This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Shelter Fundraising Suck

I volunteer at the animal shelter, and one of our biggest fundraisers is a 5k that is being held this weekend. To reduce lines at the event, you can come by and pick up your stuff at the shelter beforehand. I helped with that today.

Waiting In Line

Yes, I know you are a very busy person. I heard you the first three times you said that. I know that it is frustrating to wait behind a person picking up stuff for their team of 10. But you lose all right to complain about that person when you are picking up stuff for your team of 20.

We're A Non-Profit Holding A Fundraiser, So Yes, We Are Trying To Make Money

You can register for the race for $10 but need to donate $25 to get a snazzy T-shirt. This is explained on the website you had to use to register.
    I upsold everyone who came through the line who hadn't donated enough for the shirt--"I see you've donated $10. Would you like to donate $15 more to get the shirt?" The wrong answer to this is "Stop trying to nickle and dime me!" (Saying "No" is not a wrong answer.)

Your team needs to raise $25 for EACH t-shirt you want. So, if you and your three best friends are on a team and raised $75, you only get 3 shirts. The wrong answer to me explaining this to you is "God, stop trying to make this all about money."

We Don't Care How Fast You Walk

Part of tomorrow is a competitive run, and part is noncompetitive walking. Runners get numbers; walkers don't. We had a stack of numbers on the table and I really didn't mind explaining that only runners get numbers. I did mind spending 20 minutes explaining to one lady that while I was perfectly happy to give her a number (we had extras), she only needed it if she wanted a recorded time for the 5K. This was especially annoying since she wasn't even walking the 5K, she was only walking 1K (the most common event, since people bring their pets and dress up in costumes for it).

A funny/sweet bit--one of the staff members came by to get her swag. The amount she raised was $100 short of the GRAND ULTIMATE SUPER PRIZE of a behind the scenes tour of the shelter. She was very funny and said she was "just heartbroken" that she wouldn't be getting that prize. The person standing behind her thought the staff member was serious and offered to donate to get the staffer to her goal.

"God, stop trying to make this all about money." Um...isn't money what a fundraiser is about? Wow. Y'know, I've watched the animal shelter in this area struggling for years to raise money ,and just be able last year to build a new shelter. I've seen how hard it is. It really hurts that people are that ignorant!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Everything is about the money. Everything.

Comment

Stop...trying to make a FUNDRAISER...about money?

Unclear on the concept, to put it mildly. Did they think the whole event was being put on for their personal enjoyment and nothing else? Oh...wait...yes they did.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
        X