X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I swear people are out to kill me

Or at least want a broken bone or two.

I distribute flyers to three different routes and without fail they're at least one house per route that's pathway and/or porch is covered in ice. If i could miss the houses like that it wouldn't be a problem but I can't

I don't get it either, as is it really worth the fine from the city and any potential law suits (When the ice is a nice big patch in front of your house) that could come your way? I'm so scared I'm going to slip and hurt myself, especially on the places with a large stair case that gets you up to the mail box.

I miss my old route as they never left death traps for me and I was getting to know quite a few people but I needed the money these route provided and they were closer to where I live.

Though the lady who asked how I was feeling, gave me a compliment and then wished me a Merry Christmas; You Rock

Still through, I'm half tempted to get some salt and put little baggies in their mail box with a note of "Remember Me? I help melt Ice, Use Me Dammit!"

For like $20 at most stores, you can buy those ice cleets that strap to the bottom of shoes.

I used to use those in the winter when i was walking across steel sheets all the time, and they were always coveredi n frost and ice, i NEVER slipped wit hthose things on, they gripped into mild steel no problem.

Comment

Living down here in the south, we don't have "ice protocol". We just do (or don't do) really stupid things that get us laughed at/cursed out by visiting friends from the frozen north.

So, if you don't clear ice off your porch, you could get fined up there? I guess that makes perfect sense.

Kind of like clearing the thick sheet of snow off your van roof before you hit the highway with your friends from New England in an SUV right behind you. For instance.

And when I say "clearing" I mean "not clearing."

Comment

I'm wondering if we're going to get the snow the weatherman is promising us tomorrow...

And you totally should leave the salt, Yume. Just don't get caught.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

These are usually the same people who use a side door to get in and have their mailbox on the front door. And then complain to the PO when we won't deliver because it's a hazard.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
            These are usually the same people who use a side door to get in and have their mailbox on the front door.
            I'll admit, that used to be me. I used to live with roommates and everyone used the back exit to get to their car. It was extremely rare to use the front, so it never occurred to us to be good citizens and clean off the porch and steps. Even though we got mail at the front daily, duh. Our mail carrier finally left a nastygram to salt our porch and lo, we were struck with common sense. Yes, sometimes you DO have to be obvious about it. Thank goodness no one was ever hurt, because our painted porch was slick when it snowed.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

We have the problem here. A lot of people assume the "Front Door" is the door facing the highway, with the lovely walkway leading up to it. As opposed to the big door with the cleared steps welcome mat, etc at the end of our driveway.

So we have gotten a lot of complaints from the couriers (our mailbox is across the street away from the house, so only couriered parcels come to our door.) about how the path is icy. I think we finally got it across that the driveway door is the front door. I mean I'd hate for someone to get hurt. But we NEVER used that door.
              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

RK, where I live people can get fined for not clearing the sidewalk in front of their house (even though the sidewalk is owned by the city, and after a heavy snowfall, days can go by before a city plow comes down our street...but I digress. Or do I? ) Businesses can get fined as well, and if there's a school bus stop right outside your house the snow has to be cleared by, I believe, 7 AM.

I try to keep the driveway leading up to the side door clear (our mailbox is on the side door) but toward the end of winter I get very annoyed at the local stores because they stop selling icemelter around March 1st. March is usually pretty snowy and cold, but no...in the stores, it's, time to haul out the grills and tiki torches. Have to pick up a couple extra bags soon so it will last.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  March is usually pretty snowy and cold, but no...in the stores, it's, time to haul out the grills and tiki torches. Have to pick up a couple extra bags soon so it will last.
                  If used correctly, the tiki torches would handle the ice problem nicely.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    These are usually the same people who use a side door to get in and have their mailbox on the front door. And then complain to the PO when we won't deliver because it's a hazard.
                    I hate to say but this post (mine) is an EXTREAM example of that. and I know the mailbox was out front.
                    One BIG Pile
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                      So we have gotten a lot of complaints from the couriers (our mailbox is across the street away from the house, so only couriered parcels come to our door.) about how the path is icy.
                      After the first complaint, I'd consider putting up a sign saying "Use Other Door" with an arrow.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X