This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Big PILE

One of my last deliveries tonight was shall we say kinda interesting. interesting in a strange way

I park on a sidestreet since the house is on the corner of a major street and a minor street. I start to walk around to the front of the house. as I shine my flashlight near the front door, I see a big pile of snow. now this is not that unusual at this time of year (esp after all of the snow we have had in the last week). as I round the corner I see the pile of snow is on TOP of the front steps.

The homeowner had literally piled their shovelings onto their front steps and had blocked in the front door. the pile was high enough that the front door was 1) not accessable and 2. not even visible.

OK so I retreat back to the side street and walk around to the side of the house to where the garage is. OK that way is clear. BUT WAIT the decide to park BOTH of their cars right infront of and within inches away from both the garage door and the garage access door.

Time to call the customer. I call to let them know there is NO way to get to any of their doors and could they please open the garage door so I can deliver the order.

they guy goes intothe garage and takes like 3 minutes trying to open the access door. finally he gets the main garage door open and the delivery takes place

why in all that is holy would someone shovel and pile their snow infront of their front door?????

One more RANT

In my area their must be literally something in the air as I would say about 50% of my regular residencial customers have broken porch lights. whether is is a burned out bulb, a broken fixture, bad wiring or whatever HOW FRACKING hard is it to fix?????? I can buy a cheap one at the local big box store for like $10 and light bulbs (even the CF squiggly) are cheap as well.

But then again it just might make my job a LOT eaiser if they had a working porch light..
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

If snow is blockading all access, I can only hope the mailbox is along the curb where the carrier can get to it. Be safe on those snowy/icy walkways.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
      One more RANT

In my area their must be literally something in the air as I would say about 50% of my regular residencial customers have broken porch lights. whether is is a burned out bulb, a broken fixture, bad wiring or whatever HOW FRACKING hard is it to fix?????? I can buy a cheap one at the local big box store for like $10 and light bulbs (even the CF squiggly) are cheap as well.

But then again it just might make my job a LOT eaiser if they had a working porch light..
      Or perhaps they don't even have the light on. I always love it when I get a new customer, and neither they nor any of their neighbors leaves any lights on for me. Yeah, me poking around people's houses with a flashlight at 3am doesn't make me look suspicious at all.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I smell a business opportunity here. Maybe you could make some money on the side repairing porch lights?

Comment

I used to Deliver, too; I feel your pain. There is one thing worse than those, however -- people who live on streets with very few (if any) proper street lights (no, those damn amber lights that are set 50 feet apart with a ten-foot light radius DO NOT COUNT!) who have hard-to-find address numbers and don't leave their porch lights on...Naturally, these are usually the high-maintenance customers (read: filthy stinking rich ones)... Bad lighting, doors hidden behind high hedges, few house lights...and they wonder why criminals love to target them >_>
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

why in all that is holy would someone shovel and pile their snow infront of their front door?
            Probably they were too busy ordering pants from Gravekeeper to finish the job.
            FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

One more RANT

As Evil HOA Managerâ„¢, I send letters out monthly for things like this. The response I usually get back is that it's not the owner's fault that the light bulb burned out, the fixture was broken, or pieces are missing. Sometimes I get conspiracy stories sent back about how the local mail carrier damaged it (seriously!), or that some kid went around stealing all the bulbs.

I totally understand that it's not your fault that it ended up this way. But as the owner you still need to fix it!

Comment

why in all that is holy would someone shovel and pile their snow infront of their front door?????
                When I lived in Benson (rural) our front door was to be used only when someone was carried through it: Weddings & funerals.

(the "front yard" was about an acre, and all the parking was in back)
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  I used to Deliver, too; I feel your pain. There is one thing worse than those, however -- people who live on streets with very few (if any) proper street lights (no, those damn amber lights that are set 50 feet apart with a ten-foot light radius DO NOT COUNT!) who have hard-to-find address numbers and don't leave their porch lights on...Naturally, these are usually the high-maintenance customers (read: filthy stinking rich ones)... Bad lighting, doors hidden behind high hedges, few house lights...and they wonder why criminals love to target them >_>
                  These people will get theirs, when something serious happens to them, they call an ambulance, and the ambulance can't find their house.

The local volunteer ambulance squad has been begging people for years to get lighted house numbers, but not everyone has.

Comment

See, this is something I never really understood. As a kid I always thought it was common & safe practice to always leave your porch light on. As I grew up, I noticed this wasn't true...if someone knocked on your door at night, how are you going to see who they are? Are you going to turn on the porch light while they're standing there? What if they're someone you don't want to talk too? Or they're just checking houses out?

I know that this doesn't count for people who have motion detector ones, but most people don't have those!

I don't know, I guess I also grew up super paranoid.... (thanks dad!)

Comment

ok, when I hear about the snow in front of the door thing, It makes me think of a joke my brother's friends played on him in high school when they found out that he had to shovel the driveway.

they shoveled my front yard and piled it all in the driveway. (thankfully they had the foresight to tell me that they were doing it, so I could move my car out)

So maybe it was someone playing a joke.
                      http://footloosecomic.com Pirate Faeries!!

Comment

Quoth venroses View Post
                        I know that this doesn't count for people who have motion detector ones, but most people don't have those!

OH the motion detector ones are the worst. when I do Finally find the address somewhere on the house or garage or tree and I start to walk up the driveway OR the front steps, I am suddenly blinded by the searchlight like lights.

Comment

Quoth venroses View Post
                          See, this is something I never really understood. As a kid I always thought it was common & safe practice to always leave your porch light on. As I grew up, I noticed this wasn't true...if someone knocked on your door at night, how are you going to see who they are? Are you going to turn on the porch light while they're standing there? What if they're someone you don't want to talk too? Or they're just checking houses out?

Once, the light on our back porch was burned out. Before we had a chance to replace it, someone cut through our bike locks and stole Hubby's bike. It was literally only one night and someone used the chance to steal out stuff! (It is very dark back there when there's no light, and there's just woods behind our building.) We always keep it on as a theft-deterrent!
                          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

they guy goes intothe garage and takes like 3 minutes trying to open the access door. finally he gets the main garage door open and the delivery takes place

I'm almost afraid to ask...

Please tell me he tipped. Assholish either way, but *slightly* more tolerable if he at least tipped.
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                              I'm almost afraid to ask...

Please tell me he tipped. Assholish either way, but *slightly* more tolerable if he at least tipped.
                              not really. Got a $1 on a $26 order. yes technically a "tip" but.......

Comment

Working...
                              X