Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would you inconvenience yourself just to make our job harder?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would you inconvenience yourself just to make our job harder?

This story's from back in January, every retail worker's favorite month (that last part was dripping in sarcasm, just to reassure you all).

When stuff in our store goes on sale, we have to input it into the cash register manually, which makes after-Christmas sales a bit of a challenge. Luckily, this took place while everything was 50% off, so what we would do is tell customers we were going to ring up all of their Christmas items and take the 50% off the whole transaction at the end. The response would be half and half - half of the customers would say great, okay. Half of them would look at us with blank expressions before they figured it out and said okay, or just pretended to figure it out and just assumed we knew what we were doing (which we did).

When my one CW and I are at the register, we pride ourselves on how fast we go through the lines, but one particular day, I notice she takes an unusual amount of time with a customer (who has that lemon-sucking face that just screams SC, from a mile away) and I ask her during a lull what happened.

She explained to the customer that she would ring up her 30-odd Christmas items and then take 50% off the whole transaction. The lemon-faced SC was livid. She asked her to go back (because my CW had already made headway into the transaction) and take the 50% off each item she was purchasing. CW assured her that the result would be exactly the same price and would take less time.

SC insisted - and I mean INSISTED - that CW take the 50% off each item individually (about 30-ish ornaments, candles, and sundry), and took the further step of insisting that she void the transaction she'd been ringing up and start over.

WHY THE CRAP WOULD YOU DO THIS?!?!?! This is actually worse for the customer, for numerous reasons:

1) CW is more prone to error (it happens) and could miss taking the discount off of an item. Transaction discounts ensure it gets taken off of all of them, all at once.

2) This transaction would take at least 10 times as long to ring up, wasting SC's, and CW's, time.

3) SC's receipt will be ten miles long, and much harder to read.

4) Everything is final sale and can't be returned anyway, so why does she need the receipt to list everything out like that?

and 5) IT MAKES NO EARTHLY SENSE!

Why fight my CW on this and be such a bitch about something that is not in any way beneficial to you, and is in fact everything that is not beneficial to you? There's a line about to head out the door, and you decide to waste everyone's time - including your own - just to have your own ill-advised, senseless way?

If someone can explain why this would make sense, I'm welcome to suggestions. Not going to lie, though - I'll probably still be angry about it. And it wasn't even at my register, which might tell you how burnt out I am by SCs at my job.

I have learned in my 30 years of life that some people exist just to annoy others. Thats it. They have no other purpose. Its not even entertainment to them. just what they have to do to get by. I have to eat to live, others have to piss off everyone else.

Comment

because they can't do math and can't figure it out on their own...

Comment

If an item is $1.99, 50% off is $.995. I'm guessing you round this to $.99. (And if I'm wrong, I'm betting your SC thinks this is the case.)

Ten items at $.99 = $9.90

Ten items at $1.99 = $19.90

$19.90 - 50% = $9.95

That's a whole nickel difference!!!!! If she had a really big order, this could add up to as much as a dollar difference!!!!! Oh noes!!!!1elventy!!

That would be why.

MallDrone, please understand that I'm not claiming your customer did not suck! It's just that you did ask why, and it's entirely possible that I'm misunderstanding the situation. I hope it makes you feel better to think she was cleap, and not just mean. Though still sucky.
        Last edited by Sparky; 02-25-2011, 07:21 PM.
        Women can do anything men can.
        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
        Maxine

Comment

Will it make sense? No. Will it make you happy? No. However, depending on how rounding is done at your store, it could provide her a very small benefit, as long as a half penny is rounded down (I doubt your store does it, but it could happen).

30 items, each of them at $9.99 (for ease of demo).

30 x $9.99 = $299.70
          $299.70 / 2 = $149.85

30 x $4.99 = $149.70

Yes, $4.99.

$9.99/2 = $4.995

If your store rounds a half penny down, then it becomes $4.99. She managed to (possibly) save 15 cents.

Considering the amount saved, it might make you angrier. At least it's a possible explanation, though.

ETA: And, of course, somebody else was able to type the answer before I could. Damn work for distracting me.

Comment

Quoth barainga View Post
            I have learned in my 30 years of life that some people exist just to annoy others. Thats it. They have no other purpose. Its not even entertainment to them. just what they have to do to get by. I have to eat to live, others have to piss off everyone else.
            We had a SC who would demand that in the middle of a transaction we cancel it and re-ring it. Why? They kept insisting that it came out cheaper, despite the sub-total at the same point being the same. After that ordeal they would demand to speak withe the MOD looking for freebies due to the long wait. Thankfully they never agreed to it.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
              ETA: And, of course, somebody else was able to type the answer before I could. Damn work for distracting me.
              Life would be so so much more fun if we only had play...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My bet? She wanted to check the price while each item was rung up. Does your register show the price to the customer? Trust me when I say that many customers can't/won't do even simple math. Heck, not even many employees. That's why she wanted the final and discounted price for each item shown as she went along.

I can't even tell you how many times I was snarled at because I scanned too fast. Scan too fast and customers can't see if their beans are ringing up wrong by 2 cents. I only wish I was kidding.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Bainsidhe I love your icon!

As for the customer...dang, that's dumb.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Even though stores tend to round "half off" $1.99 to $0.99, it's mathematically incorrect (but done for psychological reasons, because $0.99 looks MUCH cheaper than $1.00). In a case like this, I'd be tempted (if the register allowed it) to use the mathematically correct rounding ($0.995 rounds up to $1.00) - call it the idiot tax.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Doesn't registers keep the correct result internally until the total is rung up?

Comment

Quoth Daemonmonkey View Post
                        Doesn't registers keep the correct result internally until the total is rung up?
                        Given what was said about the Subtotal above, I'd say "yes".
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sadly enough, I am now angrier having read the explanation. You see, I'd done the math on individual vs. total discounts for our registers before, though not on as large transactions, and the totals always came out the same. Not sure if it's because the total was smaller or because our registers are so advanced, they're onto these customers and their cents-saving ways - okay, nevermind, I'm pretty sure it's the former.
                          Thanks for the explanation, though, guys.

Comment

Another story from back in my cashier days. I was ringing up this lady (full cart and she only had $20...or something like that). The total of course came up to significantly more than $20, so of course she had to take a bunch of stuff off. She of course didn't believe the total, so I was already well over the point where I needed a manager's key. So I voided everything off to get the total back to 0 again. Rang up her stuff and funny, the total matched. AT which point she said, "I still don't believe it" fortunately her friend wasn't nearly as sucky and said, "Come on...he rang it up twice and it came out the same...what else do you want?". Blah.

Comment

Quoth MallDrone View Post
                              Sadly enough, I am now angrier having read the explanation. You see, I'd done the math on individual vs. total discounts for our registers before, though not on as large transactions, and the totals always came out the same. Not sure if it's because the total was smaller or because our registers are so advanced, they're onto these customers and their cents-saving ways - okay, nevermind, I'm pretty sure it's the former.
                              Thanks for the explanation, though, guys.
                              In that case, I would suspect that your machines are just advanced enough to save any necessary rounding for the end of the transaction, rather than rounding with each individual discount. Such programming would certainly make for more accurate transactions, even when you still have to input everything by hand.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X