This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Sh*t

So being part of a big retail chain we generally arent the target of violent crimes. Usually its the grab and run kind of thing. What happened last week though?

Man enteres another locations jewelry area. He asks to see a fairly expensive ring. For rings over X amount they call for a manager to be present during the display. As soon as the manager opens the case *BAM* pepper spray into both the 61 year old lady working the counter and the manager!

He managed to get away with a fair amount of jewelry, probably 2-4k worth if it was the expensive display (that display is filled with fakes but there are about 4 or 5 rings worth 300-500 that are real. anything over 1 carat is a fake)

So yah, first time in our chain that I have heard something this ballsy happening.

As far as ways to increase security im not sure if anything has changed as of yet. Since it happened right at close I would hope that we post displaying hours for our jewelry counter. Maybe end at 7pm? The store is usually packed at that time and I would think a high profile theft would be much less likely.

But yah, scary sh*t. Work safe out there friends
    Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Wow. That's awful. I hope the manager and the clerk are OK.

Hope they catch the SOB too. Clearly, his clever plan didn't include the possibility of fakes . . . serves him right.

With any luck, the pawn shop will call the cops on him when he tries to cash in.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

is it wrong that the only thing I can think of is, "at least it was pepper spray and not something worse, like say bleach or acid", and that if they do catch him, in most states, spraying pepper spray when you are not being attacked still counts as a felony weapons charge.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        is it wrong that the only thing I can think of is, "at least it was pepper spray and not something worse, like say bleach or acid", and that if they do catch him, in most states, spraying pepper spray when you are not being attacked still counts as a felony weapons charge.
        No and no (it's not wrong of you to be only able to think that.) That's scary, but I'm glad they weren't shot/had a gun waved at them. I hope they're alright, mace can cause respiratory problems. (that's kinda the point, but the little old lady might have lingering problems. )
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Not wrong at all. Underneath the conscious thought is "at least the victims have a chance of not having serious injury" - which is completely laudable.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

spraying pepper spray when you are not being attacked still counts as a felony weapons charge.
            im not sure about law here in canada but I hope thats the case as well
            Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Quoth Department stores *sigh* View Post
              im not sure about law here in canada but I hope thats the case as well
              It pretty much is. Under "Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted (SOR/98-462)"

PART 3
              PROHIBITED WEAPONS
              Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 1
              1. Any device designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person by the discharge therefrom of
              (a) tear gas, Mace or other gas, or
              (b) any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person.

The only exception is when it's sold as an animal repellent, and even then you have to sign documents and basically register as if you were buying guns and ammo.

That's why I carry a travel-sized bottle of really cheap hairspray. Just as effective and no injury or long-term damage to worry about. Hey, I was a teenager in the 80's, I know about hairspray.
              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
              X