This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my ever growing list of pet peeves

Okay, so these are all archetypes of calls I get, so the wording is close, but not necessarily verbatim to what is said every time, but you'll get the idea.

for all of these, me is me, and SE is stupid employee

Pizza places that don't understand disabilities
    I don't know why I pick on pizza places, they aren't the only food places that do this, but they are the worst.

Me: This is relay assisting a deaf or hard of hearing person placing this phone call. Have you received a relay call before?
    SE: What?
    Me: A relay call is used when a deaf or hard of hearing person is calling you. They are using the internet to type their part of the conversation to you, which I will relay between the two of you. Please speak slowly as I will be typing your part of the conversation, and speak as if speaking to the caller directly. Also, please allow for a slight delay as they type their responses. Do you have any questions before I connect the caller?
    SE: Why would a deaf person be calling us?

A deaf person cannot hear, they still need to eat you stupid twit. They are likely calling you for the same reason most people call you, they want pizza and they want it quick and cheap.

Wal-Mart* to the rescue
    *or any other big box store

Me: This is relay assisting a deaf or hard of hearing person placing this phone call. Have you received a relay call before?
    SE: Sorry, no solicitations, please feel free to contact corporate.
    *hang up
    Umm, what part of I'm assisting a deaf or hard of hearing person sounded like I was trying to sell you something...
    The other variation
    Me: This is relay assisting a deaf or hard of hearing person who is calling you. Are you familiar with how relay calls work?
    SE: No, let me get you a manager.

You do NOT need a manager to speak to a deaf or hard of hearing person (unless they have asked for a manager)... 9 times out of 10 the person has a question about whether or not something is in stock or a question about the hours of a department... so rather than doing your job and helping the customer because the idea of a deaf person communicating scares you, you decide to waste both your manager's time and the caller's time (and my time, but I'm hourly, so I guess that shouldn't bother me).

stop reading your script and listen
    The outsourced call centers are the worst at this, but even some in country in house call centers do this.

SE: Thank you for calling dumbasses incorporated, can I get your account number please?
    SE: I'm sorry sir, what was your account number?
    Me: I am assisting a deaf or hard of hearing person who is calling you, are you familiar with how these calls work? (I can't start the call until the hearing user has verified they understand the process)
    SE: I'm so sorry sir, I am having trouble understanding you, could you please tell me the purpose of this call?
    Me: A relay call is used when a deaf or hard of hearing person is calling you. They are using the internet to type their part of the conversation to you, which I will relay between the two of you. Please speak slowly as I will be typing your part of the conversation, and speak as if speaking to the caller directly. Also, please allow for a slight delay as they type their responses. Do you have any questions before I connect the caller?
    SE: I'm still not sure what it is you want, sir can you please provide me with your account number?

Stop reading your fucking script and LISTEN to what I am saying. Had you done that the first time we wouldn't still be talking, and you wouldn't eventually just dump me on a supervisor because you were incapable of doing anything other than listen for an account number to plug in so you could move onto the next line of the script. I get that companies require you to read them, but I highly doubt you will get in trouble for leaving the script long enough to actually understand how the call you are taking is going to work.

What part of deaf don't you understand
    This is another primarily outsourced call center gripe, but once again, even in house people have this problem.

SE: I'm sorry, we can only speak to the caller directly, can you put them on the phone?
    Me: (and I'm ashamed to admit I have said this) Sir, are you unclear on what deaf means? They CANNOT hear on the phone which is why they are having me interpret for them.
    SE: We must speak to them directly we can't go through a third party.
    Me: You ARE speaking to them directly. (legally they are, as far as the FCC and anti-discrimination law is concerned, for as long as the deaf person is connected to us, we are one and the same, we are merely an extension of them)
    SE: No, we must speak to them directly, I will have to ask them to call back when they can speak to us directly.

Dear God, I only hope every time that happens the deaf person files a complaint with the FCC and gets the company nailed with massive fines and the employee fired. Discrimination is NEVER acceptable, so please just stop. Deaf people have every legal and moral right to perform the same business transactions as hearing people (baring any unusual safety concern where hearing would be needed)

Yes, I am aware of that, are you?
    This happens a lot with a certain cell phone provider, hell, I'll name names, AT&T (T-Mobile is actually amazingly good, as is Verizon, I'd suggest them to anyone on here looking for new service).

SE: You realize you've reached a phone company right?
    Me: Yes.
    SE: Why would a deaf person be calling a phone company.

AT&T in particular should not have problem figuring out why a deaf person would call them, considering their voice reliability (or lack there of) and good data network, deaf people are just about the perfect customers for them. Seriously dude, text messages, mobile internet, the new iPhone with video phone function... I don't know, why the hell would a deaf person be contacting you.

No words
    This is one where I'll do a specific story. This was calling a hotel, and the desk clerk was just...

Me: This is relay assisting a deaf or hard of hearing person placing this phone call, have you received a relay call before?
    SE: No.
    SE: Well, we're not a clinic or anything, so I don't think there is anything we can do for your caller.

Deaf people do more than be deaf, they work, they eat, they even go on vacation to bumfuck towns with desk clerks who are too stupid to comprehend the fact that just because someone has a disability doesn't mean that they do nothing in their lives other than treat that disability. Hell, the person who was calling happens to be very successful (I've relayed for him other times and his bank account has more in checking than I have in total assets). This man does not need help, what he needs is a place to stay when he is visiting your shit hole town, hence him calling you, a person who should be offering said accommodations.
    God damnit people, it's bad enough in my personal life that I have to explain to people that I do more than be gay all day long (which okay, that is true, but work with me) that I do actually have other interests and passions and personality, now I have to spend 28 hours a week explaining to people who should understand what it is like to be disadvantaged (granted economically rather than physically) that one trait of a person doesn't define them. I would never say that all this hotel clerk does is live at the poverty line and I can't help because I don't offer foodstamps, where the hell does he get off saying that he can't help because the person is deaf.

Not that our deaf users are blameless
    There are several peeves of mine with our deaf users. First off, please let me relay automated messages to you... you never know, it may just have important information that will make both of our lives easier (like the number for the afterhours emergency line you want to call for example).
    If I don't relay it, it didn't happen. If I say that there was no rings, it went straight to voice mail, that's what happened, questioning me about how many times it rang is pointless, because I've told you... it didn't.
    On that note, believe it or not, but sometimes people aren't available to take calls, and most people don't just happen to not notice a phone ringing. I guess it is possible they will leave a phone on silent and not notice it, but in that case redialing multiple times probably won't help. Ringing phones is used as a torture device, so please, don't waste both of our times asking me to call back more than a couple of times, they aren't going to magically realize the phone was ringing, because they most likely aren't available to answer.
    On that note, I get that not everyone is a good speller, but when the word is spelled out for you on your screen not 30 seconds before, seriously, what is your excuse for getting it wrong (and these are simple words like redial).
    Oh, and give credit where it is due, please don't say "hold for a live rep"... guess what, just because all you have to do is sit there and wait for me to get you one, I actually have to look for a live rep, please give credit where it is due.

Oh, that felt good to vent.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Wow, you have my sympathy. You sure have to deal with a lot of suckage. Some of the hearing folks you've reached sound really stupid.

That said, I have an idea what might be going on with the ones where they keep saying the same thing over and over. I take ads for a newspaper. We have not received a legitimate relay call in years. Seriously. Every relay call we've gotten for probably ten or more years now has been someone trying to place a scam ad. If any deaf people are placing ads with us, they're doing it by going to our website.

It's possible that other companies are in this same situation, and the way they've chosen to deal with it is to keep repeating requests for account numbers, tell them to call directly, etc. It's illegal to refuse to take the call, but there are ways to make the scam caller give up on the conversation. Unfortunately, that just makes your job harder. I know that the operator can't converse at all other than to explain how the call works, so it's no use telling them that I know the caller is trying to pull a scam; they can't even hang up until the caller wants to, so we all just sit there until one of us hangs up.

Let me be very clear: I know that the relay operators are not at fault, and neither are the actual deaf people who use relay. It's the scammers who go online to use this service who are making things difficult.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The first time I received a relay call I admit I was a little intimidated (was still battling shyness). But I was very polite and spoke clearly and a little slower than normal (speed talker here) so that the operator could type everything out. Then I received a few more in the following years and knew what to expect. Was always polite and professional. Unlike the people you have to deal with.

It always bothers me when people act like those with audio disabilities are completely helpless. I don't know sign language, but have always tried to communicate with pen and paper when needed. I remember when I worked at the bookstore we had a regular customer who was deaf. One time he was at the register and I had written down the amount due and the customer behind him had made a remark about him being a retard. When I finished with him and took this lovely customer, I informed them that he was deaf from an accident and that he was purchasing a classic book to read on the bus, therefore he must not be that stupid. The look on the person's face was priceless.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
        SE: Why would a deaf person be calling a phone company.

AT&T in particular should not have problem figuring out why a deaf person would call them, considering their voice reliability (or lack there of) and good data network, deaf people are just about the perfect customers for them. Seriously dude, text messages, mobile internet, the new iPhone with video phone function... I don't know, why the hell would a deaf person be contacting you.
        Oh I don't know...how about the iPad which (if you bought the one with the 3G capability) has no actual Cellular Phone functions and instead uses the 3G network for Internet and texting capability?

Or perhaps the dozen or so netbooks that are sold at a nice discounted price as long as you get the 3G data plan for the internet?

Or as Smiley put it, an iPhone with Internet and texting? I know of three deaf people with those personally and they all think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread for that very reason. Internet and Texting.

Just more people with Cranial-rectal insertion disorder.
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I had a deaf SC use one of these services to angrily complain and insult me. It was odd hearing angry words spoken in a calm deadpan.

Comment

I had a CW at my last job that was hard of hearing but was pro at reading lips. She was actually very good at her job (food service/register) and of course she made mistakes (usually it was mixing up names of either drinks or customers that look the same when spoken ex: olive juice/I love you) but she always tried what she could to get an accurate order even if that meant having the customer write it down or asking a CW to say it slower (she had a hard time reading the super speedy spanish speakers...can't really blame her..I had the same problem with hearing )

It used to drive me nuts when people would make fun of her or complain once her back was turned because "She shouldn't be on register if she can't hear me!" Even my DM tried to convince me to let her go (of course it wasn't "because she's hard of hearing" ) I just showed the DM that she was one of the top sellers in the DISTRICT and that shut DM up real quick!

I'm always amazed at how ignorant people can be with disabilities! sorry to threadjack a bit....I'm sorry that both you and your customers have to deal with these jerks.
            Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

For the wage slaves at corporate stores, I don't really blame them for foisting you off on a manger, mainly because they are almost all have it ingrained in them that initiative will be punished, not rewarded, and it is the manager's job to deal with anything out of the usual.

As for cellphone companies and deaf users?

I have a friend who went to RIT. Apparently RIT has a huge deaf population, and they all (at his time) carried sidekicks. The first time he was back home and saw people actually, you know, TALKING, on one he was dumbfounded for a few and simply couldn't parse it :P

Really, Text/IMing has to be one of the greatest inventions for the deaf community in a while. Instant communication over unlimited distance with a large portion of the population. No new skill required on either party. Nothing 'strange' for the hearing side of the conversation to deal with, etc etc. I mean, I never parsed this until my friend from RIT mentioned it, and it was then just one of those "Huh, that makes perfect sense" moments :P

Comment

*smacks head on keyboard* I am so sorry! These people sound like complete idiots!! I haven't gone through a company like yours, so I've dealt with the people straight up some people will just never slooooooooooow down! :P

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  God damnit people, it's bad enough in my personal life that I have to explain to people that I do more than be gay all day long (which okay, that is true, but work with me) that I do actually have other interests and passions and personality
                  I once has a supe who's core of his existence was just that - being gay. He used to recall, in great detail, the male stripper he'd seen the previous Saturday night.
                  I for one really, really didn't care to know - if that was what floated his boat so be it, but there is such a thing as "over sharing".

Drama queen? He was one magna cum handbag.

If I were to tell you he was one of the reasons I left there, not because of the gayness, but because of the bitchiness, would you understand?
                  Last edited by lineswine; 01-24-2011, 02:52 PM. Reason: typo *sigh*

Comment

My God some of that was bad. While I'm not a relay operator, we do some similar work on government contracts. However, I luck out in that I'm not relaying directly and am collecting info from a deaf caller before passing it to the appropriate people. We dispatch sign language interpreters when a deaf person or emergency service needs someone onsite to translate between the two. So luckily everyone involved knows what the fark is going on.

Discrimination though, that makes me twitch. I doubt I'd have been as polite as you. Although I'll admit I've had the rare call from deep deep south where someone has matter of factly said something so mind blowingly racist I couldn't even respond.

Comment

holy fuckeroini some of those people were really clueless.

i mean i've never received a relay call but i still remember seeing some tty phones on tv i think, and understood what it was... if people stopped to think for a moment before opening their pie-traps ... it would make sense.

Comment

Egads, what clots!! Sometimes I think these divvies are the deaf ones; my experience of deaf people is that they always can tell what you're saying... well, in person, anyway.

I took the time to research British Sign Language and I know a good number of words. I'd love to take a course. No reason really other than I thought it was cool. I don't know any hard-of-hearing personally, just when serving them one time or other.
                        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

This is an issue that makes my blood boil; my father is *this close* to being deaf and he gets left out of a lot because he just can't hear what's going on. He has a Master's degree, is also extremely intelligent in general and gets bulldozed just because he has trouble understanding people. It's even more infuriating when people who should know better, like my sister, yell something to him across the house and then gets upset when he doesn't answer. He's been like this his entire life, he's not going to magically get his hearing back, you know?

(I usually blow up at her, she yells back, Dad innocently wanders in, observes a fight going on, turns his hearing-aids off and wanders right back out)

In my old bookstore I had several coworkers who didn't like deaf people and would wish that they would stop doing "all that stupid signing" and "learn to lip-read already". They learned real fast not to say that around me.

Story time:
                          My dad works for the Department of Rehabilitation as a counselor specializing with deafness. Once a week the counselors have to stay late taking the walk-ins as opposed to their usual appointments. When my dad does this he does the deaf thing and communicates with his interpreter. This is easier for him as many people interpret hard-of-hearing = can hear anything. Plus he gets more time to observe the person and plan on a course of action.
                          Anyway, he had an older woman in a wheelchair come in wanting to speak to a counselor. He gets into the general appointment room with his interpreter and signs hello (with the interpreter speaking). The woman's jaw dropped and she demanded his supervisor. When the supervisor came the woman complained that she didn't want "people like him" doing her case and that doing things like signing "had no place in a professional environment".

I couldn't help but think of Terry Pratchett when he first told me this story.

Comment

What is considered so wrong about sign language? I've read about the French banning the teaching of their version for what, fifty years? I think BSL is awesome. My housemate and I use it to communicate over a noisy pub.
                            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Every relay call we've gotten for probably ten or more years now has been someone trying to place a scam ad. If any deaf people are placing ads with us, they're doing it by going to our website.
                              Well, to use relay services such as what Smiley does requires that you register. That's gotten rid of the majority of the scammers.

Currently, the only option deaf people have with that system is to place the ad through the website. Or give up and go elsewhere. Or just give up.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X