Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want a discount even though I don't have dscount cards! (Looong!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a discount even though I don't have dscount cards! (Looong!)

Hi all!

This is my official post in this forum!

Little backstory, I used to work in an art store. Its sort of popular here in Canada, well Ontario, really. I worked there for roughly 3 years. 2 years in retail behind the register and 1 at their head office placing orders.

This store is famous (well to artists, really) for having discount cards, student discounts, discounts for art club members, senior discounts and massive weekend specials. Yea, I know. Most, if not all, stores have all this. But come on! Art supplies are damn pricy!

On to the story!

Gimme a Discount! But I don't have the discount cards!

Me=
    SM= Store Manager
    SC= Who else!

Like any other store, when at the cashier, if you want the discount....YOU NEED TO HAVE THE CARD!

As I am head cashier, I am at the register, waiting for the customers. This very rotund woman, wearing a shirt that is way too small and way too tight, comes up and plunks her basket full of goodies on my counter.

Me: "Hello! Did you find everything you need?"
    SC: 'Ignores me' "Just give me all the discounts you can!"
    Me: Ok! Do you have an 'awesome 15% off card'?
    SC: No.
    Me: Do you have an 'awesome 20% discount card?'
    Me: Are you a student? (she didn't look it, but lots of older people around here take art classes at the colleges/Universities)
    SC: NO (Getting annoyed at me)
    Me: Are you part of an art club?
    SC: NO!
    Me: Are you a senior? (They got a discount for showing proof.)
    SC: NO!!!!!
    Me:......
    SC:......
    SC: JUST GIVE ME THE DISCOUNTS!!!!!
    Me: I am sorry, M'am, but I can't unless you are one of the things mentioned and have a valid ID card to show.
    SC: BUT <insert ex coworker's name> gives me discounts ALLLLLL the TIIIIMMMME!
    Me: Well, I am sorry, but not only does <ex coworker> no longer work here, but without ID or the mentioned discount cards, I cannot give you a discount.
    SC....YOU must be new! I come in here ALLLL the TIME and I ALWAYS get a discount! Where's your manager?
    Me: I didn't say this, but found it funny how: 1. she 'came in all the time' yet didn't recognize my manager who was standing with me throughout this whole transaction. 2. At that point, I had worked there FULL TIME for 1 1/2 years and had never seen her in my life! And by the way she looked, she is someone I WOULD remember!
    Anyways, back to the story:
    M: 'Faces lady.' Is there an issue?
    SC: YES! I want a discount, but she wont give me one!
    M: Well, do you have any of the discount cards or hold any student ID or art club memberships as she mentioned?
    SC: .....NO.......
    M: Well, we cannot give you a discount then.
    SC: But <ex coworker> knows me and gives me discounts all the time!
    M: Well <ex coworker> no longer works here and it is against policy to give discounts without showing proof!
    SC: FINE! 'Slams down basket and stomps out door.'
    Manager and me=1
    SC=0

Sorry for the long post! Hope you enjoyed!

ExArtShopSlave

another discount whore foiled, with the expected tantrum post denial.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth ExArtShopSlave View Post
      M: Well <ex coworker> no longer works here and it is against policy to give discounts without showing proof!
      Gee, I wonder if the two facts might be related...
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
        Gee, I wonder if the two facts might be related...
        Just once I want to see...

M: Oh, so you are the one. We fired him for that.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Just once I want to see...

M: Oh, so you are the one. We fired him for that. Oh yes, by the way, the police would like a word with you...
          Fixed/expanded for my amusement
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ex-coworker was afraid of you. I am not.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Me: Ok! Do you have an 'awesome 15% off card'?
              Me: Do you have an 'awesome 20% discount card?'
              Me: Are you a student? (she didn't look it, but lots of older people around here take art classes at the colleges/Universities)
              SC: NO (Getting annoyed at me)
              Me: Are you part of an art club?
              SC: NO!
              Me: Are you a senior? (They got a discount for showing proof.)
              SC: NO!!!!!
              Me:......
              SC:......
              Me: No.
              Sorry, just how I was envisioning the exchange by this point.
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Me: I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.

(No, that never gets old. Ever.)

SC: YES! I want a discount, but she wont give me one!
                M: Well, I want a blow job from Anna Paquin, but that's not happening either.

Sorry for the long post!
                Heh....you think this was a long post.

Quoth csquared View Post
                M: Oh, so you are the one. We fired him for that.
                Amusingly, an ex-coworker of mine (who I do like) used to give away a lot of drinks, not necessarily (translation: not) putting them all on the comp tab as we're supposed to. Eventually, he was caught doing this, and was let go by the bar. Several of his regulars were shocked the next time they came in and got their bill after drinking for a while. "Wow! Our check was never this high when Santana was working here!" My coworker who served them: "That's why Santana no longer works here."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Ah...this brings back memories. I was actually asked for a discount on gas once (I think half jokingly but whatever) and my only reply was to laugh and inform the guy that I don't even get a discount on it, and I work at the C-store! Some people are SO entitled that it's sickening!
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Had some people come in the other day and ask what drink specials we had.

JESTER: At the moment, none. Happy hour will kick off at four.
                    THEM: Well, there's a bar down the street doing two dollar drafts.
                    JESTER: I'm sure there is.
                    THEM: So you're not going to do that?
                    JESTER: Nope.
                    THEM: Why not?
                    JESTER: Because I like my job, and I'd like to keep it.

Another group a couple weeks ago was from Canada. The two guys were fine, but the two women were, how shall I put this, verbosely inclined.

CANADIAN CHATTERBOXES: In Canada, these are much cheaper.
                    JESTER: True. But you're in Key West.
                    CC'S: In Canada, we haggle.
                    JESTER: (points out the window) See that out there? The palm trees and such?
                    CC'S: Yes....?
                    JESTER: That should be your first hint that this ain't Canada!
                    CC'S:
                    CC'S HUSBANDS:

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Another group a couple weeks ago was from Canada. The two guys were fine, but the two women were, how shall I put this, verbosely inclined.

CANADIAN CHATTERBOXES: In Canada, these are much cheaper.
                      JESTER: True. But you're in Key West.
                      CC'S: In Canada, we haggle.
                      JESTER: (points out the window) See that out there? The palm trees and such?
                      CC'S: Yes....?
                      JESTER: That should be your first hint that this ain't Canada!
                      CC'S:
                      CC'S HUSBANDS:
                      LOL! Not all Canadian women are like those two! Its annoying when people vacation in other countries and complain about things such as prices on drinks, food etc. They're on a vacation! Have a good time! If ya don't like it, go home!

LOL!
                      ExArtShopSlave
                      Last edited by ExArtShopSlave; 03-21-2011, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                        Ah...this brings back memories. I was actually asked for a discount on gas once (I think half jokingly but whatever) and my only reply was to laugh and inform the guy that I don't even get a discount on it, and I work at the C-store! Some people are SO entitled that it's sickening!
                        yeah when I worled for the gas station, half of the customer assumed I got a employee discount. according to the complany rules we did not get a discount on anything nor did we "officially" get anything for free. we all paid the same exact price (gas included) as marked on the shelves/price stickers.

the same thing happens at my pizza place occasionally. the company stopped giving us lowly employees a 15% discount on personal orders off the clock more than 3 years ago. evey now and then some dumbass who thinks they are funny will try and cajole us to give the our "employee discount" on an order. I happily inform then we get no such discount and even if we did they would not be using it anyway.
                        Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-13-2011, 07:21 AM.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

"Employee prices are for employees. If you'd like to fill out an application...."

LOL! Not all Canadian women are like those two!
                          Oh, I've dealt with a lot of Canadian women (and men), so I know! But it was still funny!

Still A Customer."

Comment

- Gladly! [types in -20% = eq rising price with 20%] Your total is $x1.20

Comment

Working...
                            X