This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widescreen fail

Had a short chat with a client today that reminded me of this from a couple months ago.

Client: So I'd like to get one of your custom designs, please, and I just want to make sure that you will definitely use your BEST creativity on this! It has to be your BEST SITE EVER.

Seraph: I always put 110% effort into my custom designs. Now what would you like.

Client: <gives details> And make sure it's widescreen.

Seraph: What do you mean, widescreen?

Client: I have a widescreen monitor, its very cool. I want my website to be widescreen. So it has to be like 1680 [pixels]

Seraph: Um, while I can do that, I recommend against it. You see, most people still use 1024x780 resolution, although widescreens are becoming more prevalent. With a "widescreen" site, you will potentially cut out a lot of members, since they will get tired of having to scroll around to see every corner of the site

Client: No I want a widescreen, it will look great on my monitor!

Client: It HAS to be 1680 pixels

Seraph: I understand that, I was just trying to explain though that while it may look good for you, it may cause your website problems in the end...

Client: Obviously you don't know anything about design, you're just a moron!!! All these other sites are so tiny on my screen, it looks STUPID!!

Client: F*** you, I'll get a better designer, someone from <stupid contest-based site> will do it, and cheaper than you!!!!!

Then they blocked me on AIM, which really serves no purpose, not like I was going to try and talk to them any further, lol.

My client today brought up a similar subject, asking about a widescreen design, but when I explained it to her, she was like "OH! That makes sense!" Pity the other guy couldn't have been like that, lmao.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

I wouldnt be able to resist checking on this guy in a month and taunting him about not having a site yet, or the quality of it. Far better person than I am

Comment

What does he mean websites look "tiny" on his monitor? He must have messed up resolution settings or something.

Comment

Quoth MaseMan View Post
        What does he mean websites look "tiny" on his monitor? He must have messed up resolution settings or something.
        No, not really. It's just that on higher res screens, what looks large on smaller res looks small on higher res.

Changing the resolution or hitting Control + can fix that "problem".
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Okay, the stupid is strong with that one.

So strong that you're lucky, Seraph, that you didn't get pulled into the gravity well it created.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

What a maroon.

Even when I was 18 or so and made my own site, I knew better than to assume everyone had the same setup I did. If you want people to get something out of your site (let alone return), you must think about them.
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I have a widescreen monitor and home and one at work and I don't see any differences between various websites. But then again, I assume they are designed for non-widescreen. Widescreen just means that I don't have to scroll from side to side on stuff...for the most part.

Comment

Whoa, glad this one let out his inner suck early enough that you didn't have to actually work with him.

As for site design, most sites are set up to adapt, to some degree, to the monitor and resolution of the viewer. They're designed to be able to be viewed by the worst common resolution, but still look good on the best.

This idiot likely had issues reading text and didn't have the brain cells necessary to figure out that he can change that in his browser.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  No, not really. It's just that on higher res screens, what looks large on smaller res looks small on higher res.

Changing the resolution or hitting Control + can fix that "problem".
                  I've been on the computer 5million years +1 and never knew this shortcut

I made myself a website years ago on 800x600 and soon got a new monitor when the bigger ones were in the craze 1024X780. *-_-* Now I look at it and blush (I'd since forgotten how to change it because I'd created the background myself and used some sort of tutorial that was step by step. No thinking involved)

Comment

Quoth JarethsPet View Post

I made myself a website years ago on 800x600 and soon got a new monitor when the bigger ones were in the craze 1024X780. *-_-* Now I look at it and blush (I'd since forgotten how to change it because I'd created the background myself and used some sort of tutorial that was step by step. No thinking involved)
                    You're welcome

I like keyboard shortcuts. I'm a touch typist, and many keyboard shortcuts are faster than using a mouse or trackpad.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth JarethsPet View Post
                      Holding Control and spinning the scroll wheel on the mouse will do the same thing.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X