Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't supose you live in Nebraska?? I could do for a new job!!! I have to deal with alot of mean customers, and I don't get to tell them off.

Comment

Quoth nicolecj View Post
      Actually, I am the prosecution, defense, the judge and the jury. My determinations are legally binding judgements for money owed as well as a decision on eligibility, an assement of fraud payments and maybe I might even send it for prosecution depending how naughty you are. And I don't have to have a law degree.
      Just a word to the wise: watch how you judge people, not all of them are scammers.

I was thrown off unemployment a few years ago, very unfairly, when I needed it. A lot of my work back then would go completely dead during parts of the year because of the demographic I live in, so during the summers, I would have little to no work at all in my field.

The first time I was going to be thrown off, it was because I work for a University... a whole one or two days a month at best.

The second time was because they sent some paperwork to my house, which I was not at because I was out of town trying to find work... imagine that. The lady on the phone had the audacity to say I was on vacation and canceled my benefits. After about an hour on the phone wasting my time with this twatwaffle, I became a SC and just started yelling at her for being such a stupid bitch. I had half a mind to call her superior when I got home, but decided it wasn't worth the effort because the state simply doesn't care about helping those who actually need it... but that's a whole topic that belongs in fratching.

I do find it ironic though how DOT state workers can collect unemployment with no problem during the winter when they make it very well known they have no intention of actually looking for work. :|
      Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
        I do find it ironic though how DOT state workers can collect unemployment with no problem during the winter when they make it very well known they have no intention of actually looking for work. :|
        Seasonal workers, is how. At least that's how it works up here in the frozen wastelands of the north. Some types of work can't be done year-round - roadworks is one of them, except in emergency situations. So most of the crew gets laid off once it's too cold to work asphalt and there's a special category in Employment Insurance (Canada) to cover that sort of worker. It seems fair to me considering how unpleasant a job working on roads generally is.
        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Speaking of not being able to collect unemployment, I have worked for 2 churches during my career, a total of 10 years consecutively. I found out I am not eligible for unemployment because "churches don't pay taxes". HUH?? Churches pay alot of taxes, just not the unemployment tax! What's up with that? Churches don't have employees?? Who can get laid off???

So even though I've been working for over 30 years and only 10 of those were for organizations that don't pay unemployment tax (meaning of course that I've paid my share of unemployment taxes for 20 years) I can't collect benefits. I guess working for an organization that actually HELPS people isn't enough to be able to collect benefits when you really need it :\

Comment

Quoth nicolecj View Post
            We are usually hiring for the job of soul sucker... I know the cube next to me just went empty. If Gravekeeper wishes to banish souls to eternal fiery damnation (also know as eternal bad credit due to prosecution for debt) then who am I to say anything about it?
            Oh that job sounds like so much fun ...

I used to be a forensic accountant. My job was in addition to other functions to track payments and investigate claims that we didn't pay [or pay the whole] on invoices ... I could either cut you a check for a million bucks or shrivel your soul with laughter as I demonstrate exactly why we didn't pay [or refuse to pay the whole] invoice.

Actually, I think GK could do wonderfully in that job ...
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
              Seasonal workers, is how. At least that's how it works up here in the frozen wastelands of the north. Some types of work can't be done year-round - roadworks is one of them, except in emergency situations. So most of the crew gets laid off once it's too cold to work asphalt and there's a special category in Employment Insurance (Canada) to cover that sort of worker. It seems fair to me considering how unpleasant a job working on roads generally is.
              Oh, I totally get that, but if anyone else is laid off, they still have to look for work, even if it's outside their trade in order to collect unemployment. I fail to see how the DOT should be exempt from that rule and still make a paycheck from the state. Anyone else would be thrown off UC benefits if they don't show they are looking and available for work.

Then again, the whole system is screwed up beyond belief anyway... but then, fratching... *sigh*
              Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I want to put in a side note...

I work in a fraud unit with three other people, and generally i only get you if
                a) you have committed fraud before and we need to have a long talk
                b) you really f-ed up and it caught someone's eye
                c) you were in jail dips--t, did you think that the different branches of the governement did not share info?

So, as a rule, I will never get the whole vacation/job search issues anymore. I used to. My recommendation is if you don't like a determination, appeal. The hapless worker monkeys at the office will not change a decision UNLESS you have some compelling info. The appeal judges usually piss us off by making determiantions that don't have anything to do with state law. It is kind of annoying, but it also provides someone with a way to get face time with someone. The normal call center people can not be met with. If someone wants to track me down, strangely enough, they can meet with me, but it will not be fun.

I live in the great white tundra, land of cheese hats and drunk drivers.
                "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
                - James Joyce

Comment

Working...
                X