This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOU NEED TO SPEAK LOUDER, and big whiney pouty woman

It's a busy Sunday night before Christmas and we're open until midnight tonight!!! YAAAAAAYYY!!

I'm tiding up the food section of the store with a few other members of my team when I get a call over the walkie from the operator asking me to take an electronics call. That's a little odd, I thought, since electronics has its own dedicated phones and employees. I didn't think too much of it, and walked over to the sporting goods department's phone to answer.

GQ: me
    DB: deaf bitch

GQ: Electronics department, can I help you find something?

DB: Speak louder please. <in a rather commanding tone>

GQ: This is the electronics department. Can I help you find something?

DB: You need to speak louder.

GQ: *Repeat*

DB: I bought one of your antenna converters for my TV and it's having problems.

GQ: Okay. When did you buy the converter?

DB: YOU NEED TO SPEAK LOUDER.

*By this time, I've begun to speak pretty loudly into the mouthpiece, so much so that a couple customers have stared at me while walking by.*

GQ: WHEN DID YOU BUY THIS CONVERTER?

DB: Oh I don't know, about two years ago?

GQ: OH, I SEE. WELL MA'AM WE ONLY COVER ITEMS FOR 90 DAYS. UNLESS YOU BOUGHT A SERVICE PLAN OF SOME SORTS, YOU'LL HAVE TO GET IN CONTACT WITH THE MANUFACTURER FOR THEIR WARRANTY INFORMATION.

DB: I can't hear you, you need to talk louder.

GQ: SORRY, LET ME FIX THE PHONE. *adjusting a non-existent knob*

DB: Talk louder.

GQ: THERE, IS THAT BETTER?

DB Yes. Some people talk too low.

GQ: OKAY. ANYWAYS, YOU NEED TO GET IN CONTACT WITH THE MANUFACTURER IF SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE ITEM.

DB: Well I don't know if it's the antenna converter or the TV.

GQ: I'M SORRY MA'AM, BUT I'M REALLY NOT ABLE TO DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. HAVE YOU LOOKED FOR HELP ONLINE OR ASKED SOMEONE TO CHECK THE TV AND CONVERTER OUT FOR YOU?

DB: Well, I need speak with someone that knows something about what I'm talking about.

GQ: OKAY. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO GET THE HEAD ELECTRONICS MANAGER? *no such position*

DB: Yes, do that. I need to know what's wrong. Could it be the weather or the rain? *it is pouring in Southern California right now*

GQ: IT COULD BE. PLEASE HOLD AND I'LL TRANSFER YOU TO HER RIGHT NOW.

DB: What?

*transfer*

I put the call back on hold. Then I walkied the electronics team member by name and told her she had a call on line 33. I didn't hear a response, but didn't care and went back to my work, since it was one of those nights when NO ONE would reply to any sort of request over the walkies.

Later in the night when I was walking by the electronics department, I asked her if she helped the deaf lady, to which she replied "Who. Um no."

I guess I accidentally hung up on her. Oh well....

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Later in the night I'm covering electronic's 45-minute lunch/dinner break.
    It's a little slow for a few minutes, so I'm just tidying things up.

Then this big black mournful-looking lady walks up to me.

GQ: me
    WB: whiny bitch

WB: I can't find the ink for my printerrrrrrr
    GQ: I can check for you. Which printer do you have?
    WB: I already looooked. It's not there.
    GQ: I can look to see if we have some in the back. Which one did you need?
    WB: *Thrusts two cartridges at me.* Theeeeeeese
    GQ: Okay, we can go check them out.

So we walk a few aisles down to the ink. I'm going through the motions of showing her where one of them is and where the other one should be when I notice both are black cartridges. As far as I'm aware, I've never run into an HP Inkjet printer that had two black cartridges with different codes.

GQ: Excuse me, which one were you looking for? These are different types.
    WB: My brother took both of them out of the printer and told me to get them. He said it's okay if I get that one, but he REALLLYYYY prefers the other one.

Of course, "the other one" is the cartridge that is sold out.

GQ: Well we do have this one, but the second one is completely sold out.
    WB: Uhhh what's the difference between the two of them
    GQ: Erm.

The two cartridges looked IDENTICAL and were the same size. Only they were different codes and one was twice as expensive.

GQ: The more expensive one has more capacity inside of it? *I guess?*
    WB: But you guys are all sold out of it and I really neeeed it
    GQ: I can check other stores in the area for you.
    WB: But I'm not from around here and I don't know where anything iiiiis.
    GQ: Ma'am we have another branch very close by. You just go left onto the main road in front of us and go past 4 or 5 stoplights. It'll be in the huge shopping center with the In'n'Out in the front. *A blind monkey can find it*
    WB: I don't know where anything iiiiis
    GQ: You just go left onto the main road in front of us and go past 4 or 5 stoplights. It'll be in the huge shopping center with the In'n'Out in the front.
    WB: I'm new around here

*rinse, repeat*

She finally says OK to calling the other brand, which happens to have dozens of that cartridge. After another few minutes of moping and pouting, she manages to walk away to drive to the other store, just as the electronics team member came back.
    Last edited by GiggityGiggityGoo; 12-22-2010, 03:20 PM.

Reminds me of that Fawlty Towers episode;

"Where's the sea?"

"Its over there, between the sea and the land"

"What?"
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth GiggityGiggityGoo View Post
      It's a busy Sunday night before Christmas and we're open until midnight!!! YAAAAAAYYY!!
      Could be worse. You could be working for We Be Toys. They're open 'round the clock for the first time ever.

WB: I can't find the ink for my printerrrrrrr
      OMG, I could actually hear that! I HATE people like this. She wouldn't be happy if you ran down to the other store, bought the cartridge with your own money, gift-wrapped it, and delivered it to her home. She would still whine that she had to open the packaging or something.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
        Could be worse. You could be working for We Be Toys. They're open 'round the clock for the first time ever.
        Please tell me that you mean XMAS Eve and not the day itself >_> I'll be the first to admit that I am a world-class procrastinator, but people who wait until XMAS Day to buy presents deserve to have access only to the quickie-mart...Not that many of those are open on Xday around these parts...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth GiggityGiggityGoo View Post
          So we walk a few aisles down to the ink. I'm going through the motions of showing her where one of them is and where the other one should be when I notice both are black cartridges. As far as I'm aware, I've never run into an HP Inkjet printer that had two black cartridges with different codes.
          Most Some of the deskjets do have that. Not at the same time, mind you. One will be for "regular" black, and one will be for "photo" black. Most also have two with the same code, but one will be with the "XL" designation at the end. Those will be the "high yield" ones that should have more ink in them.

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
            Reminds me of that Fawlty Towers episode;

"Where's the sea?"

"Its over there, between the land and the sky."

"What?"
            Fixed (I believe... it's been a while since I've seen that episode...)

As for the cartridge... at least she had the cartridges with her. There's been too many times when the only information about a printer they have is "It's an HP!" See those three rows of cartridges? ALL of them are HP!
            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

I thought it was:

"Where's the beach?"

"Its over there, between the sea and the land"

"What?"
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

DB Yes. Some people talk too low.
                no, some people need to get hearing aids or clean the crap out of their ears.

idiot.

whiny...argh, i can also hear that voice. *cries*
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I've got hearing damage (40 years of drums'll do that),I just turn up the phone.
                  "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

We get those supposedly-hearing-impaired types on the phone all the time. I say "supposedly" because they only have trouble hearing when they don't like what you're telling them. If you agree to give them what they want, suddenly they can hear you just fine.

The part that always boggles my mind is the "turn up your phone, I can't hear you" bit. If you can't hear me, you have to turn up your own phone! There is no control on my phone that will affect the volume on yours!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You met the female version of my father-in-law. Sorry about that.

Two hearing aids that he hates having to wear, but he's deaf as a post without them. So he turns them up as high as possible, turns the TV volume down so low noone else can hear it, and complains that it's too loud.

He can't hear worth crap on the phone, and they're too cheap to buy one of the phones built for people like him. Insists on answering it anyway. It usually goes like this, if you're in the room when he does it:

"Hello?"

"Hello?"

... ... ...

"I can't hear you, dammit, why does everyone have to talk so quiet???!!!" *slams phone down, stomps off*

Cue head-meets-wall on my part, and then I call back whoever it was to apologize and find out what they actually wanted. We try to keep him from answering the phone, but he'd shrivel up and die without SOMETHING to bitch about, and better he complain about the phone than a 2-hour rant on whatever it was he misunderstood on the evening news.
                      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                      X