This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you even listening?

I forgot the exact context, but this is essentially what happened between me, Deaf Caller, and Sucky Person at some point in the middle of a call:

DC: ... can you do that for me? GA
    SP: Tell him that I will.
    Me: Sir, please speak directly to the caller. (as per standard procedure in which the relay operator is not part of the conversation and has to type exactly what they hear)
    SP: Yes. So can you tell him that I will do what he asked?
    Me: Sir. As I told you, you need to speak directly to the caller. Do not talk to me unless you need more information about the relay procedure.
    SP: I am talking to him! Tell him that I will do what he asked!!!
    (at that point I just accepted I wasn't going to get through to him, and rephrased whatever he said, and the rest of the call went pretty well.)

And, as you may have guessed, there was no mention at any time in the call of another person, so SP was telling me to tell DC that SP would do it - not telling DC to tell the other person that SP would do it.

I almost forgot - my anger goes out to all the voice carry-over users (hearing impaired, able to speak) who don't bother to type the standard "VCO PLS GA" which lets me know I must activate that function so I can hear them, and instead, immediately start speaking. What happens then is that I'll see the modem light flashing, activate VCO, and they're usually already saying the last 4 digits by the time I can hear them. So I have to ask them to repeat the number, which most of the time, gets them at least slightly irritated if not angry at me through no fault of my own.

Also irritating are the users who do not realize (despite me clearly stating it when relevant) that they're on an automated system, and simply need to tell me the number of the option they want to select. Cue wall-of-text explaining the problem in detail, after which the system has usually disconnected or transferred the call to the on-hold queue because of the delayed response.

That's about it for now, though I'm sure other frustrations will soon hit the level where I have to write a post or go crazy.
    Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Typically when using a translator I save speaking directly to the translator either for setting up the call, thanking them for their services, or for when I need to detail instructions that are time sensitive and will never be done if done fully through the translator. Basically I tell the translator what needs to be done then have them walk the customer through it before equipment times out.
    Bark like a chicken!

Comment

What SP did is extremely rude, especially in person. Whether it's someone who is hearing impaired or a language barrier, you speak DIRECTLY to the person, not the go-between. He needs to learn some bloody manners.

Comment

Working...
      X