This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad Maker's Lament.

Of course, I only started this job last week, so I imagine there will be more complaints later.

Most of my campus is very nice, but soft spoken. This is where I start the list of irritating customers.

1) Speak loud. the Refrigerator, and the over sized nacho-cheese melter are right behind me. I might as well have earplugs in. If I'm shouting, you should be too.

2) Quit texting for five minutes while I make your salad. I don't care as much when it's only one person, but when there are twenty people waiting in line, I get loud.

3) I know you are in a rush, because there are twenty people behind you, but I have a poor memory. Max list of three ingredients at a time.

4) Yes, we just got new bowls, yes they're smaller. I didn't choose it.

5) Don't glare at me if I ask for clarification. There are two cheeses, two ranches, three kinds of chicken, two kinds of olives, and three peppers. Bite me.

I think that's all. Feel free to add more if you can think of more!
    "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

I always wanted to say "I'm not a mind reader, and even if I was I don't bother with the cliff notes"...but only did so in my head!

Comment

Quoth noone View Post
      1) Speak loud. the Refrigerator, and the over sized nacho-cheese melter are right behind me. I might as well have earplugs in. If I'm shouting, you should be too.
      Had that problem back when I worked at Arby's. Customers just don't realize how noisy the food machines are. Between the shrill alarms of the fry vats, the roar of the milkshake machine, the whine of the meat-cutting blade and all the other racket-makers, I'd end up with a massive headache every day. And the customers, who'd speak to each other in normal voices, step up to the counter and whisper, "I'd like the number three with a sprite..." You're ordering lunch, not divulging government secrets! Speak up!
      Last edited by XCashier; 02-12-2011, 09:24 PM.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Guinness 74 View Post
        I always wanted to say "I'm not a mind reader, and even if I was I don't bother with the cliff notes"...but only did so in my head!
        That sounds similar to my thoughts on reading sucktomers' minds: "I'm not a mind reader, and even if I was, your page is blank."
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          Customers just don't realize how noisy the food machines are.
          That's the thing, though....they really DON'T realize how noisy things are on your side. Perfect example from my side....when a bar patron is talking to me, and I have to reach into one of the beer coolers for a beer or other items, most times I cannot hear them over the fans in the coolers. The problem is, from their side of the bar, they don't really hear those fans, and they don't understand that I can't hear them unless I tell them that. After all, their head is not the one stuck down in the cooler reaching for a Corona.

This is one thing to remember, folks....the customers don't always realize some of the things you are dealing with, and some of the noises you deal with sound different or quieter to them, or they don't hear them at all. Think about it...how many times have you been in a bar, seen a bartender reach into a cooler for a beer, and actually HEARD the coolers? Probably not many, if at all.

I'm not excusing all the stupid stuff many customers do, including some listed in this thread. Just pointing out some things to keep in mind.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

I agree, I always speak with a soft tone becuz loudness to me equals aggressive equals rude. I was once ordering a coffee from a barista and he barked, "Speak up! Man, I can't HEAR a single THING that comes from YOUR MOUTH!! Your VOICE is so DAM SOFT!!" I was shocked. If I had spoken to a customer like that, my ass would be grass. I told him so and he subdued. If he would've explained that the coffee machine and fridge were loud, I would've gladly spoken up...
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Think about it...how many times have you been in a bar, seen a bartender reach into a cooler for a beer, and actually HEARD the coolers?.
              I'm newly 21; I haven't, but I get your point.
              "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                This is one thing to remember, folks....the customers don't always realize some of the things you are dealing with, and some of the noises you deal with sound different or quieter to them, or they don't hear them at all. Think about it...how many times have you been in a bar, seen a bartender reach into a cooler for a beer, and actually HEARD the coolers? Probably not many, if at all.
                That would explain a "problem" I used to have with a guy who ran the cash register at a nearby McDonald's - always had to repeat myself about two or three times before he was able to hear/understand what I was saying.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                  I was once ordering a coffee from a barista and he barked, "Speak up! Man, I can't HEAR a single THING that comes from YOUR MOUTH!! Your VOICE is so DAM SOFT!!" I was shocked. If I had spoken to a customer like that, my ass would be grass. I told him so and he subdued. If he would've explained that the coffee machine and fridge were loud, I would've gladly spoken up...
                  You would have, I've no doubt. My customers, on the other hand...I'd say, "Could you speak up a little, please? I can't hear you over the shake machine and fry vat," would either,
                  1. repeat their order in the exact same soft whisper, or
                  2. get all bent out of shape, say they shouldn't have to repeat themselves and I should clean the wax outta my ears!

You just can't win with some people.

Now if only we could convince kitchen machine manufacturers to make their products quieter...
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Even in a call centre if its particularly busy there's a ton of background noise on our end the caller may not hear. Or if you have one particularly high volume coworker near you <wince>.

For some reason the title made me think of the Log Driver's Waltz. But I doubt a Salad Maker's Lament pleases girls completely.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      You would have, I've no doubt. My customers, on the other hand...I'd say, "Could you speak up a little, please? I can't hear you over the shake machine and fry vat," would either,
                      1. repeat their order in the exact same soft whisper, or
                      2. get all bent out of shape, say they shouldn't have to repeat themselves and I should clean the wax outta my ears!

You just can't win with some people.

Now if only we could convince kitchen machine manufacturers to make their products quieter...
                      I get a variation of that too . . . no matter how polite you try to tell them "I'm sorry, but could you speak up please? I can't hear you very well" most of the time it flies over their heads.

They tend to get irritated when I have to tell them "I'm sorry, but I still can't hear you very well." Even with a hand cupped over one ear, they don't get it.

Even worse is when it's coworkers whom I have constantly, constantly reminded of this who continue to do this. It drives me totally batty.

Now if corporate would cut the volume down on the Musak on the aisles it'd help some. . . *sigh*
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Ever since the wreck over 4 years ago, I've not been able to use the chalkboard at work, and have to used the overhead (which I detest!) instead. The fan in that thing is LOUD. I can usually hear WHEN a student is saying something, but unless they speak up, I can't hear WHAT they are saying.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Here is the goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvVKvEcXsAE

Comment

Working...
                          X