This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear god just go away.

SC:"so what's the best deal laptop wise? It better be the one I'm thinking of..."
    Oh god I hate you already, I used to get this let's play coy and waste time stuff with the call center from customers who want me to do something but won't tell me what.

Also asking me what the best bang for your buck on a laptop is not really a question I can ask you without asking you at least 3 other questions, buying a laptop is not always simple.

Immediately asking me about free stuff if you buy 2 does not endear you too me. we had a guy a couple months ago buy 5000 dollars worth of stuff, he didn't get anything free and neither are you.

Stop asking for free stuff.

I really don't think you're funny, seriously stop asking for free stuff.

STOP FUCKING ASKING.

And don't be upset with me when I tell the setup that includes $80 software is $130, if it's a service we charge for it, in fact considering how long setups can take and we make sure the computer is working saving you have to bring it back they are actually a good deal.

Seriously we are not a flea market, our prices are set by someone way above my head who is also above my manager's head, we get people in here every day wanting discounts on items and quite frankly it aint gonna happen.

You are buying two laptops, they are already 100 dollars off each, this time of year if you don't buy it I'll sell it tomorrow, in fact those just came in today, on the weekend we were out of them, hell we were out of that entire brand, (toshiba) and had to transfer them in or sell display models, you got them on the spot which being this close to christmas you were really lucky to do.

Also Firefox if gonna is a word then so is aint.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

So I was considering buying a laptop...*ducks and hides* sorry...honestly when it comes to technology .. those who work in retail or service can get the worst customers .. like me. I have a vague idea, of a general notion..of what I want and need. Beyond that...once I was an Alpha Geek, now I barely qualify as a Geek
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I will spend 30 minutes with a customer sometimes and don't mind doing it all, I get some of the dumbest questions ever believe me, it is my job to help people with laptops do not be afraid to ask a question that you think might be stupid. This guy right from the start was playing games with me, he already new what he wanted and what he was going with and was wasting my time, there are more things he asked about a few things and then he asked me: do you have any of these in? they were supposed to come in today. He knew exactly what laptop he wanted, I didn't list everything he said.

I had to spend way too long explaining that a corded mouse communicates with the computer through a cord to a different customer.

Comment

*nods* Yeah I always feel sympathy for retail people..especially so when it involves technology. There should be some sort of test people have to take before they can even LOOK at tech (or at least for some SC's)
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Sounds like you might work for the same chain I do, gremcint. And I feel your pain - I've already lost track of how many catbutt faces I've gotten when people ask for the $299, $399, and $349 laptops that have been on sale since about Black Friday. I've had many, many conversations similar to this:

"Are you freaking kidding me?" (Actual quote from a customer)

"No sir, I am not 'freaking' kidding you." (Actual response by me)

"What's the cheapest laptop you have in stock?"

"Nothing lower than $449 right now."

"I don't want to pay that much."

Well then, you're shit out of luck. We're not going to magically lower the price for you if it's not already on sale. Computers are already sold at or below cost, to where we sometimes lose money when we sell a laptop if you don't buy any services with it. And it's less than a week before Christmas. Did you really think you were the only person who noticed these sales in the flyer? We're in the busiest/biggest shopping area in the state, how is this simple fact a surprise to you by now?

Besides, most of the cheap laptops we have advertised are complete crap - yes, even for your 10-year-old who will just "use it to surf the web." No matter how many times I try to explain to people why buying a Windows 7 64-bit laptop with a Celeron processor and 2 GB of RAM is a BAD idea if they want something for the long run, some just look at that price tag and refuse to get anything else but the crap we have holiday specials on.

(Not all our sale laptops are garbage, though. We have a deal on a Toshiba with an i3 processor; very nice laptop for under $500. Of course, we're long out of stock on that too.)
          Last edited by SeasonalSlave; 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM.

Comment

yeah, we've had a couple nice ones go on sale but a lot of the sales are from a brand I do not endorse at all.

though all of our laptops have at least 3g of ram.
            Last edited by gremcint; 12-21-2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Quoth SeasonalSlave View Post
              (Not all our sale laptops are garbage, though. We have a deal on a Toshiba with an i3 processor; very nice laptop for under $500. Of course, we're long out of stock on that too.)
              Yep, the local "yellow tag" had plenty of nice laptops on sale. But, the one I wanted was either out of stock, or not carried. The closest model by the same manufacturer wasn't bad...but it had a smaller screen, smaller hard drive, etc. Rather than throw a fit, I simply ordered what I wanted online, and had it shipped to the store. Yellow Tag even got it in early for me
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                I had to spend way too long explaining that a corded mouse communicates with the computer through a cord to a different customer.
                Just wait until you have to explain why the battery went dead on a wireless computer! ("What do you mean I have to plug it in to charge? IT'S WIRELESS!")
                I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                  *nods* Yeah I always feel sympathy for retail people..especially so when it involves technology. There should be some sort of test people have to take before they can even LOOK at tech (or at least for some SC's)
                  "Is the device you use to move the pointer on screen:
                  A: A doohickey
                  B:A goddamned nuisance
                  C: A thingy
                  D: A mouse.

Is your computer's operating system:
                  A:Windows
                  B:Apple
                  C:What?
                  D:Whats a system?

Your computer is.....
                  A:A useful tool
                  B:A toy
                  C:A doorstop
                  D:A goddamned devil machine

If your computer is freezing up at times, what is the correct first step to troubleshoot?
                  A: Reboot it
                  B: Warm it up in the fire so it'll stop freezin
                  C:Scream at tech support about the demons in the machine
                  D: Shotgun.
                  *~*THIS SIG HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!*~*

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.-Elijah Snow

Comment

"Is the device you use to move the pointer on screen:
                    A: A doohickey
                    B:A goddamned nuisance
                    C: A thingy
                    D: A mouse.

Is your computer's operating system:
                    A:Windows
                    B:Apple
                    C:What?
                    D:Whats a system?

Your computer is.....
                    A:A useful tool
                    B:A toy
                    C:A doorstop
                    D:A goddamned devil machine

If your computer is freezing up at times, what is the correct first step to troubleshoot?
                    A: Reboot it
                    B: Warm it up in the fire so it'll stop freezin
                    C:Scream at tech support about the demons in the machine
                    D: Shotgun.

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

Question 1: D
                      Question 2: A. Only on 2 of my machines however.
                      Question 3: A, B and occasionally C until I pull a Doc Frankenstein.
                      Question 4: A. D when all other options have been exhausted. Tech options. Like reformat and reinstall.
                      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

What happened to the option of hitting the carriage return lever and how do you change the ribbon?

Comment

Quoth Duelist925 View Post
                          C:Scream at tech support about the demons in the machine.
                          in my defense my computer does on occasion have a demon as wallpaper...
                          Attached Files
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I tend to favor "Control/Alt/Delete" together, and shutting down whichever extraneous program is sucking up most of the memory.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                              I tend to favor "Control/Alt/Delete" together, and shutting down whichever extraneous program is sucking up most of the memory.
                              But then how do you get any work done after shutting down Windows?
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X