This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i ended up taking 6 dollars from a scamming artist

i was working at the store. a woman (around 35-ish) came right before closing the store. oh, i have to tell you guys that i work alone.

anyway, this lady came and ordered one of the drinks which is $6.38. she gave me 50 dollar bill and i gave her change but then she said "oh, wait a minute, did i give you 50 dollar bill? i made a mistake. can you give me my fifty dollar back? and i told her i'll give it to her when she gives my change back. and we were exchanging i wouldn't let go of 50 dollars and she was raising her voice "what's wrong with you?" and somehow she took 50 dollars from me and then say she was gonna give me the exact change for the drink and gave me the original 50 dollars bill plus another 50 dollars plus the exact change for the drink. she told me to give her 100 dollar bill plus drink. i was confused but thought this was so odd. so i started counting register in front of her holding $106.38. she was almost yelling she was busy, she had to go... she's gonna cancel her order so give her money back... blah... i ignored and kept counting.

then voila! 50 bucks short. i told her "i believe you tried to scam me" and she looked greatly insulted and saying how dare you calling me a scammer and whatnot. i ignored and gave her only 50 bucks and cancelled the order and didn't give her drink only realized later that i was supposed to give her $56.38

i was greatly insulted by the event because she kept talking like i'm a bad server. complaining about customer service. i wonder if it's a common thing for scamming... making you feel bad...

anyway, i felt kinda good about not being scamming plus i ended up taking money from scammer... (which went to my boss... i never keep store money to myself) she deserves it, doesn't she?
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 01-03-2011, 02:01 PM. Reason: Race not relevant to story

Ah, the old "short change" scam.

The classic giveaway of this scam is the customer requesting a second transaction while the first one is still in progress. This is easily handled by ignoring the request and counting out the change from the first transaction.

This scammer is either a beginner or excessively greedy. She started the pitch too late, (thus allowing you to concentrate on the second requested transaction without getting confused) and used a large denomination bill, which in turn raised your suspicion index. Professional scammers often run this scam with nothing larger than a $10 bill.

The insults and loud complaints were intended to upset, distract, and confuse you. Consider the source, and don't let this rectalchapeau get you down.

Oh, and for keeping her $6.38. Yes, she deserves it. People like her make costs go up for the rest of us, plus the general aggravation factor of the mistrust and rancor her actions breed.

Comment

Nice job on scamming the scammer.
      Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 01-03-2011, 02:03 PM.
      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
      - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Regular John View Post
        i was greatly insulted by the event because she kept talking like i'm a bad server. complaining about customer service. i wonder if it's a common thing for scamming... making you feel bad...
        Yes.

They'll do anything which distracts you or puts you in a frame of mind where you're not concentrating properly.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
          Ah, the old "short change" scam.

The classic giveaway of this scam is the customer requesting a second transaction while the first one is still in progress. This is easily handled by ignoring the request and counting out the change from the first transaction.

This scammer is either a beginner or excessively greedy. She started the pitch too late, (thus allowing you to concentrate on the second requested transaction without getting confused) and used a large denomination bill, which in turn raised your suspicion index. Professional scammers often run this scam with nothing larger than a $10 bill.

The insults and loud complaints were intended to upset, distract, and confuse you. Consider the source, and don't let this rectalchapeau get you down.

Oh, and for keeping her $6.38. Yes, she deserves it. People like her make costs go up for the rest of us, plus the general aggravation factor of the mistrust and rancor her actions breed.
          Had this happen at least 4 or 5 times in my one year at S-Bux. Always with 20s. It may have actually worked the 1st time, I admittedly was left confused by the transaction, but never after. It worked like a charm on most new cashiers, who the "regular" types could always sniff out, until management recognized them and threaten to call the cops if they came back in. Actually had a few middle school brats try it.. their smirks and nervousness usually gave them away though.
          I will never go to school!

Comment

It's simple.

"I cannot remove money from the drawer once it is in, company policy, sorry"

Let them rant, rave and keep a sweet smile on.

"Sorry, I cannot do refunds from this counter. A Manager has to do this, keep your receipt and have a nice day"

NEXT!!

Comment

The few times someone tried this with me, it was always "I gave you a $20" when they actually gave me a $10, especially when there were likely to be lots of $20s in the till. Hard to say "I gave you a $50" if there aren't any fifties in the drawer.

Keep your cool. Don't mix transactions (such as paying for purchases and changing bills). Count your money slowly and accurately. If you get interrupted, start the count over again from the beginning. As you already know, do not let go of the money you've already been given. Although you may be working alone, if there's a regular there that you get along with and can moderately trust, you can always call on that person to be a witness to your counting of the till so the scammer will be less likely to accuse you of miscounting.

You did great. You did nothing wrong. For the first time being scammed like that, I personally think you should pat yourself on the back for keeping it together and not succumbing to the pressure. Bravo!
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I had this happen once when I was cashiering at a (very big, very famous) theme park. I'd been shuttled to work in a completely new store in a completely different section of the park, with new management that just threw me into the new situation with zero help and left me alone for most of the night. I also have dyscalcula and was very shy and nervous.

See where this is going?

The scam artists got 100 dollars off me, but thankfully I didn't get in trouble because they'd done the same thing to about eight other stores, all throughout the park (none of which had cameras in them, of course). I KNEW who the guys were, though, because I had this really bad feeling the instant they left. I wanted to get a manager but there was no way to talk to them, and i didn't know why I felt so weird until I counted out my drawer at the end of the night. The only plus side is that I was able to remember the two men and what they looked like, so could describe them a little bit. They did this same thing, buying a 2.00 toy with 100.00 and then changing their minds halfway through.

You should be very proud of yourself for not letting her trip you up. I wish stores would train about this sort of thing; I always felt like I had to switch out change if a customer wanted to. Now, of course, I'm older, tougher, and meaner, so if someone does that to me again the answer is "No." If they need new change so badly, a manager can do it.

Comment

Sigh. You'd think when a scammer or shoplifter gets nailed, their reaction would be one of the following:

1) Run
                  2) Sweat

But I think I'm starting to see the purpose behind the "make a scene and freak out and never be so insulted" reaction. I'm sure part of it is smokescreen, yes, but having seen it so damn OFTEN (even in my own family), I think the people who get offended at being caught stealing are actually offended at being called a thief. Seriously. I think they have a very good idea in their minds about what a "thief" is and they don't see themselves as fitting that profile. They don't see themselves as thieves - some of the things these shoplifters tell themselves to make themselves feel better about stealing are incredible, frankly - so when being called thieves, they get GENUINELY huffy. It's not an act.

Love, Who?

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                    I think the people who get offended at being caught stealing are actually offended at being called a thief. Seriously. I think they have a very good idea in their minds about what a "thief" is and they don't see themselves as fitting that profile. They don't see themselves as thieves - some of the things these shoplifters tell themselves to make themselves feel better about stealing are incredible, frankly - so when being called thieves, they get GENUINELY huffy. It's not an act.
                    I understand what you're saying. They're thinking, "I'm not a thief; I didn't pull a gun on them. I'm just clever and sneaky and shrewd, and sticking it to Da Man!" They honestly think they're so smart that they're offended at being compared to a common mugger.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The swamp's policy regarding these people is universal and unbendable: Cashiers do not change bills at the registers, nor do they break bills at the registers. If they are asked to, they are to shut their drawer and direct the person to the service desk.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

As others have said it is a common tactic to fluster you and make you either mess up or give into their demands. You did exactly the right thing by ignoring her and counting down your till. Bravo.

Though I may add that next time you might not want to call them out. While gratifying as HELL it can get you into a lot of trouble at some places to call a customer a thief...even if they are sadly.
                        "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                        -Red

Comment

My tip to anyone who handles money is always lay the bill amount tendered to you flat over your till (as in, over the tray of denominations) and always ask "Out of 20?" "Out of 50?" just to be sure.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Sadly, doing the "Out of $10" doesn't discourage some of them in the least. I know this from when I did concessions where there was no register to track things and only a cash drawer right next to us. They still try "I gave you $20" even though you can point right to the bill across the drawer. Even though it's in plain sight and you never changed it.

Best words are not "I think you're playing me" but "I don't think that's correct". Less trouble from management, who you should call for in the next breath for a till check.

Comment

Not only should you never call out a scammer (never know when they'll up the ante), but the best way to keep them from escalating is to claim that you're checking to "make sure I didn't make a mistake." It's best to try to position yourself as the fallible one. What are they going to do, complain that you were trying to make sure you didn't short-change them?

Yeah, we know they will still try, but it will also help defuse the people who honestly think they gave you more than they did, and has the added bonus of catching when you honestly do make a mistake.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X