This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to stop selling parts to toddlers

2 weeks ago, I get a random box with a random part with no information about who sent it and why. After digging (and it was a mighty dig), I figure out that it's a part that was bought 3 months ago.

We have a 7 day return policy (starts when you get the part). I'm rather lenient about it, too- if you ask to return something past that time frame, I'll probably let you if it hasn't been too long. But, the key concept here is communication- you need to talk to me. Throwing it in a box and sending it to me poorly wrapped with a totally different name on the return label 3 months after you bought it is the epitome of not communicating with me.

So I send off an email. A very polite, clear and to the point email that explained that due to the amount of time that passed, I couldn't issue them a refund and offered to ship the part back to them. I also included the shop phone.

Cut to today. This guy calls me pitching a fit that I'm not refunding him.

Me: I'm sorry, but I can't give you a refund on that part; it's been more than 3 months which exceeds the amount of time I can issue refunds.

Him: But WHY?

Me: Because we have a 7 day return policy

Him: Whyyyy?? I don't neeeeeeed it!

Me: I'm really sorry about that, but if you had contacted me even a month ago, I might have been able to help you. At this point, I can't even get into the old order.

Him: WHYYYYYY??? Can't you just write me a check??

(Well, sure- let me just cut that for you.)

Me: I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do. Would you like me to send you the part back? It's yours, after all.

Him: If you can send the part back, then can you just send me a part I need?

(Oh, hey- a request that's not totally bats**t crazy. You know what, FINE. It will cost me the same and will make the guy happy.)

Me: Here's what I will do. I will give you a credit of the part minus a restocking fee. If there's a part we have that you need for that price, I will send it to you.

Him: Do you have this? *part number*

Me: *checking* No, I don't

(rinse and repeat 3 times- it's an odd TV that there's not a lot of parts support for.)

Him: But WHYYYYYY?? I neeeeeeeeeeeeed those parts! Can't you just refund me??

(insert small circular conversation with enough "why's" to annoy a 3-year-old)

*sigh*

Eventually, I got him off the phone (without a refund OR him asking for "my manager," which honestly gave him some brownie points). But GOOD. EFFING. GRAVY.
    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Might of been worse if came, nothing like seeing a grown man pounding there fist on the floor throwing a tantrum.
    Tell me, "Who lit the fuse on your Tampon?"

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
      But GOOD. EFFING. GRAVY.
      Indeed! I guess he thought if he annoyed you enough, you'd eventually just give him the refund. Heh.
      "Imagine that. Human souls, trapped like flies in the World Wide Web, stuck forever, crying out for help."-The Doctor
      "Isn't that basically Twitter?"-Clara

Comment

Quoth BamaBabe View Post
        Indeed! I guess he thought if he annoyed you enough, you'd eventually just give him the refund. Heh.
        I actually didn't get that from him, just that he wasn't the sharpest knife in the Crayon box. :P
        "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
          Him: If you can send the part back, then can you just send me a part I need?

Me: Here's what I will do. I will send you the part that you need, and bill you for it. I'll throw in your broken part and not charge you separately for shipping it back to you.
          Fixed that for you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

I have found that most places have a policy on RMA's that effectively reads: "If you send us a returned item that lacks proper identifying info and/or isn't marked with an RMA code, you just sent us a gift. Thanks!"

You went far above and beyond the call of duty by so much as figuring out who it had belonged to in the first place. Kudos!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X