This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Lady Tries to get Me Arrested

It’s been over fifteen years since I worked in customer service and I can’t say I miss it. Luckily the really sucky customers are burned into my brain so I can add a few stories to the site.

I’ll call this person CL for Check Lady.

It was a warm summer day and everything was right with the world. I was manning the photo register at Walgreen’s; taking photo orders, putting out new stock and occasionally ringing up customers when main and second register had lines. CL comes up to me and asks if I can ring her out. No problem, that’s one of the things they pay me for!

I ring up CL’s items and give her the total. She takes out a checkbook and states she will be paying with a check.

Me: No problem Ma’am. I just need to see a valid photo ID.
    CL: WHAT! It is ILLEGAL for you to even ASK to see my ID!
    Me: (smile, smile…it’s actually a genuine smile. Annoying people rarely bothered me and mostly amused me) I am sorry Ma’am but it is company policy that in order for me to accept a check I need to see a valid photo ID.
    CL: IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR YOU TO ASK FOR MY ID! YOU WILL NOT SEE MY ID AND YOU WILL TAKE THIS CHECK! (now everyone within earshot, and I think that includes most of the surrounding county, is staring at us. I even see my manager hiding behind some shelves diligently trying to pretend he doesn’t know there is a problem).
    Me: I do apologize Ma’am and you certainly do not have to show me an ID but…
    CL: (interrupts with a look of triumph) THAT’S BETTER!
    Me: (continues) …I can not accept a check. You may also pay for your purchases with cash or a major credit card (this was before debit cards kids).

(insert several minutes of useless high volume back and forth with me repeating myself and her throwing around “ILLEGAL” a lot. A whole lot. I will give her this, as ear piercingly loud as she was she never actually used a cuss word)

CL: FINE! (backs away from counter leaving unpaid for items) I AM GOING TO THE POLICE STATION! I AM COMING BACK HERE WITH AN OFFICER AND HE IS GOING TO TAKE YOU FROM BEHIND THAT COUNTER, PUT YOU IN HANDCUFFS AND TAKE YOU TO JAIL!

And with that she flounces. Our store was just down the street from the police station. I have honestly always hoped that she did actually go down there to try and get me arrested. Hey, cops deserve a laugh now and again just like everyone else.
    You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

I imagine other conversations she has had:

CL: IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR YOU TO NOT GIVE ME EXTRA MUSTARD FOR MY HOTDOG!!!

CL: IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR YOU TO NOT LET ME BRING MY DOG INTO THIS CHINA SHOP!!!

CL: IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR YOU TO NOT LET MY 3RD COUSIN ON MY MOTHER'S SIDE USE MY CREDIT CARD!!!!

etc.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

What the hell Tiger Blood do people drink to come up with these "laws" of theirs?
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
        What the hell Tiger Blood do people drink to come up with these "laws" of theirs?
        Come on , Blas. You know the law requires us to bend to a SC's every whim [EXTREME SARCASM!!!].
        Seriously, though this one sounds like a scammer. I'll give you odds that the reason for ID refusal was b/c she's been bouncing checks like basketballs.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

You know, someday I want to be one of those people behind someone who screams it's against the law for something (when everyone knows it isn't) and say something like "Oh is it? Do you have a copy of the law or know the ordinance number?" as I whip out my internet enabled phone and check.

I guess I'm not that lucky.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I believe that disorderly conduct and being a public nuissance really are illegal. I would have offered to call the police regarding a disruptive customer, and saved her the effort of going to the police station to make a complaint.
            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Many, many (most?) people are not clear on the fact that something that is not required by law is not automatically "illegal."
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Count me among those who really hopes this lady went to the police with her accusations. That would've been funny.

Welcome to the boards, and love the username!
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  Welcome to the boards, and love the username!
                  Thanks! I just watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang again recently and I decided that the next time I joined a forum I would use Caractacus as my username.
                  You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Many, many (most?) people are not clear on the fact that something that is not required by law is not automatically "illegal."
                    Actually, in all honesty, this is probably where the notion of "things I don't like = illegal" really does come from.

There's no law saying that "A" is mandatory (where A can be anything from requiring a signature to only accepting cash or credit as payment)

Therefore, I don't HAVE to do "A"

Therefore, refusing to serve me unless I do "A" is a backdoor way of making "A" mandatory in spite of no law saying so!

Therefore, you're FORCING me to do something! Something I don't want to! It's just the same as putting a gun in my face and FORCING me to give you money! So it's the same as THEFT and ROBBERY, just without the gun! THIS IS ILLEGAL!
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

"All that is not mandatory is forbidden."
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

To the lady: Please leave. Now that we don't want you here, you are trespassing, which is against the law. So ya better hustle!
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

If she indeed did go to the Police Station, the men in the white coats would have taken her out of there in a straightjacket long before the Cops would have come to the Store and taken Caractacus out in handcuffs!

Mike
                          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                            I imagine other conversations she has had:

CL: IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR YOU TO NOT GIVE ME EXTRA MUSTARD FOR MY HOTDOG!!!

CL: IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR YOU TO NOT LET ME BRING MY DOG INTO THIS CHINA SHOP!!!

CL: IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR YOU TO NOT LET MY 3RD COUSIN ON MY MOTHER'S SIDE USE MY CREDIT CARD!!!!

etc.
                            Here I'm thinking about the woman who called 911 because the Burger King screwed up her burger.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Argabarga,

That logic there makes my brain hurt. You owe me an aspiring.
                              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                              X