This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Cashy, No Splashy

So I suppose I will just bombard you with posts but you won't mind, right?

At the Company O' Water, we have a process called a lockout, in which we stop delivery when we have not received a payment within a certain number of days. Similar to...well, every company on the planet that hopes to turn a profit. So I received a call from a man wondering where his delivery was. I pulled up his account and noticed the past due status, and explained what had happened. Compared to 90% of my customers, he was extremely calm. He just asked how much was past due and if we could take a check over the phone. I processed the payment, and gave him a confirmation.

It was so EASY! So...

...here comes the suck.

I asked him if he would like me to schedule a delivery of water for him for the next day. The delivery drivers use a computer that basically uploads only at the end of the day, so the "lock" on his delivery won't clear until this evening when we do the upload for tommorow's day. So company policy is we will deliver within one business day of the payment. That aside anyway, we don't guarantee same-day deliveries. His response?

"Schedule? What do you mean schedule?"

Me: "Um...I can schedule a delivery for you for tommorow, if-"

Customer: "You will get me a delivery today! There's no scheduling anything!"

I was pretty bewildered at the sudden change in attitude so I probably stuttered a bit. "Um...well, sir, I can't guarantee-"

Customer: "Let me tell you something. I need water today, I will get water today. And let me tell you something else: From now on, you need to realize that water is a basic necessity. You can't just cut it off whenever you feel like it. You have a responsibility."

Me: "Um...sir.."

Customer: "I am embarrased for you, that you spoke to me like this. You need to tell your boss what I said. Water is a necessity. It's necessary for life. Are you going to tell him?"

Me: "I...will tell HER, sure."

Customer: "I will be calling back to make sure you did. I'll see you this morning with my water." And he hung up.

As an aside though, when I called the local manager to see if the delivery was possible-yes I did go the extra mile anyway, even though I did NOT want to-he became my hero. "Water is a necessity? Well hey, so are food and shelter, so I guess free houses and groceries for all, right?"

He doesn't have a tap????? Or a store that he can quickly pop out to a grab a few gallon bottles? I mean WOW...
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Did he get the water that day? Going the extra mile for SCs only guarantees that they'll keep being SCs and do that same crap over and over and over...
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

ugh.

I could insert a massive rant over this, but really, it's been done:
        Lack of planing on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

If your tap water is undrinkable (I pity you people out side of NYC). Boil the water if you have to, buy a filter if you want to, or you know, PAY YOUR BILLS!

Now pardon me as I go back to drinking this lovely water cooler water (the water here on campus is fairly undrinkable).

Comment

I hope he didn't get it that day, just because it's a necessity doesn't mean he should get it for free or be particular if he expects it for free. There are many other options for him from buying something from a store/vending machine, to using something they have, to drinking tap water, but I'm pretty sure he isn't going to die of thirst anytime soon.

Comment

Sadly...very, very sadly, he did get it. He was a commercial account with several locations that awesome manager didn't want to lose. And my company labors under the impression that all customers are good customers so if I had been monitored not trying to for that, they would have wanted to know wh- though I would think it would be obvious.

Comment

It is a necessity that you pay your bills.

Comment

Really. You'd think if something is the difference between, you know, LIFE AND FREAKING DEATH, it would be the guy's top priority to make sure that his bill was paid.

He wants you to care more about his well being than he cares himself, evidently.

Water in my neighborhood is pretty much undrinkable, too, so I make damn sure I don't run out. If I DO happen to run out, I make a nice little trip out to my neighborhood grocery and PICK SOME AQUAFINA UP to tide me over till I can get back to the other side of town and my mom's well. Neither the planning or the grocery run is all that difficult.
                Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 03-03-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Water may be a necessity of life however the delivery method frequently is not and requires payment to continue. You want free water go put a rain barrel out. However even for that you either have to pay for the barrel or spend the time and materials to construct it.
                  Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
                    Customer: "I am embarrased for you, that you spoke to me like this. You need to tell your boss what I said. Water is a necessity. It's necessary for life. Are you going to tell him?"

You got one of VRS's customers!

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

Faucet?

And what the HELL is with these customers of yours? If they were just any Joe off the street, I could understand somewhat, even though I still find the behavior and sense of entitlement deplorable. But your stories all involve businesspeople. Holy ravioli Batman!
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                        But your stories all involve businesspeople.
                        Leona Helmsley was a businessperson--a rather successful one. She was also well known for being absolutely horrible to anyone she interacted with.

SCs can come in any shape, size, or economic strata.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Clothing is a necessity, I guess I better call up Louis Vuitton and Valentino and pitch and bitch about not being able to afford their clothes.

Oh, this should be interesting.....a month from now, the electric companies will start shutting off delinquent customers (thanks to living in this mini Antarctic area, in the winter months, your electricity cannot be shut off even if you're way behind in payments), and I can't wait to hear from my friends and their stories.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            Leona Helmsley was a businessperson--a rather successful one. She was also well known for being absolutely horrible to anyone she interacted with.
                            Not for nothing that she was called the queen of mean...to top it off she left her fortune to her dog while her human relatives each got a boot to the head.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                              He doesn't have a tap????? Or a store that he can quickly pop out to a grab a few gallon bottles? I mean WOW...
                              That was my thought exactly. He's acting like you all are the only source of water for him. And, if he doesn't have a nearby store or even a tap in his house, let him go find a lake or a ditch.

Comment

Working...
                              X