• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least humainity is consistant

one more telphone rant whilst I tear my hair out

it is after close. the phone rings. we answer it with the following speil:
    <Pizza Place> Sorry we are closed

25% of the time people are nice and understanding about it and get off the phone right away

the OTHER 75% is sooo damn consistant

"YOU'RE CLOSED??????" DID I NOT just say that???? are you mocking me or just a repeater???

"WHAT????? YOU'RE CLOSED????? AGAIN DID I NOT just say we are closed???? let me repeat myself WE ARE CLOSED thank you<click>

"WHY ARE YOU CLOSED????? becasue we DO have a closing time. I guess that we are now a 24 hour place and no one told us. **Sigh** I guess I SHOULD set up that cot up in the back room

"WHY DID YOU ANSWER THE PHONE?????" Because........ I AM REQUIRED TO. thanks for playing our game. sorry no conselation prize for you
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

My favorite is when my fiancee, who works at a dealership doling out auto parts, has people calling him at 5 minutes to close and telling him that they are just '10 minutes away' and begging him to stay... somehow they always showed up half an hour later and than acted suprised when he wasn't there waiting.
    "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
    - James Joyce

Comment

...and I'm sure those people are the same ones that bitch if *they're* forced to work late
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I agree these people are a pain, but I don't understand why a company would want its employees to answer the phone after hours. You can't do anything for the customer, so why bother?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          I agree these people are a pain, but I don't understand why a company would want its employees to answer the phone after hours. You can't do anything for the customer, so why bother?
          If the alarm company calls... you can talk to them or a platoon of very unamused cops at full draw.

BTDT
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My work's had issues that wouldn't have been issues had someone picked up the phone after hours.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm Sorry, I've done that before ^_^' but It's because I honestly didn't know when they closed through I give in fast if I find out that their closing soon or closed as I would not like to be put in that situation and understand that if you phone to late, sucks to be you.Also It's because I worked at a fast food place for a month or so and at the end of the night, It was so annoying when people came barging in, demanding we cook them food when we are pretty much packed up. Through it happened when we managed to get a coupe eating to finish up and leave and then the bugger snuck in when the couple were leaving. Through sometimes I didn't know which was 'funnier' to deal with SC's or the Homeless people who came to look through the garbage for food or drinks.

Well Probably the Drunk or Sober Homeless people as at least they listened more or less. I once accidentally put too much mustard on a guy's burger and he jumped down my throat as I had forgotten about the magical mind reading abilities that I had been born with that he knew all about as I was only suppose to put a small amount, 2/3 less of the usual squirt of mustard usually found when people want it there. When I was finishing it up I hated the guys look as he was giving me a delightful combination of the 'I hate you' and 'You stupid Bitch' look.

But on a bright side I was always a hit with the kids as I would do a smiley face with a condiment of their choice (beside the relish but that was in a bowl, through-fore harder to make smile)

Comment

I had this happen all the time when I worked at CVS. I'd lock the doors at 9pm on the dot and there would always be a late shopper that would show up at 9:02. They'd walk up to the doors and almost walk INTO them because they didn't open for them. Then they would step back, look up, look confused and walk forward again to no avail. Then they would peer inside looking a human life and find me standing there watching and laughing at them. Then they would knock.

How many places do you shop at that require you to knock before they let you in?
                SC: "Hey! I need to get something!"
                Me: "Sorry. As you can obviously see, we're closed."
                SC: " *tisk* But I only need one thinig! It's right there! It'll only take a minute!"
                Me: Great! Then it won't ruin your schedule for tomorrow. Have a good night."

Comment

Do you ever get the ones that insist that it is not (closing time) on their clock? I always tell them "Lucky for me we don't go by your clock then."

Comment

This is what I loved about "DaddyJim's" pizza. The store - depending on location and day - may have closed at 11 or 12 or 1 or what have you, but the FRONT door/walk-in service closed at ten, every day. Meaning, "But I can just come over, I'm really close!" never worked, because we could just respond with "Ma'am, walk-ins closed three hours ago".

And yes, I have to agree that answering the phone after-hours is a necessary evil. Especially because our DM seemed to have this fetish for calling us as 2 minutes before close just to make sure we were still actively taking orders. He would also do it an hour afterwards, when we really should be concentrating on nightly cleanup -- any time before the alarm was set, really -- just to make DAMN sure we were still answering the phones. And yes, he would literally call us as he was preparing for bed.

Quoth STEELMAN View Post
                    Do you ever get the ones that insist that it is not (closing time) on their clock? I always tell them "Lucky for me we don't go by your clock then."
                    QF razza frackin T!
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth STEELMAN View Post
                      we only get a very few that try and use that line. unfortuneately for them the POS AND our in-store wall clock are synch'ed to a satellite univeral clock signal (and obviously all of our cell phones too). so they do not get far with that line.

enough have also tried to "bribe" us with "promises" of large tips and such. Yah RIGHT and I am also authorized to sell the Mackinaw Bridge for $1
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                        enough have also tried to "bribe" us with "promises" of large tips and such. Yah RIGHT and I am also authorized to sell the Mackinaw Bridge for $1
                        Hey now...that's not always bad...as long as it's for delivery and we're not really closed yet...

On one of my last days back at DJ's, a brand new customer called. Close by, ten mins to close, knew exactly what he wanted with no hemming and hawing (YES! We loved him for that alone). He said he knew we were not allowed to quote less than 35 minutes on delivery no matter what...but that both the driver and the manager would get a nice tip if we got it there in closer to 20 minutes. Which we did. Safely ^_^ I was that driver; the manager and I split the ten-dollar tip. I hope he stayed a customer from then on -- even if he dropped to normal tipping levels afterwards, it doesn't matter. He was professional, courteous, polite, and prepared. Plus, he was just a really nice guy.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          If the alarm company calls... you can talk to them or a platoon of very unamused cops at full draw.

BTDT
                          Or if the alarms are going off at our store, we get a phone call from Home Office. If it's after hours and no one's there, they call the store manager or Assistant Manager at home and one of them has to go to the store to see what's going on.

And the local police are also notified just to be on the safe side, as we've had one of two break-ins at my store as well as a hostage situation several years ago at another location.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                          X