X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then why don't you call the FTC?

2,yes 2 stories in where I get to use the same line twice:

While working at Green Wal in the liquor department (that particular store was the biggest seller of Budweiser in the entire state!) I had an SC complaining about an ad,don't remember the exact details,but SC practically shouts at me "THAT'S FALSE ADVERTISING!"

Me: "Then I suggest you call the Federal Trade Commission & file a complaint"
    SC: "Do you have their number?"
    Me: "I would assume someone as conversant with deceptive trade practices as yourself would have that number memorized"

Exit disgruntled SC,upset over the fact that I'd used words over 2 syllables.

Fast forward several years,Mrs Frantic & I are in a restaurant & strike up a conversation with the couple at the table next to us.The conversation turns to a TV ad another local restaurant is running that features a local band eating there (the band also wrote their jingle).

Idiot woman: "We went to that place & the band wasn't playing!"
    Me: "They're a restaurant,not a bar,they don't have live music"
    IW: "Well that's false advertising!" (nowhere in the ad is the slightest hint that the band plays there)
    Me "Then you should call the FTC & complain"
    Same thing again "Do you have their number?" so I trotted out my previous line.

I got a "Harrumph!" worthy of Gov. LePetomane & we enjoyed our dinner in peace
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
    I got a "Harrumph!" worthy of Gov. LePetomane & we enjoyed our dinner in peace
    Give that man a "Harrumph!"

I just hate it when people are 'experts' in the law, but they don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about.
    That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I've found that nothing shuts up an SC like inviting them to call the proper authorities, whoever they might be, for your obvious ILLEGAL behavior because they KNOW the law.

Only once did someone actually follow through and call, and after being on the phone and yelling at someone for approximately 15 minutes, they hung up defeated, their obvious legal knowledge thwarted at every turn by people who "don't know" the law.

They then called the police, who told them to stop wasting their time
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        I've found that nothing shuts up an SC like inviting them to call the proper authorities, whoever they might be, for your obvious ILLEGAL behavior because they KNOW the law.

Only once did someone actually follow through and call, and after being on the phone and yelling at someone for approximately 15 minutes, they hung up defeated, their obvious legal knowledge thwarted at every turn by people who "don't know" the law.

Oooo, we need more details!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post

idk, that's pretty epic!
          there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            Yes, it has been far too long since storytime with Argabarga.

It's good that they call the police. They will laugh at someone for free. In my line of work, when people accuse me of doing illegal things, they get an Attorney. Who will laugh at them. Then send them the bill.

Comment

Kudos on the Blazing Saddles reference..
              I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                Nothing special, guy got towed for illegal parking. Claimed that towing his car without his permission was illegal, auto theft to be exact. We told him no, it doesn't work that way. He broke the law first by trespassing

He decided to call the apartment manager and tell him we were illegally stealing cars, we told him to go ahead, he tried calling the apartment manager, the rental company, and a few other people, nobody would talk to him, so he finally declared

"Maybe the POLICE will do something about it?!"

"Go ahead" we told him

The Police didn't do squat either
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

To the OP...

Wait, wait....er, wait...These people saw an ad where the band members were EATING at the restaurant (I can pretty much guarantee you that free food WAS involved in doing the ad ^_^), but not actually PLAYING there, and these SC's thought that the lack of a performing band was somehow false advertising?...

I'm sorry, maybe I have too many brain cells stuffed into my cranium, I simply don't have the room to make a logical leap as convoluted as that one >_>
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    To the OP...

Wait, wait....er, wait...These people saw an ad where the band members were EATING at the restaurant (I can pretty much guarantee you that free food WAS involved in doing the ad ^_^), but not actually PLAYING there, and these SC's thought that the lack of a performing band was somehow false advertising?...

I'm sorry, maybe I have too many brain cells stuffed into my cranium, I simply don't have the room to make a logical leap as convoluted as that one >_>
                    Short course in SC logic:

Item (A) appears somewhere in customer's line of vision
                    Item (B) also appears somewhere in customer's line of vision

Therefore, (A) and (B) must be connected. Always. No exceptions for any reason whatsoever. In the example given, a band appearing in a restaurant's ad must mean they play there, because bands perform.

If the ad showed a well-known surgeon eating at the restaurant, somebody would expect to find the doc doing surgery in the dining room.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have done this ONCE to a guy who claimed that we were false advertising when we actually weren't. I grinned and told him that he was welcome to call the ACCC if he felt we were screwing him over (ACCC=Australian version of the FTC)
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        If the ad showed a well-known surgeon eating at the restaurant, somebody would expect to find the doc doing surgery in the dining room.
                        Well, the doctor was cutting on a steak.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                        X