This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magical Cake Hatred

Ok so this is my first sucky customer story for y'all. I have had several jobs so I have amusing stories from all ends of the retail/customer service spectrum. Today's tale involves being a cake-decorator for a supermarket in Florida.

I hated working at this particular store because the bakery manager was insane and would write me up for the most random things that I could help in no way. This incident is probably the weirdest write-up I ever got from her.

We had a lady come in to order a half-sheet cake for a 90 year old's birthday party. She wanted an edible image of the woman's face on the cake and pink and purple frosting as the other decorations. No problem, easy cake for me, just a pretty border and make sure the edible image prints correctly and is applied neatly. I make the cake about four hours before she is scheduled to pick it up, and then put it in the deli's cooler to stay nice and chilled so the image didn't get soggy. Our bakery department and deli were connected so their cooler was really over in our area and they had extra space at the time, and we did not. I told the evening bakery worker where it was so she could get it out when the lady got there and went home. No problem.

The next day I came in to work and my boss immediately began yelling at me! I was stunned and asked what was wrong. She told me that the lady had come in that day (the next day) to complain that the cake was ugly and she hated it. The store manager gave her a free cake. I was really confused, but went about my business as usual, until I opened the deli cooler and noticed the cake was still in there. At this point I am completely weirded out so I texted the worker from the night before (she was my friend) and asked her what happened. She said the lady never came to pick the cake up. At this point I am furious, and tell my boss that the cake was still there and the lady had never even seen it.

What was her response? She said "Oh the lady must have come by and seen it and decided she didn't want it. You should have made it look better." Then she walked off. I questioned the three people that had worked in the deli/bakery area the night before and none of them had gotten the cake out to show the lady. So the SC saw the cake with her magic x-ray eyes through a steel door and decided it was ugly. And I still got written up for it, even though I took it all the way to the store manager.

What really makes me mad is I managed to make a very creepy looking 90 year old lady's face look good on a cake, and that is how I was treated!
    We ask ourselves when we get in a fix, what would Popeye do in a tight spot like this? He'd race for his true love and easily win it, in an old spinach can with a mast stuck in it. -Jimmy Buffett

Wow. Just. Wow.

I'm certain you're no longer in that job, Captain Jillian. Oh, and welcome to Customers Suck!
    "Imagine that. Human souls, trapped like flies in the World Wide Web, stuck forever, crying out for help."-The Doctor
    "Isn't that basically Twitter?"-Clara

Comment

You are correct, I am no longer at that job. About a month after that incident, and several more bogus write-ups, I sat down at my station and decorated a beautiful cake that said "I Quit." Then I put it on a stand, took off my apron, walked out and was the happiest person around!!!
      We ask ourselves when we get in a fix, what would Popeye do in a tight spot like this? He'd race for his true love and easily win it, in an old spinach can with a mast stuck in it. -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Quoth CaptainJillian View Post
        You are correct, I am no longer at that job. About a month after that incident, and several more bogus write-ups, I sat down at my station and decorated a beautiful cake that said "I Quit." Then I put it on a stand, took off my apron, walked out and was the happiest person around!!!
        Brilliant!!
        "Imagine that. Human souls, trapped like flies in the World Wide Web, stuck forever, crying out for help."-The Doctor
        "Isn't that basically Twitter?"-Clara

Comment

Wow, did your boss have something crawl up her craw or something? I mean, that's psychological torture in my opinion to have to deal with such a douchenozzle, granted this comes from the mouth of someone whose not really worked a day in her life.

I do love the story about how you quit.

Comment

Talk about sucky management. Gotta wonder how long that manager had a job considering free food was given out willy nilly. And trust me that scammers communicate with each other. Scammers probably knew your manager's schedule so they could come in and complain at the right moment for free food.

Oh and dessert decorators are amazing! A local shop recently painted a mini-chocolate portrait for an aquaintance's birthday. Just a couple inches tall and did I mention it was hand-painted in chocolate? Me, I can barely use crayons.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Bravo!
              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Absolutely marvellous!

(Reminded me of a news story, some time ago, in which a woman bought an ice cream dessert, got it home and took it out of the box to defrost it, only to find a very rude word piped across the top of it. That was due to a disgruntled employee at the factory though, not actually directed at her.)
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful. I would've loved to have been there to see that!
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Too bad you didn't add "the boss is an idiot"...

Anyhow, Brilliant!

Comment

I decorated a beautiful cake that said "I Quit." Then I put it on a stand, took off my apron, walked out and was the happiest person around!!!
                      Bravi, Bravi, Bravissimi...^_^ Wonderful.

If you were still there, I would have said that the boss was setting up a bogus paper trail so as to more easily get rid of you at a future date. Probably due to some unknown personal reason/dislike/imagined insult. That or the boss was just a psycho. The SM was just as bad for refusing to believe your side despite the evidence to the contrary.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I would've quit right then and there. I can't wrap my brain around that situation.

Comment

Hee hee, yes!

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                          Talk about sucky management. Gotta wonder how long that manager had a job considering free food was given out willy nilly.
                          Actually I'm wondering if the free cake was even given out, since the woman never showed up to look at the cake, or probably anybody else in her family. The manager could've just made that up. It seems like she had it in for the OP.

On the other hand, they could've gotten a visit from a clever scammer. I dunno.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Pure style!

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Bravi, Bravi, Bravissimi...^_^ Wonderful.

If you were still there, I would have said that the boss was setting up a bogus paper trail so as to more easily get rid of you at a future date. Probably due to some unknown personal reason/dislike/imagined insult. That or the boss was just a psycho. The SM was just as bad for refusing to believe your side despite the evidence to the contrary.
                              This is exactly what she was doing. She wanted them to hire a friend of hers as the decorator. I was a cake/pastry decorator for several companies and while I love to do it for fun now, I probably couldn't ever make it my career again. People like her burnt me out.

Also, a friend of mine worked in the seafood department of the store and he tried to go over and buy the cake I quit with, but she said something nasty to him and slammed it into the trash can. (Which is a shame because the message could easily be scraped off and rewritten, I did it on purpose that way so it didn't ruin the product.)

Comment

Working...
                              X