This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Called FRAUD

So I'm still feeling like either I or my manager should have called Micheal's and given them a heads up on this...but my manager said don't worry about it....so I'm letting it go.

Lady came in with a Fisksars (sp) scrapbooking machine. It was a gift, from her sister, who lives in N. Dakota. She does not want it. She has the receipt. However her SISTER bought it, therefore the card on the receipt is her sisters card (if ya'll do returns you know where this is heading)

I am not trained to do returns I know how, but I am not trained, nor am I on a register equipped to do returns.
    --Buuuuuuut she's been waiting in line forever! How dare we refuse to help her NOW.
    Manager Okays it, on the basis that it is going to be going onto an exchange card, so I do not require the proper $$$ for a return register.
    ---Wait, wait, wait. Why can't we give her cash back.
    We can only do returns in the form of original tender, or exchange cards. Since it was not her credit card, and she does not have said credit card, we can not do the return on the card. Only exchange cards.
    ---- She does NOT like that answer, there is not $50 worth of "CRAP" (yes she said it) that she wants to buy at our store. Plus she doesn't even live near by.
    We are very sorry but that is the only thing we can do

Her response?
    "Fine, I'll just take it to Micheal's then. They carry this product and will give me $72 back for it with out a receipt. " **storm out**

Kinda made me mad.
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

I'd be sorely tempted to ring up Michael's and tell them Ms. Fraudster was incoming.

Comment

Then why didn't she go to Michael's in the first place (although I'm sure they'll give her the same choice)?

Comment

She didn't go to Michael's first because she thought she could get what she wanted from the store the thing was purchased from. She was mistaken, as she clearly didn't read the receipt.

She's also mistaken if she thinks she can just walk into another store without a receipt and claim to have purchased an expensive piece of scrapbooking equipment and get cash for it.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Either that or she was bluffing and had no intention of going to Michael's -- maybe she just wanted to see if you would cave and give her the $72 cash in order to avoid losing her business as a valuable cust.....O wait, she already said she didn't want anything from your store.

F*** her.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yes. Michaels should have been warned.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
              She's also mistaken if she thinks she can just walk into another store without a receipt and claim to have purchased an expensive piece of scrapbooking equipment and get cash for it.
              I don't know, they did it all the time where I used to work. I saw stuff at the returns counter that we didn't even carry. Granted this was over 20 years ago, but you never know what some of those idiots will allow in the name of "good customer service."
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

i'd give them a heads up, full descrip, yada yada. scam or something else...
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  I saw stuff at the returns counter that we didn't even carry. Granted this was over 20 years ago, but you never know what some of those idiots will allow in the name of "good customer service."
                  The Mart of Wal, in particular, used to be known for this. Criminals absolutely LOVED them for it, so they kept on coming back. The smart crooks would do so (or just dumpster-dive) and then sell the Mart their own stolen goodies back.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

And then you've got places like Kohls who advertise "no hassle" return policies, where you can get store credit or a corporate-issued refund without a receipt.

And then other stores have to deal with this kind of horseshit from scammers because they expect every store to have similarly lax policies.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yeah, I forgot to consider the spineless manager potential at Michael's. The one I go to is pretty strict, since they seem to get a lot of attempts to return stuff purchased at another large chain craft store that's right down the block. No receipt, no cash, not even if it's a Michael's-brand item.

I wonder, though, about the original gift. Sure, the relative might have purchased something and the lady didn't like the function or brand, but people don't typically plunk down that kind of cash on something totally unrelated to the recipient's likes. The lady is likely a crafter of some sort, even if scrapbooking isn't her big thing. I call bullshit that there's *nothing* in a store like Michael's that the lady wouldn't want to get for that much store credit. She just wanted cash, plain and simple.
                      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Glitter Hell, with a no receipt return gives store credit for either the current sale price, or the regular price minus 20%, if the product isn't seasonal, clearanced or discontinued (then, minus a receipt, [provided you aren't dealing with spineless manager] you get to take your crap home with you... Something tells me she'll be getting far less than 72 dollars for it there.
                        you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          The Mart of Wal, in particular, used to be known for this. Criminals absolutely LOVED them for it, so they kept on coming back. The smart crooks would do so (or just dumpster-dive) and then sell the Mart their own stolen goodies back.
                          I can vouch first hand here, in fact..one return I had no idea WHAT it was. Manager still overruled me and gave them the money.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                            I wonder, though, about the original gift. Sure, the relative might have purchased something and the lady didn't like the function or brand, but people don't typically plunk down that kind of cash on something totally unrelated to the recipient's likes.
                            Add in the fact that the lady claims to not be from around there, and I'm calling foul.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

having previously worked at a Micheals she won't be getting cash. They can't do it. She'll get store credit for the item -20%, provided it hasn't been clearanced recently. Honestly when I left corporate was cracking down on the managers for improperly done returns. So even if she gets a spineless manager all they can give her is store credit without their ass getting thrown on the fire.
                              Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X