Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you mean I can't get 8 cents off?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you mean I can't get 8 cents off?

I was reminded of this classic customer suckitude recently by my coworker when I mentioned this site - she said I should post this story, so here it goes.

I'm a key holder in our store (between a regular sales associate and a real assistant manager), so I'm the one next in the chain when there are customer problems, unfortunately.

This SC had the face (you all must know it) that said she'd be trouble. She comes up with these socks - the last pair left - and complains that she wants the socks, but that there's a smudge on them. I look at the socks, and there's this tiny, barely visible gray smudge that will probably wash out, but in the interests of customer service, I tell the woman I'll give her our senior citizens discount on the socks (10% - and she was obviously not a senior citizen) and tell my CW to ring up the socks at 10% off. The SC lifts up her nose, sighs, and says "fine."

Then SC brings up her whole purchase to the register later, and after my CW rings up the whole purchase, pulls out a ziploc bag full of coupons.

Now, our store has a crappy coupon policy - I am the first to admit it, and adamantly hate it myself. But being a lowly key holder, I have no say in the matter. The basic policy is NO COMBINING COUPONS/DISCOUNTS EVER! And sorry to shout, but the policy is angrily adamant to warrant the caps. Every one of the coupons people come to our store with has fine print on the back that we can point to, but that doesn't mean that people read them/don't get angry about it (and I usually don't blame them).

First off, though most of you probably know this, don't pull out coupons at the end of a transaction, ever. Show your cards at the beginning, so we can figure out the easiest way to use as many of them as possible and ring them up easily. But I digress.

We tell the woman we can't combine coupons. She's pissed. We point out the print on the backs of the coupons that says they can't be combined with other offers. She still wants to insist on using them all at once, after I offer to rering her purchase under different transactions. (At this point I take over for my CW, who goes to another register to ring, because it's Xmas shopping season and we're busy).

I repeat that I have no power to override company policy, and we'll just ring things up separately. At this point she's still pissed, but huffs out a "whatever" and throws her coupons onto the counter. And at this point, I hate her and want to get her purchase over with as soon as possible. (Christmas season makes me angry underneath my Thank-You-Come-Again smile).

And then the most ridiculous part of the whole exchange - I explain that I can't combine discounts, so I'm taking off the 10% coupon off of her slightly smudged socks, since she'll save much more money with one of her other coupons.

Apparently, this was the woman's last straw. She goes off about our store, its awful customer service (as angry as I was, I swear my CW and I were as polite and nice as possible), its misleading coupons, I'm a loyal customer who's never shopping here ever again, I should report you to the BBB.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry, but I really can't take the discount in addition to a coupon, or I am going to be written up for it."

"This is ridiculous! Those socks are damaged - there's no way I'm paying full price for damaged product!"

"...Well, this coupon will take 20% off of them..."

"Nevermind - put the socks back! I'm not paying that much for them!"

Later in the day, I take out a calculator and check my math on how much more she would have saved on the socks with that 10% - that extra 10% on one item that was the difference between her buying the socks and flipping out on me.

Eight cents. That's right - the lady flipped out on me and refused to buy her slightly smudged socks over 8 cents. Those 8 cents were the last straw.

My CW uses it as an example of how Christmas shopping stress turns people into monsters. If 8 cents is all it takes for you to flip your lid, though, I wonder if you need to get some priorities in order.

I've got you beat. I've got people complaining over one cent.

One cent.

1¢.

A penny.

An amount so minuscule there's debate over whether or not we should continue minting the damn coin.

See, we used to run "buy one get one free" sales. At least for the moment, these have been phased out in favor of "buy one get one for a penny" sales.

And people honestly complain about this. "Didn't this used to be buy one get one free? You people won't be happy until you've broken me. Why is it buy one get one for a penny now?"

Because, much like almost everybody else in town, including the mentally-challenged guy who went barreling into the women's restroom (true story), we're smarter than you. We don't need to give stuff away free when we can get plenty of people in and buying it for a penny, and over time and across all our stores, those pennies start to add up.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Raps will probably remember this one - back in the "bad old days" of British Rail, there was this wonderful thing called a Family Railcard.

Essentially, if you had at least one adult, one child, and that railcard travelling together, the adult got a third off the fare and the child went for £1. This applied up to some limiting number of adults and children, but even an exceptionally large family could travel very cheaply by simply sending both parents along, each with a railcard.

For short journeys, the child fares could actually (at that time) be cheap enough already (at half the adult fare) that £1 was actually a poor deal. In those cases, the ticket computer - and it *was* a computer, with magnetic bubble memory no less - would notice this and, if appropriate, issue the lower fare that applied without the railcard.

I'm sure there were some people who occasionally complained about this...

Comment

Back in my grocery store days, I remember a guy complaining for a good 15 minutes or so about paying 21 cents for an onion. He kind of looked like Ross Perot too.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          "You people won't be happy until you've broken me."
          Sorry, but I laughed at this - the quote's made all the more ironic by the fact that *that* exact thought would be running through my head after the 50th person complained about losing their penny.

Comment

re: BOGO-1c: Laws vary by area, of course -- but it's my understanding that free items get taxed differently from items with a cost, no matter how small. In theory, a state/city might want tax paid on a free item based on its original value -- but, if it's 1c, it's taxed based on a value of 1c ...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              "You people won't be happy until you've broken me."
              Not true.

We won't be happy until we've broken you body, mind, and spirit, with your bones scattered across the plains, your blood splattered through the forests, and your soul shattered to the furthest corners of Hell itself.

Now....what was it you were saying about that penny?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Mainly off topic but including an instance of frightening cheapness on my father's part :

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                Raps will probably remember this one - back in the "bad old days" of British Rail, there was this wonderful thing called a Family Railcard.
                There still is.

It's now called the Family and Friends Railcard. My father had one, I think I was actually the second adult on his at one point.

It lead to arguing everytime we got a train. I track all the deals and could generally work things out cheaper without it. He did quite well on trips without me because he travelled further and at shorter notice but was always despondent when I beat his deal when we all travelled together.

Mind you he was quite convinced that he didn't have to buy my sister train tickets at all

I think the cut off is 5, and she was travelling free for a couple of years after that. Because she's small for her age no one ever questioned him. It got to a point where I took her somewhere and she was 9 years old, he swore I didn't have to pay and when I checked and I did she was actually offering to pretend to be 5. The price of the ticket - 80p ! I told her I was very happy to pay that to prevent her having to pretend to be half her age. That's just embarrassing at her age - she already gets upset by fairground rides because children much younger can go on rides she can't). Poor thing was really tense and worried about costing the money too.

Victoria J.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                  Raps will probably remember this one
                  I rarely ever use the train - sorry.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    We won't be happy until we've broken you body, mind, and spirit, with your bones scattered across the plains, your blood splattered through the forests, and your soul shattered to the furthest corners of Hell itself.
                    May I use this as a Facebook status?

(One of my cop friends seems to think that I smoke crack, based on comments he's made on other borrowed statuses [stati?] from here.)
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth MallDrone View Post

. . . I'm a loyal customer who's never shopping here ever again. . .
                      Give her a few days or weeks and she will be back. I hear that from time to time from SC's and then they realize what they are potentially missing out on like sales/promos/deals/our lower prices/rewards points/ability to use their store credit line and so on. I always hope they never come back when they say that but they do
                      "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post

(One of my cop friends seems to think that I smoke crack, based on comments he's made on other borrowed statuses [stati?] from here.)
                        Only crack? That's a little mundane for what we come up with, isn't it?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Pretty much what I was thinking, dale. I'm thinking that we should be insulted. After all our hard work, too!
                          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                            Pretty much what I was thinking, dale. I'm thinking that we should be insulted. After all our hard work, too!
                            You know, I didn't think of that.

It's not good for a cop to publicly admit to knowing someone who's on drugs, though. I think...but then, he *is* a cop somewhere in NJ, and maybe that makes things different.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                              Knock yourself out. Just one of my (viciously hateful) throwaway lines.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X