This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Not This Thing Again!!

Just a quick one. Actually made me laugh!

------------

Client: Ok, so for the new website, I'll need one of your high quality designs, plus extra custom page designs done up. I'll need a nice admin area for me, because that php thing confuses me.

Seraph: ok, what features are you looking for?

Client: Let's see, dynamic page creation, members thing, so people can register and view profiles and whatnot. I'll also need a big advertisement selling feature, with a nice shopping cart styled setup. Oh, and members backends too, so they can edit account details and such.

Client: I want this to be all very efficient, custom code, and I don't want it to be something you took from some cheap online software either.

Seraph: Alrighties then, I'll get you an estimate on this as soon as possible, is there a budget you have in mind for this?

Client: At most....I'd possibly be willing to pay up to $150.00.

Seraph: ....I think you're going to have to go and look at those "cheap online software" options then.....

Client: I thought as much
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Bara's take on this situation-

Client- I want to take a dump on a solid gold toilet with a diamond encrusted handle!

Hero- What is your budget?

Client- 20.00

Hero- Buy a shovel and dig a hole.

Comment

Pretty much, LOL. My coder said that his part alone would've been $500 or so. Amusingly, my designs *start* at $150 for a single page, so he was out from the get go!
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

well, i guess on the bright side he wasn't trying to trade you for 2 sheep and a duck.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I know absolutely nothing about web page design and even I started laughing when I read that! $150...is he nuts or just too cheap for words?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Your coder is underpricing himself, OR has most of that software already done and is thinking about code reuse.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

CUSTOMER: "I'd like your best rum, please!"
              JESTER: "Sure thing! Our best rum, in my opinion, is Pyrat Cask 1623, a lovely 40 year blend from Anguilla in the British West Indies. It's $50 a shot."
              CUSTOMER: "Holy cripes! I didn't want to spend that much!"
              JESTER: "What would you like to spend?"
              CUSTOMER: "I was thinking more in the $6 range."
              JESTER: "Bacardi it is!"

I love the people who ask for our "best" rum and then aren't willing to pay more than our well rum prices. I understand not wanting to drop 50 bones on one shot, but please, people, if you ask for the "best" rum, or at least something good, understand that it won't be cheap! We have plenty of really nice (even great) rums in the $11-15 range!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, I think people say things like that because they think it makes them sound cool and sophisticated. Unfortunately for them, this little fantasy doesn't survive their brush with reality.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

All I can say in reply is that they can want in one hand, st in the other and see which one gets filled first.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    We have plenty of really nice (even great) rums in the $11-15 range!
                    Like a 23-year-old Zacapa, perchance?

Comment

Working...
                    X