creep material. If your gut gives you a red alert about someone, listen to it. Too many women ignore the warning signs because they "don't want to be rude" and "don't want to cause a scene" and end up getting hurt. That politeness and demureness is just what the creeps are counting on.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

What did you get your husband for Christmas?
              "A chainsaw and a shotgun"

never hurts to scare the creepies away

Comment

"Oh nothing yet, but I did find another head for his collection."
                I may have said this at one point...but yeah creepy creeper was definitely creeping.
                Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

He was getting too personal.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

When people ask creepy questions I'll flat out lie and make up a story about my truck driver/military/etc type husband that of course, doesn't really exist. It usually works
                    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I despise it when men ask about boyfriends or husbands. It's so transparent it's embarassing.

Stop trying to manipulate me and just freaking ask outright. Jeeeze. Seriously, it's all I can do to not roll my eyes in the guy's face. Just a bad pet peeve of mine.

And you're right, the touching coupled with the game of twenty personal questions is creepy.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        No "but" about it. He was getting way too personal, so yeah, definitely creep material.
                        I seriously doubt he was just being friendly - seriously, seriously doubt it. Just simply mentioning there's a small, small possibility it might be the case.

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        I despise it when men ask about boyfriends or husbands. It's so transparent it's embarassing.

Stop trying to manipulate me and just freaking ask outright. Jeeeze. Seriously, it's all I can do to not roll my eyes in the guy's face. Just a bad pet peeve of mine.
                        I agree completely. Granted, I thankfully rarely get bothered by such things (possibly because I often hang out with my guy friends - almost all of whom are taller than six feet ), but the fact any of these idiots think they're being subtle is eyeroll-inducing. I actually had to withhold a snort when he asked about my husband (which no - I don't have. But that's not his damn business anyway). Talking directly about the printer and ink stopped most of his questions in their tracks, thankfully. I think he quickly realized I wasn't even going to recognize his probing. Usually works for me.

Comment

I like to screw with them by being completely obtuse on the answers.

"What are you getting your boyfriend for Christmas?" "Oh, I'm not into gift giving."

"Does you boyfriend like you working here?" "Ha. I don't like me working here."

You get the drift.

Comment

I like the way you think, RK.

Either way, questions like those don't deserve the answers that are being probed for.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I was a bit obtuse on the husband question, "I have all the gifts I need for the holidays." And then it was back to printers.

Haven't seen the guy again, which is good. To be on the safe side though, I now carry my pepper spray with me to work and one of my male coworkers walked with me to my car since I got off late tonight. I'd rather be a little paranoid and play it safe than be careless.

Though now I sort of wish I had "accidentally" mentioned in my conversation with Mr. Creepy that I take Taekwondo and I'm quite good with push and ax kicks (which is NOT a lie ).

Comment

Working...
                              X