This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Hiccups

Hey guys, got back to my Convenience Store and people are as terrible as ever. Turns out my store is 3rd on the list for most customer complaints. When my manager put a sign up in the office saying that "it's not that hard" to give customers no attitude all I could think was, "Not if they're ASSHOLES."

And I've had a few...

Please Tell Me What You WANT

Old man comes in, looks normal until I go to print out his lottery. He WON'T tell me all the information I need to print his tickets and when I FINALLY get the ticket printed he says "okay" as if I'm done so I walk back over and he tells me, "I'm not finished yet, girlie" which just blows all help for him out of the water and for the rest of the time I print out what I print out and he doesn't get any sympathy from me when there's a "wrong" ticket.

"Why did the pump stop"

I got this several times but each time people made a huge deal out of something that is completely their fault. It's the same basic structure just slightly different each time. Person comes in after having set up their pump with prepay. They WALK AWAY FROM THE PUMP (illegal) and then get angry when the pump stops early.

SC: Why did the pump stop?
    Me: Is your tank full?
    SC: No!
    Me: Did you walk away from it?
    SC: Yes...
    Me: If you walk away from it there's no telling what happened to stop it. Sometimes they just stop by themselves, it's just a mechanical quirk.
    SC: Well you should tell your manager about this!
    Me: This has been happening a long time, he's aware. There's nothing wrong with the pumps.
    SC: Well I beg to differ!
    Me: I'm sorry you feel that way but next time don't walk away from the pump so it doesn't time out and you don't have to redo the transaction.
    SC: *catbuttface*

It's My Bathroom, Butt Out.

SC: Your ladies room is seriously horrible. It needs attention.
    Me: Okay, I got it. (I'm doing something else so I'm only half paying attention to her)
    SC: No, like it's clogged.
    Me: Yeah, I got it.
    SC: You're going to have to see it, it's horribly clogged.
    Me: Okay, I'll take care of it.
    SC: (impatient and frustrated) NO! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, YOU'LL HAVE TO CALL MAINTENANCE!!!
    Me: (A slight bit annoyed and semi-rude) I got it.

She left after that...hah. I went in and flushed the toilet. Ta da.

Drive Offs

I had three drive offs the day before Christmas Eve. One was 43.21 and all I could think was "Blast off..." Another was 40 something and the one I pwned was 31 something. Pump 17 and 18 are notorious for drive offs so we watch those ones extra close.

Two guys pull up to 17 and we turn it on. They have their lights on so the keys are at least in the ignition. They've also got one guy in the driver's seat and a guy pumping gas. When I walked out (looking very suspicious because I didn't take the bags to pretend I was doing trash) the guy pumping asked if (NAME) was working. (NAME) hasn't worked at my store in 2 years. STEEEERRRRRIIIIKE ONE.

When I walked around to the back of the car to get the license plate they had it covered up with the blue napkins from our pumps courtesy thing. STEEEERRRRIIIIKE TWO.

I stood at pump 15 where they could clearly see me watching them and the one pumping tried to convince the one driving to go into the store to pay. Driver refuses. Do I hear a STRIKE THREE?! They start going and I shoot off, grab the napkins off the plate and get the plate number.

Bam. And that is how you pwn.

Side note: That drive off I chased during the summer, I asked about that one and my manager told me that he thinks that's the one they made an arrest for! So excited.

A Little Co-irker

So we have this noob. He can joke around with certain employees that were there before I got back so he has a little bit of a mouth on him. One of the reasons why we have so many complaints is for swearing and several times I've had to tell him to watch his mouth when customers are around. He also grates on my nerves because I ask him to do something and he'll say, "No, I refuse" and he won't do it until I ask him 4 more times and even then he'll leave from behind the counter to go creep all over the Deli girls.

I think my favorite conversation with him to date is:

Me: Why are you always creeping on B?
    Him: I'm not creeping, I just don't have any friends.
    Me: Have you ever thought about why you don't have any friends? Maybe you should try to not be so obnoxious.
    Him: ..........um...I was joking.
    Me: I wasn't.

Quoth Gaki View Post
    It's My Bathroom, Butt Out.

SC: Your ladies room is seriously horrible. It needs attention.
    Me: Okay, I got it. (I'm doing something else so I'm only half paying attention to her)
    SC: No, like it's clogged.
    Me: Yeah, I got it.
    SC: You're going to have to see it, it's horribly clogged.
    Me: Okay, I'll take care of it.
    SC: (impatient and frustrated) NO! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, YOU'LL HAVE TO CALL MAINTENANCE!!!
    Me: (A slight bit annoyed and semi-rude) I got it.

She left after that...hah. I went in and flushed the toilet. Ta da.
    Oh, of course. You should stop EVERYTHING that you are doing and run to the bathroom to clean it, immediately. Now, now, NOW! People can be so entitled and expectant. Does your gas station even have a dedicated maintenance person? Next she'll be asking for your Gas Station Concierge to tell her where to shop.

"In cases of customer bathroom emergencies, the toilet itself becomes less of a goal and more of a loose suggestion." - Shamus

Comment

Gaki,you might consider me an "old man" but I would NEVER say
      and he tells me, "I'm not finished yet, girlie"
      ,that's just rude.

I'm always a gentleman until it's time to not be a gentleman.
      "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
        When I walked around to the back of the car to get the license plate they had it covered up with the blue napkins from our pumps courtesy thing. STEEEERRRRIIIIKE TWO.
        That, right there, proves pre-meditation. I'm not sure if that makes a difference where you are, but it proves that they didn't just "forget to pay."

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That, and having your plates obscured, EVER, can't possibly be legal.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            I know it isn't around here, that's for sure. I know people who've been fined because they had put a plastic shield over their plate (apparently they would prevent cameras from reading the plate, but I don't think they work very well). You can also get pulled over and warned if your plate is covered in mud, which is most trucks around here come hunting season.
            What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Definitely not and I probably should have took it off while they were filling up, waved it up and told them they would be getting coal for christmas since this was very naughty. xD

I'm kinda angry I didn't but I wasn't sure if that would count as hindering them, we can get written up for physically trying to stop thieves. I'm not sure how taking napkins off their license plate and telling them they were being naughty equates to that but I wasn't taking any chances. Got their plate number regardless.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                (apparently they would prevent cameras from reading the plate, but I don't think they work very well)
                Mythbusters tested those plate shields versus traffic cameras, and found they do nothing, they're just a waste of money...
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                  I had three drive offs the day before Christmas Eve.
                  Shocking.

Not that people will drive off without paying, mind you.

More that there are actually still gas stations that don't require pre-payment before authorizing the pumps.

Quoth Gaki View Post
                  They start going and I shoot off, grab the napkins off the plate and get the plate number.

Bam. And that is how you pwn.
                  And that is also potentially dangerous. Not just the idea of chasing after and trying to grab something off of a moving car, but you have no idea if the guys are armed, if they would use weapons to thwart your efforts to thwart them, or for that matter what other random drivers at the station might be doing. You are potentially playing in traffic.

Is all this really worth it to you just to "pwn" someone? Remember, it's not YOUR money they are stealing, but that of the station.

Every establishment I have worked for has had a policy against physical confrontation of thieves; rather, they say to observe and remember. Safety first, ya know.

Quoth Gaki View Post
                  He also grates on my nerves because I ask him to do something and he'll say, "No, I refuse"
                  Why is it that so many places will not fire an employee for shit like this?

I once worked for a restaurant that had a very simple policy. If management ever heard anyone say, "That's not my job," that person was fired on the spot. I loved it. Some people might think that is a bit harsh, but the basic premise was that everything in that restaurant was every staff member's responsibility. I thought that was pretty cool. (And no, I never saw anyone actually get fired for this, but I do know that management issued a few stern reminders if they heard someone actually say this. Most of us weren't dumb enough to vocalize such things, even if we were thinking them.)

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  It isn't.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    More that there are actually still gas stations that don't require pre-payment before authorizing the pumps.
                    iirc, at least one other thread around here refers to laws in some states/areas that do not ALLOW gas stations to require pre-payment and/or cards. x.x In those areas, if a customer wants to pump then "pay", the gas station cannot stop them...If they wanna pump then NOT pay, this, of course, is somehow the poor gas station attendee's fault, for reasons beyond my comprehension (see also the rather wise "don't interfere with thieves" policy, stated above)
                    It isn't.
                    My point
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Shocking.

Not that people will drive off without paying, mind you.

The CEO has literally stated: "We're not worried about it, we make too much money to be worried about it." This doesn't stop management and corporate from berating us for drive offs that happen while we're there.

Quoth Jester View Post
                      And that is also potentially dangerous. Not just the idea of chasing after and trying to grab something off of a moving car, but you have no idea if the guys are armed, if they would use weapons to thwart your efforts to thwart them, or for that matter what other random drivers at the station might be doing. You are potentially playing in traffic.

Is all this really worth it to you just to "pwn" someone? Remember, it's not YOUR money they are stealing, but that of the station.

Every establishment I have worked for has had a policy against physical confrontation of thieves; rather, they say to observe and remember. Safety first, ya know.
                      I wish I could draw a diagram of the pumps to be honest. I wasn't prancing all over the parking lot, they'd gone probably three feet before I got their napkin off and there was really no way for ME to have gotten myself hit by a car, THEY were in the driving lane (horizontally at that) and essentially I was never in any situation where I was in any danger from cars or whatnot. As for if they were armed, from the way the one was talking to me, they're too dumb to be armed. WAY inexperienced, probably their first time trying to do it. And usually you don't just shoot a gas station attendent out the tiny back window of your shitty little mercury...that's just contortionism at that point. They have the mentality that we can't do anything anyway (which is essentially true.)

Also, this is all considered our fault. Any gas that gets stolen on our watch gets recorded down with OUR NAMES and we have to fill out a slip telling them WHY IT HAPPENED. I INVARIABLY always write down in the NEATEST handwriting, "Because they decided not to pay." You're supposed to tell them why YOU weren't paying close enough attention, or why YOU didn't stop them from doing it by speaking to them "properly" through the PA system. AS IF ANY OF THIS IS GOING TO STOP THEM.

So until one of us dies trying to stop this, we will remain pump before you pay and we will remain responsible for every drive off that occurs on our watch. We will be blamed, scolded, and scowled at. Why not? We get blamed for everything else anyway, why not just add another uncontrollable circumstance? It doesn't matter what I think about when it comes to who's money it is. According to those whose money it is, it's my fault.

Comment

I, too, suffer the plight of gas drive offs at a c-store. I haven't had one for a long while (go me!) but with the ones I've had, I have learned several things. First, my c-store apparently expects me to chase speeding cars across a parking lot to prevent a drive-off. Second, they don't want me to get a description of the vehicle. No. They want a description of the person. Third, it doesn't matter how much attention you're paying. You could have the description of the person, the vehicle, the license plate number, etc, and the boss/corporate would still claim you weren't paying attention. Sigh. Oh, and working day shift with the manager is fun. Every once in a while, usually after I've had a huge rush, she'll look at me and say "who had pump 7?" and I give her a look as if to say "honestly now?" Remind me why corporate won't let us go to all pre-pay or pay-at-the-pump only, instead of just having pre-pay as one of three options? (The other two are pay-at-the-pump or pay after fueling...or don't pay. Whatever. I stopped caring a LONG time ago!)
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post

So we have this noob. He can joke around with certain employees that were there before I got back so he has a little bit of a mouth on him. One of the reasons why we have so many complaints is for swearing and several times I've had to tell him to watch his mouth when customers are around. He also grates on my nerves because I ask him to do something and he'll say, "No, I refuse" and he won't do it until I ask him 4 more times and even then he'll leave from behind the counter to go creep all over the Deli girls.
                          Quoth Jester View Post

Why is it that so many places will not fire an employee for shit like this?

I once worked for a restaurant that had a very simple policy. If management ever heard anyone say, "That's not my job," that person was fired on the spot.
                          Methinks the OP's workplace has some kind of Bartleby the Scrivener thing going on.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                          X