This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupon Whores and $5 footlong hell

You can guess what the focal point(s) of this rant is going to be...Subway has money to waste, so they started that stupid $5 footlong deal again.

I hate that damned deal - it makes the store(s) lose money because people buy the most expensive subs otherwise and not buy chips or a drink. We're supposed to make up the lost money with them buying chips and a drink, except that most people (Especially not college students) don't do that. They just get the most expensive-to-produce subs like the Chicken Teriyaki or the Chicken Bacon Ranch and leave, or put $10 worth of veggies on and $5 worth of mayonnaise/ranch. So yay, thanks.

Not to mention, the $5 footlongs brings out the stupidest people on campus and in town. In addition to this, it also brings out the Coupon Whores.

Only ONE Coupon per order is allowed, for one. This is to close loopholes so we don't get people like the depression-era seniors my mom and grandma dealt with. They do all their shoppings and then give an entire stack of coupons, with expired coupons hidden in the stack so that the person wouldn't notice. When it finishes, the grocery store either gives $50-100+ worth of stuff away for dirt-cheap if not free and the people behind them are frustrated as hell because it takes forever to enter them.

This also applies at Subway.

Dude comes in and uses a coupon that's a BOGO with a medium drink, and wonders why it still costs money. okay for starters, you got a meatball, which is a five dollar footlong by DEFAULT (I don't have to adjust its price, for example) and a Club, which is NOT. It says on the coupon "Does not stack with other deals" And this includes the "All regular subs are $5". He complains that I overcharged him and the manager comes over and re-enters it...and essentially gives him free footlongs because he complained loud enough. Yay...You just know he's going to go raise hell in some other place because he knows how to manipulate people.

No, we don't take coupons in French. No, we don't take coupons that are in Spanish, either. This is not Quebec, nor is it Mexico/Miami/Texas/New Mexico/Puerto Rico.

Dude comes in with a coupon that has "FREE SUB" in huge red letters and in tiny black letters, mentions that he has to buy a fresh value meal with it to get the free sub. I actually take the time to read the coupon, and inform him that in order for the deal to work, he has to buy a fresh value meal. Not keen onp arting with a whopping two dollars he raises a fit and then the manager comes over. This time she says he has to get a fresh value meal for the coupon to work instead of caving and giving him free food, and the guy quiets down...after saying "You should write your coupons better". I can understand misreading the coupon because they write the letters small, but I only work here - we do not write the coupons. The people in charge of marketing do - that's an issue you should be talking to THEM about.

No, we don't take coupons that expired in 2010.

No, we don't take coupons that expired in 2008, either. I check the expiration date.

No, that coupon isn't one of those Day/Month/Year formats, either - There are 31 months in a year, now? (Sides what coupon expires on the FIFTH of a month?!)

You can only redeem that "Free 6 inch" coupon for participating in a study at the store you got it from. Those don't come from this store!

That coupon doesn't work because it's for a free breakfast sandwich before 10 AM - the time is 2:30 PM. There's a clock right behind me. No, I didn't doctor it because I didn't want to use the coupon...take out your cell phone and check.

No, the "Free Bacon" Coupon only applies if you want extra bacon - it actually says so on the coupon. It doesn't mean you get a free BLT, but I can see where you were going with that. It's not one of those coupons that puts it in near-invisible writing.

Alright, $5 footlong hell:

-The $5 footlong does NOT work on 6-inches.

-It only says regular subs. No I'm not a racist because I'm charging you full price for a Beast Feast - I had to point out it said regular subs and not the premium subs. It is not my fault again - blame the marketing company for using deceptive language or not explaining it, or yourself for not reading the fine print.

-Hey! You can't take that 44 oz drink if you're just going to fill it up with water! You have to pay for that!

-Yes, that's a great idea - try to steal cookies when you dont' have enough by reaching in front of three people's faces to open the cookie drawer from out side. BRILLIANT MOVE.

-The cooler is a pull door. Why on earth would you try to freaking PUSH it?! How many coolers do you know with a push door?

-No we don't have Tacos - there's a Taco Bell upstairs.

-No, we don't have Meat Loaf. We didn't have it the last 40 times you asked. No, we didn't get it in between the time you asked at lunch and when you came in at dinner.

-Yes, we're open.

-We can't toast a salad.

-So lemme get this straight...you want a flatbread, but with no flatbread, and you don't want a salad either?

-We don't rent movies! :O Why on earth would SUBWAY rent movies?! We don't have a REdbox here! I'm afraid I don't know where the redbox on campus is, if we have one. You'd have to go upstairs and ask the people at the information desk.

-PUT THAT CELL PHONE DOWN, dammit!

-XYZ, sir. And put on some underwear.

-Dear walking ghetto stereotype: The idea of wearing your pants at half-mast is to show your boxers...NOT YOUR FREAKING BUTT AND PUBES!!!! Nobody has to see that!!!!

-You fail counterfeiting forever - We don't take bills larger than a $20 anyways, and I hate to break it to you bub...but George Washington is NOT on a $100 bill.
    Kangaroo Squee!

You...

Can't toast a salad?

Who wanted a toasted salad?
    Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

And who expected Subway to have tacos and meatloaf (although I suppose they COULD do it since they have wraps and could combine the meat used for the meatballs into a meatloaf... but c'mon)?

Comment

Have they started singing the $5 Footlong song?

Also, I am sooo glad that the subways down here all a) stick to one price and b) do not allow ANY coupons to work with premium subs at all. (premium subs down here are considered to be Chicken and Bacon Ranch and Chicken Parmy subs)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

You can make a meatloaf sandwich mmmmm.

Comment

We have also started $5 dollar footlong Hell over here too. It's ironic that we get twice the amount of bitchers and moaners with the $5 dollar special than we do when only 8 sandwiches are $5. Bunch of entitled brats.

We've been getting a slew of people that are all up in arms because the Philly Steak (premium sub) is NOT $5. However, every other sandwich was have IS.

Also much more 4+ sandwich orders. (mostly Chicken bacon ranches, teriyakis, or insert any other really expensive sub here) It's a huge pain in the ass.

Over a month ago we also had a woman that was literally in shock that we charge extra for double cheese. She pulled the "None of the other Subways do it!" card, which is bullshit because I'm sure it's standard that EVERY Subway is required to charge for extra cheese. It's how they make their biggest profits.

And for the 934864395th time, we do NOT take bills larger than a $20!
            My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
            My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

I saw the halftime commercial advertising "Februany" and that any footlong is 5 dollars. Nice how they avoid mentioning that doesn't include premium subs. You're right, marketing brings the terror down upon your shoulders, because I can see why customers get confused by commercials like that. And I just knew there'd be stories here once I saw it.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Am I the only one that actually reads the coupon. That's why it take me so fricking long to grocery shop, cause I read the ENTIRE coupon. I think the CEOs and the stupids that make these ads should have to work in subway for one week. I bet then they would make a different ad then. Five dollar subs EXCLUDING premium subs.

Comment

They wouldn't re-write the coupon to make sense! Then it wouldn't seem like such a great deal and no one would go to subway to redeem it. Farking corporate
                  Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Now I want Subway for lunch.

Comment

this is more about coupon hell - went to Arby's to pick up lunch for the office; while waiting for my order one of the cashiers talks to the MOD; "do you see this coupon? It EXPIRED in 97, i was 6 in 97, that is an old ass coupon; and its in Spanish"
                      the MOD did fuss at her for "swearing" in front of a customer; but then explained that they HAVE to take it (and i could tell that she thought it insane) i told them about what i read on hear, how everybody foists the acceptance of expired coupons off to managers to CYA...

the cashier was keeping it to show her spanish teacher, because she was the only one on shift when it came in that understood it, she was proud of herself.
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                        Nice how they avoid mentioning that doesn't include premium subs. You're right, marketing brings the terror down upon your shoulders, because I can see why customers get confused by commercials like that.
                        I saw the ad, too. And yes, it IS exclusively the fault of the Marketing guys and the executives who allow them to keep using the phrasing they use in the ads...But, to be fair, it *does* say that it doesn't cover all subs, just like all of the other ads they've done in this campaign...

The problem is, the way they phrase it is "ANY ANY ANY ANY ANY ANY ANY sub, five-dollar-footlooooong ANY ANY ANY ANY ANY standard/regular subs only ANY ANY ANY ANY ANY ANY five-dollar-footlooooong...."
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

offer them a six inch version of any of your foot longs. see if they take you up on the offer

Comment

I love $5 footlong. I think it's a drag that it's only a month-long promotion. I just love the chance to get turkey or roast beef for $5 instead of $6 and $7.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
                              You...

Can't toast a salad?

Who wanted a toasted salad?
                              that's what i was thinking.
                              personally i hate toasting my subs anyway, but ... a salad?

wouldn't that make the lettuce look wilted? not to mention melt the plastic container...

i haven't been to subway in a while but... why would they want to pay $5 for a 6 inch sub
                              or are they just trying to scam one out of you for $2.50?
                              Last edited by PepperElf; 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X