This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning stolen merchandise

I work in a leather goods store and was on vacation all last week. Before I left, however, I organized a display of $200 belts, counting them, etc. We had 5 belts. When I came back this week, I noticed one was gone and asked my supervisor about it. Guess what? You're right- it was stolen. I also noticed a purse gone, too.
    Today, I get a call from work ( I always seem to be away from work when the biggest drama happens ). My boss calls to tell me someone tried to return the belt sans receipt and in a grocery bag. He said his mom bought it and the owner heard this and told him the belt was stolen. The guy said his 73 yr old mom gave it to him, and the owner counters that 73 yr olds can steal, too. Sadly, as nobody saw him steal it, the owner let him go with it. As he is leaving , he states he has a purse to return, too!! My boss wanted to call the cops, but the owner handled it his own way. Doesn't it seem like the theft was rewarded?

Why the hell would the owner let the belt go back out? And the purse went the same way as the belt and they're not doing anything?

Yeah. I'd be kinda pissed that someone stole the items, then came back so you could prove that they had the merchandise, and the owner just lets them waltz off again, still with the merchandise and no prosecution for theft.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Problem is, that's just circumstantial evidence; it wouldn't hold up in court. If you had video of the guy or his mum stealing the stuff, then yes, you could've busted them.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's a $200 belt that the SC stated had come from that store. There is 1 belt that has left the store in the recent past, and that belt was stolen, along with a purse, which is also in the possession of the SC, and also stated to have come from the store.

At the very least it should have been turned over to the police to let them sort it out. I'd be surprised if the belt and purse were the only items to have been stolen by the SC and/or his mother (should she even exist).

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          Problem is, that's just circumstantial evidence; it wouldn't hold up in court. If you had video of the guy or his mum stealing the stuff, then yes, you could've busted them.
          In most states, posession of stolen items is an offense. The SC in the OP got off really easy.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            In most states, posession of stolen items is an offense. The SC in the OP got off really easy.
            Even if he bought the belt legitimately from someone else who stole it, the belt still belongs to the store.

^-.-^

Comment

Just a friendly reminder to keep this thread on topic and away from comments about various legalities and whether or not the SC would have been convicted, etc.

Thanks!
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I like leather stores. There's a really nice shop here in Salem that sells all handmade leather merchandise.

Is the store owner the original craftsmen or does he buy his inventory premade?

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                  I like leather stores. There's a really nice shop here in Salem that sells all handmade leather merchandise.

Is the store owner the original craftsmen or does he buy his inventory premade?
                  Most of it is commercially made, but we have a few GORGEOUS pieces that are handmade and hand stained in Italy that I could only afford if I forked over my entire months wages.

Comment

I love leather shops, they smell sooooo good.

Quoth RetailDemon View Post
                    the owner handled it his own way.
                    By letting the guy walk away? Oh well at least nobody gave him any money, I wonder what he would have done if someone had offered store credit.

Comment

Working...
                    X