This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Drive Do's and Dont's

It's that time in Austin again! We're collecting bags for the Austin food bank that you can buy at several stores to feed the needy in the city. There are pre-made bags for you to buy containing the most requested non-perishable items, and you can also donate money. The bags cost $5, or you can donate cash in $1, $3, and $5 denominations.

That being said, here is a handy guide for how to answer to my question:

"Would you like to donate a bag to the Austin Food Bank today?"

GOOD ANSWERS:

"Sure! It's the least I can do!"

"I donated earlier, but thank you!"

"No, thank you."

"Not today, thanks."

NOT GOOD ANSWERS:

"If it isn't going to me, why would I pay for it?"

"*big rant about the food bank and how it's paying for people who don't want to find jobs and are living off their hard-earned money*"

"Hell no!"

"I am the food bank! HAW HAW! *pays for $200 of wine*" (one of my customers)

--

Seriously, people, all you have to say is no. I can understand if maybe you don't have the funds to donate right now, or maybe you do have a beef with the food bank, but I don't need to hear about it. I won't judge you if you just be polite, and I won't pressure you into buying a bag. Don't make yourself look like an ass.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
    Don't make yourself look like an ass.
    Well... If it looks like an ass and talks like an ass and walks like an ass...

...At least we know it's not a duck >_>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have to confess here...

Yah my usual response is "not today"

But when I get the people in front of the local grocery store asking me to help the needy kids and they see I have 2 in tow...I respond with..."I can't, I need to take care of mine first." Sometimes changing up the response for me is nice, because it seems that I can't go to the store without being asked for money.

Comment

I always just say "No thank you" and am polite about it.

However, the local Goodwill and Savers are about to be completely bombarded with literally an entire closet full of shirts/skirts/pants/sweaters.

As soon as I get the courage to go in there and bag that stuff up. I'm afraid it may even take two trips.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          However, the local Goodwill and Savers are about to be completely bombarded with literally an entire closet full of shirts/skirts/pants/sweaters.

As soon as I get the courage to go in there and bag that stuff up. I'm afraid it may even take two trips.
          ugh..you just reminded me I need to clean out our closets and do the same thing. Lots of baby clothes to go through!

But back on topic: I almost always donate change or whatever I can to the charities in the stores (at least the ones I believe in) especially those with the shamrocks/balloons/stars or whatever the shape is since most places will post them around the store and I've always made a game in finding mine. that and usually I find that most places will have a contest for their team member on who can sell the most and it's fun to watch people fight on who gets to serve me

But that's just me and there are times when I choose not to donate witha simple "No thank you!". Unless the person soliciting is rude or pushy that's all that is ever needed!

p.s. I wish that we had that food drive around here!
          Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I don't understand why people feel the need to defend themselves if they don't want to donate. We all have our causes that we like to donate to and others that we choose not to donate to. I certainly don't donate to every single cause I'm asked to donate to when I go shopping. If I'm not interested I just say "not today" and that's it. I don't think the clerk waiting on me cares if I donate or not, they are probably asking because it is required by their managers. If by chance a clerk ever did get snotty with me for saying no I would certainly speak to a manager, but I've yet to see that happen.

Comment

Whenever they have that canned food drive around here, I get this image of a food bank with nothing but cans of Lima Beans and Sauerkraut in my head.
              "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Sometimes I feel like a meanie for not donating to certain things and then donating to other things but there are two things I ALWAYS do. I always donate at least a buck to the animals when I go to SmartPet, and I always buy a book at Borders for those kids who get them donated to their school or thingy.

I think you really can tell what's important to people based on their donations. I donate to animals and kids who need to read. Five bucks is nothing though, I'd do that if I was asked...that's like...the LEAST I could do.

Comment

5 is a lot to me.

But then, I do tend to donate my pocket change.

My normal replies is either: I already did back at . . . (which would be true),
                  Sure. It's not much, but at least it's a coffee.
                  Glad to. Can I wait until payday so I can afford it? (On payday, I'm sometimes more generous.)
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth computergeekett View Post
                    I have to confess here...

Yah my usual response is "not today"

But when I get the people in front of the local grocery store asking me to help the needy kids and they see I have 2 in tow...I respond with..."I can't, I need to take care of mine first." Sometimes changing up the response for me is nice, because it seems that I can't go to the store without being asked for money.
                    Same here. I'm trying to raise 2 kids on one salary, and $5 is a lot to us right now.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      I always just say "No thank you" and am polite about it.

Can I make a suggestion? If there are any womens' shelters in your area, donate the clothes there. You've got a lot of women and children who left their homes with only the clothes on their backs, not to mention that anything suitable for a job interview/work is always desperately needed.

I work on a clothing drive for our local shelter and it's heartbreaking when a decent pair of pants or a warm sweater can reduce someone to tears.
                      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

I don't mind donating to charity. I love animals and donate to animal charities frequently. I also donate to St. Jude, Red Cross, and others. I have no problem when asked to donate a buck or two when I'm out shopping. But I also like to donate privately. Remember, donating does not always have to be monetarily. Donating a few hours a week at your local animal shelter or soup kitchen can be far more rewarding than dropping some change in a bucket.
                        Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

I get stupid responses like those when my job has a donation thing going all the time. Just say no... there's no need to force your belief onto me or other customers or as has been said make an ass of yourself. The other day we were asking people if they want to buy a box of snack cakes (think "satan canines") because our store requires us to sell these "push items" at the register, and this woman assumed that they were for a charity and her response was "No I refuse to donate in grocery stores because they only do it for a tax break and I never get a tax break."

Comment

I've had too much experience with the bad ones. Where I am there's always a bunch of people panhandling. It can be for charity, some environmental issue, some political stance, etc. After a while it gets exhausting to run the gauntlet - I feel like I'm always saying "No, thank you".

The university I work at and the shops around it had to set up policies and security to stop the harassment (one christmas season there were literally charities lined up next to each other trying to shame students into giving. Sorry, it's not a rich school and many students had to think about themselves!)

I've had pushy charity people follow me to my car. Freaked. Me. Out.

Now I'm just polite but firm in my refusal.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                              I donate to animals and kids who need to read.
                              I read that as kids and animals who need to read, and went, 'Wait, what?"
                              But, yeah, I usually buy a book for the kids when Borders runs that... usually, Dr. Seuss, or maybe a Roald Dahl...
                              But, to me, charity is something you do without being pushed for it. Which is why, when my store runs that sort of promotion, I ask once, and if the customer says 'No', I shut up about it. It's not my business who you donate to.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X