Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An early Christmas present... For someone.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An early Christmas present... For someone.

A customer came into our shop on sat night and said she had taken £150 out of the cashpoint, put it in her pocket and come in to do some shopping. It was only after she left the store that she realised she had dropped the money somewhere inside.

Of course first impression SCAMMER!!! But on checking our security cams with her I realised she was telling the truth. She bent down to pick something off a lower shelf, and as she stood up and turned away a bunch of £20 notes fell out of her coat pocket. Less than a minute later o e of the local scrotes walked around the aisle end, saw this money lying there and thought his christmas had come early.

We reported this to the local police, who went round to speak to him the next day. I don't know yet what happened.

It's bad enough he's picked up this money and not handed it in

It's worse that he's done it a week before Christmas. A lot of our customers are elderly, it could have been money for Christmas presents, heating he'll even their entire weeks pension.

But it takes the biscuit for him to stroll in on Monday night and look around the floor while joking "Never know, I could find another 100 quid" then laughing like a sodomised donkey.

I do want the customer to get her money back, but I'd also like my boss to ban him if he hasn't. Let's see the git when he can't get his vodka and munchies at a nighttime.

I'm not familiar with laws where you live, but couldn't you contact the police and make a statement attesting to hearing him confess to finding the money? It might not have a lot of weight, but it might be enough to have something done about his theft.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

It is a pity that she lost the money. However, it would be a good idea for her to keep it in a more secure place than a pocket (women's clothing pockets are ridiculously shallow, I think the manufacturers do that on purpose). A good purse (with a long strap that slings the purse from one shoulder to the opposite hip), a money belt, a bum bag, any of those are better than a pocket.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I agree completely about the pockets. That's why my first thought was scam. As to laws etc. The police were involved, it's just one of those funny areas. Was the money lost, does it count as theft?

My take on it is that if it's on our premises then it belongs to us. So really he stole from the shop. And if he's dishonest enough to take that and walk out, it seems to me that he's more than likely to steal merchandise as well. Unfortunately it's not my decision. I've only worked with my manager for a couple of hours on Monday, and I've got a couple of days off now. But I will be talking to her on Thursday.

Comment

I believe the crime committed is called "Theft by finding". (Basically finding money/wallet/etc and keeping it)

On a similar note, People have been charged for that crime when simply handing in a found wallet into a police station on occasion. -_-

And now back to lurking. ^_^

Edit: It's a UK law. ^_^

Comment

Quoth Bunny the Veggie Slayer View Post
            I agree completely about the pockets. That's why my first thought was scam. As to laws etc. The police were involved, it's just one of those funny areas. Was the money lost, does it count as theft?
            From what I understand, keeping lost money (or items) without attempting to contact the owner or giving them a chance to contact you is theft.

It's just that most people don't kick up a fuss until it gets to some value threshold.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This is exactly why I never carry a lot of cash around with me. Yes, it would be a hassle for someone to steal my debit card. But at least I can fix it. With cash, you lose it, you're screwed. I never carry more than 10 bucks, and that's only for the vending machines at work.
              Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Working...
              X