This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He left us, but we are still responsible for his loss of business

Part of my job is dealing with toll free service numbers for places of business. For anyone out there that has wondered, toll free numbers are a very interesting thing, and it's amazing how they work, whether they ring to a customer's direct line, or on one of their internet/voice circuits.

With that said, this is a scenario I dealt with this week. This credit solutions company decided there weeks ago that they wanted all of their toll frees, thirteen in all (lucky number), moved away from our company and onto a new one. Paperwork is required when this happens, which I received three weeks ago. After all was legitimate, I agreed to release these toll frees to the new company. When these are released, they still normally stay on the carrier we have them routed on for at least two weeks, normally out of company courtesy. Then after this amount of time, we go into the routing carrier and disconnect them, because by now, the new company should have them routed to them. However, other companies out there can disconnect in the same day. This is also something we can do, but do not due to again, courtesy, which we do not have to provide after a customer leaves us.

Well, I actually gave it three weeks due to other things I had to get done. I went ahead and disconnected the numbers and within thirty minutes, the customer actually called us, wanting to know why his numbers were not working. It went something like this:

Me: Do you recall sending in legitimate paperwork to move your numbers away from us?

SC: Yes, and AT&T was taking over those numbers.

Me: Yes, sir, which we released over to them three weeks ago. After a certain amount of time, we disconnect them because of enough time passing for the new carrier to activate them on their end.

SC: They aren't supposed to do that until March 11! I'm losing business! (I hate this line because it always works for the SC)

Me: Sir, the paperwork you sent did not indicate that. If we get the paperwork, it is our duty to respond quickly since you wanted the numbers removed from us.

SC: I need those numbers reconnected now. You all should have checked on this first before disconnecting them. (Stop right here. No customer ever likes to be called on this, because if they sent in the paperwork, with their own signature, mind you, then in their mind, this is enough to not warrant a phone call to them).

Me: I'm sorry, but you should be contacting AT&T. These numbers are not ours any longer, and you sent legitimate paperwork that you wanted them released. We also have notes on the account about your questioning of the procedure on how to do this prior.

SC: AT&T can't connect them now. My new circuit won't be ready until March 11.

To end this long story, I actually agreed to reconnect the toll frees after speaking to one of our sales managers. It perturbed me a little, although the bright side of it is we still get to bill this bastard for the usage. However, I also have to follow up with this guy on March 11 to be sure his new circuit gets connected properly. I did tell him though, very sternly, that this is not normal procedure, and that it is not up to his old company to make sure his new company's lines work correctly, not to mention the courtesy we gave him and are still giving to him.

Why should I have to go through all of this with a customer who wants to ditch us? I hate upper management decisions. A customer is always right, even one who decides to teach their old company a lesson by leaving, but then holds them responsible for the aftermath of what their new company is doing.

I wish I could find a job out there that deals with no customers. Anyone know of one?

Ugh, what a royal PITA!

Quoth greensinestro View Post
    I wish I could find a job out there that deals with no customers. Anyone know of one?
    If such a thing exists, I'll let you know...and I'll be going there too!
    Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

Yep, mine, but you might not want it, i drive around delivering magazines, and providing related services to them. At this point i'm 2+ weeks without a day off, and prolly looking at 2 more months before i get a break.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Unloading Trucks at some retail stores have you dealing with no customers.

Since the unloaders at my store occasionally deal with them as they are pulling freight to the store, Star-Mart is not one of them.

Comment

Mine. But working for an office full of Ph.D's and engineers isn't everyone's cup of tea. My co-workers deal with the firm's clients. I have to deal with THEM, and they don't like to admit they don't know how to do something, even when the thing they don't know how to do just happens to be MY job and I'd be more than happy to do it for them if they'd just ASK.

Scary thing? Much as I love my job, there are days when I really miss working on the returns counter at Wal-Mart. Then I remember Saturday afternoons during blisteringly hot and humid summer days and the customers I actually got there, and I get over it.
          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Rantsylvania 6-5000 View Post
            Ugh, what a royal PITA!

If such a thing exists, I'll let you know...and I'll be going there too!
            If manufacturing weren't so in the hole right now I'd suggest a factory job. Can be decent paying AND customer free if you can get one.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Mine as well, however some of the bosses can be just as bad. Egos abound.

Comment

...the bright side of it is we still get to bill this bastard for the usage.
                I hope you have some method of recourse against this guy, he seems like the sort to stiff you on the final bill.

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have a job like that, although sometimes they computer pisses me off just as much as any customer ever did. Then again, I can say "fuck you" to the computer, and I don't have it worry about it complaining to my manager.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                  X