This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A noise complaint gets out of hand. very long

This is a long one, for shortened version skip to bottom.

A while ago, day after Christmas I think, I was working the audit shift at the hotel. The guy I was relieving told me that there was nothing going on and I should have a quite night, if only.

Around 12:30 a guy (guest A) calls down and tells me that he can hear noises coming from the room upstairs. Ok no problem I go up and I can hear noise coming from the room, I knock on the door and remind them (guest B) that it is getting late and to try to keep the noise down, they say ok and I think all is well in the world. Then around 1 am guest A calls down to the desk angry telling me that he has been dealing with this the entire night and I should come to his room and sit on his bed and listen to the noise. Um no I am alone in this hotel with no working cordless phone I am not about to go to a guests room who wants me to sit on there bed. I tell him I will go back up and deal with the situation. He threatens to call the police if nothing is done about it. I go up and hear nothing, I just figured that they just put the kids to bed or something and go back down.

About 10 min later guest A comes down to the desk and tells me that he has had enough whips out his cell phone and dials 911 and tells them that there is a domestic disturbance and that someone is harassing him. I was shocked to say the least. When the police show up they talk to the guy and then come up to me and tell me that I need to learn how to handle these things on my own. They ask what the room above guest A is, I tell them and they go on their way before I could tell them that I did not call them.

After a few min I get a call from guest B who is livid and demands me to come up to her room. I get there and the police are trying to get information from her but she does not want to give anything more than her name and address. The min I get there she starts asking me why the manager called the police. I tell her that I am the only one here and I did not call the police. One of the police officers looks at me and ask "Your didnt call us?" I told him that I didnt, I had no reason to. He asks who did and I told him it was the guest you spoke with when you arrived. They finished with guest B and go down all the while asking me if I was sure that guest A called them. I told them there was no doubt and they precede to read him the riot act for calling the police for a non police matter.

After the police leave and guest A leaves with his tail tucked between his legs. I call my manager and leave a message on her voice mail about what happened and to call me back. Guest B calls down demanding to know who the police officers were and there badge numbers, she wanted to lodge a complaint with the department. The officers never gave me any of that information but I gave her the phone number for the department. Then guest A comes down telling me that he can still hear the noise so I move him to a different room, which I would have done sooner if he had not called 911. I am trying to get him squared away and out of my face when guest B comes down and they start talking and yelling, not at each other but about the general situation. My manager calls me back so I am trying to tell her what is going on and guests are yelling about the situation. My manager tells me to compt everyones room. I do that to the extent that I can. Guest B had a package for the water park and wanted the price of her tickets and package upgrades refunded to I told her that all I could do was room now she told me that was fine and she would be speaking to some one in the morning. Finally everyone leaves me alone.

Short version:
    I hate people.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM.

That was so wrong, on so many levels, it's amazing Bowser Koopa didn't show up.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I worked in a ratty four star hotel, and stupid sales dept would book dozens of weddings and funerals to stay at one time. For those who don't work in the hotel, these "events" are the worst, becuz the wedding people do nothing but party all night aka lots of noise complaints...it got to the point where I was calling the police EVERY single night, as my manager encouraged me to. Um, EVERY night? Once this drunken wedding bunch of weirdos thought it was hilarious to knock on the door of the guy across the hall, and then run away. Guy was furious. I sent "security" up to check, which was really a skinny old guy who had zero authority, and he just suggested that I call the police. Found out later that that hotel has the worst reviews on TripAdvisor, and it's been around for decades. Hightailed it out of there!
      Can't reason with the unreasonable.
      The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Usually it is not that bad, but I have never had anyone call the police about a noise complaint, even when there have been really destructive sport teams in. You are lucky that you even have "security", from 11pm-7am I am alone.

Comment

Working...
        X