Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did everyone leave their brains at home?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did everyone leave their brains at home?

Most of the days I work on front end (which is now roughly 2 per week) it's pretty smooth. Yesterday and today on the other hand have just made me want to keep a ball bat behind the counter. . .

Thursday's Shenanigans . . .including

What Did I buy?

Mostly people who, after I've scanned and bagged their items and they are loading up their carts (I got sent to the Express Lane which is 12 items or less) they would become rather glazy-eyed and ask "Is this mine too?"

Uh, dude, did you not keep up with what you pick up through the store while you wandered about like you were lost in the desert? All I can tell you is that that's what you put up here on the belt and that's what got scanned. My mind reading abilities are nonexistant - if I had them, I certainally wouldn't be working here at the Litter Box.

Go Toward The Light . . See The Light . . . Follow the Light

I think I had at least a dozen people come up and see my light on and still ask if I was open. It got to the point where I'd look up and around to check if the light had burned out.

Apparently people think a blinking light means it's closed?

Just Tell The World It's My Birthday . . .

I love Ma to death (she's our Scanning Person) but I could've killed her for getting on the PA to announce to everyone in the store that it was my birthday. She also put a Happy Birthday balloon at my register station . . . and she brought me a 6 pack of cupcakes (nom nom nom)

I think I had at least a dozen people stop by my register (mostly customers and not counting who was coming through to get checked out) to wish me a Happy Birthday . . .

And as I explained to the borrowed Ass Man (we have one helping out temporarily from another store until we can get a replacement for Snoopy) yes, I usually do work that day . . . I like to get all the extra money I can.

From Friday . . .

Tonight was practically a disaster . . . it was almost dead when I went in at 2 to make out and send off my order for Monday, then had to go up front at 5 to work until closing.

It was still dead so I went around checking the store for loose items and returning them to their designated places . . . not much was found and I was done in about 35 or 40 minutes, then got sent to a register. Me and one other cashier were staying until close, the other ones were leaving at 6 and 8.

Count Your Money before you get to the register

One customer came through with a few items, the total coming up to just under $15.00. After he'd ran his EBT card, he still had to pay about 5 something (he didn't have enough on his card to cover all the food and still had to pay for a 24 oz Bud bottle.)

He mutters something about he'd be right back and, wouldn't you know it, he walked right outside to the parking lot. I already had 2 customers waiting behind him and by the time I'd looked around after the next customer had unloaded her cart, I had 4 customers total waiting.

So we end up playing the waiting game . . he finally comes back with 3 more dollars, but still wasn't enough, so he decided to put the beer back.

I go to put the beer away into a small basket of loose items that was behind my counter in the floor when Borrowed Ass Man came walking by and yelled "DGC! What are you doing?"

I stopped, bottle of Bud in midair and "What is it?"

"Are you drinking already?"

"Right now I think I need something. Usually I prefer wine but right now I'll take whatever's handy."

Much laughter all over the line of customers I had as I put the bottle into the basket and started with the next customer. Borrowed Ass Man walks off, cackling away. I like this one . . .he's got a wicked sense of humor.

Do You Know Where Your Children Area and What They Are Doing?

When I went on break around 7:30, we had a gang of tweens/early teens come running through the front of the store then back outside to congregate outside on the sidewalk - completely blocking the path between us and the Dollar Store. They were talking loud and basically being obnoxious pains in the ass.

After 2 cigarettes, even though I still had a few minutes left on my break, I had to go back inside to get away from them. Too bad they didn't mysteriously disappear and the cops come in to ask questions . . .

My Brain is on Otto-Pilot . . .

Sometimes my brain just does its own thing, such as when I was handing a receipt to a female customer and before I could stop myself I said "Here's your receipt, Sir - oops, Ma'am."

Luckily she had a laugh out of that. "It's okay."

"I'm so sorry about that . . . sometimes my brain works on auto and I get my words mixed up."

I Forgot My Bluberry . . .

Had a customer come through the line during the rush we had between 8 and 10 who, after he had taken his purchase and left, had left behind a Bluberry phone.

Next customer in line noticed it on the small counter (which I couldn't see because the keyboard was blocking the view . . it's a bad blind spot) and handed it to me.

I set it down on the register stand beside the printer. Regular guy at the CS desk waiting to cash in his lottery tickets laughed and said "He'll be back soon for that."

"I know I would if it were mine," I replied. "Those phones are expensive to replace."

Within a couple of minutes, the phone starts making music almost nonstop for a few minutes. I figured it might be the owner trying to call it to see where it was, but as it was in the middle of a rush (and I don't know how to even turn one of those Smartphones on) I left it on the counter.

Luckily a short time later, the guy came back. I beckoned him to the register and handed him the Bluberry. He thanked me and, after being reunited with his Bluberry, left for the night. And all was well for the moment . . .

Those Pinpads are not Toys . . .

By 9 we were slammed . . . only me and one other cashier open. No bagger closing (he'd left at 8) and only an office person (who was also running the CS Desk in between office duties) and Opie (our AM) on the floor. No other employees in the store by this time. Lines out the ass, we're trying to keep up as best we can.

What the hell is it with small kids and our pinpads? Do they not have enough to do without coming into the store and banging on our equipment?

Had one mother of the year get upset because I'd spoken loudly to her "precious" about the pinpad at the next register.

Child didn't pay me any mind when I said "Excuse me," so I spoke louder "EXCUSE ME. Please don't play with the pinpad, it's not a toy."

Never mind the fact that her back was turned to the child and she was ignoring it basically . . . she wanted to complain that she didn't like my tone or the look on my face.

My only response to that "I'm sorry you feel that way about it." Rest of the transaction I was cool, but tried to stay professional (even though on the inside I was so mad I could have throttled her.)

Here's a helpful hint: keep your child in sight of you. I'm not a babysitter, so if you don't want me saying anything to your child, do your own damn parenting.

The Pinpad is not a toy . . . Part 2

Not long after I'd had to put up with MOTY 1, I had another customer come through, this time with an older child (I'd say she looked around 8 or 9) who was also attracted to the pinpad at the next register like a moth to a flame.

I was watching the child while I was scanning the mom's purchase through and she turned around to see what her child was doing and promptly told her to stop.

I thanked her and told her "I was afraid to say anything . . I've already had one mother get upset with me tonight."

She seemed more understanding than the first one, thank Goodness. I'd hate to have had to deal with another one.

Go Home Already . . . or go to the Litter Box down the road . . .

By this time, it was 10 minutes till . . . the other cashier made the announcement that we were about the close and the lines were still filling up.

I finally got my line cleared out and quickly emptied my trash can into the big bag we had behind the service desk and was attempting to clean up. Other cashier had a customer in her line and I just let it rip . . .

"I'm ready to go home. I'm tired, it's been crazy in here tonight and I'm tired of other people's FOOLISHNESS."

Customer starts laughing and the other cashier chimed in "She's tired of other people's foolishness."

Then we had another wave hit just after that and I finally shut down the till at 10:03. Had just turned out the light and here came two women . . . what they were doing in there after 10 I don't know, but I sent them over to the other register (Other Cashier hadn't shut down her till yet because she'd seen them come in just as Opie came up at 10 to lock the doors.)

As other cashier hollered out "We just want to go home already."

I hope next week is a bit calmer . . .
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Those Pinpads are not Toys
    Can it be that _child_ lost mobile phone, and the pinpads were a surrogate for a phone?

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
      [B]Go Toward The Light . . See The Light . . . Follow the Light
      Run, light run! There are clueless people chasing you!
      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

I always joke that people took their stupid pills or they released stupid serum in the water supply again.
        Random conversation:
        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

... and I just let it rip . . .
          When i read that part...i first thought "oh Lord, she cut the cheese and there was someone standing there just at that moment" then i read on and i was thankful it wasn't what it first thought.
          I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

... words mixed up...
            ... I read that as "merde waxed up"
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I think "Borrowed Ass Man" was the most curious part of this.....I really need to keep up on the forum more. >.>

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                I think "Borrowed Ass Man" was the most curious part of this.....I really need to keep up on the forum more. >.>
                We finally got rid of our store manager about 3 weeks ago now (or rather, he got himself demoted to an hourly grocery manager - ie, glorified stocker heehee) so for the moment we have an assistant manager who's helping out from one of our nearby stores.

So because I couldn't come up with a catchier nom de plume for him when I was typing the post, I just refer to him as the "Borrowed Ass Man."
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I feel your pain. I've had parents get pissy with me for telling their children stuff too. There was the time the woman had her kid in the back of the cart (which is a no no btw, theres a sign on the cart) and when I went to load up her bags, I nicely asked her kid to "scoosh over so I can get these in there" and Mom snapped, "She's fine where she is! You need to work around HER!"

Wow...ok...guess what? Now I won't load a cart when there is a kid in it. Period.

The kids like to play with the conveyor belt too, despite the sign that says "Keep Children clear of the belt" They reach their little fingers up there where the sensor is and like to make the belt move and stop move and stop... Theres this peice of metal there that guides the groceries to me so they dont go behind the scale. And wouldn't you know it, the belt sucked this little girls fingers right up under the metal. Bleeding, screaming...not pretty.

Anyways so whenever I would see a kid do this, I would remind them not to. Well, one mother snapped at me for telling her child what to do and that she was fine and just playing...

Guess what... Now I don't just don't tell them anymore. What do I know? I certainly don't have to say anything. I just don't want to see a kid get hurt. That'll learn me!

I also had a kid who reached around, dad standing right there, and was banging on my keyboard. I don't know what he did, what sequence of buttons he pushed ( I would like to) but my machine crashed...hardcore. Right in the middle of this guys order. I had to close it down and move everyone to another register.

Any parent knows kids like buttons. Hell, some people never outgrow it. I get grown adults who have to play with the conveyor belt sensor... /sigh. Do they not realize there are buttons in the checkout? That if they push there kid eye level right up to the key pad that they will push the buttons? Or they just stand there completely oblivious that their kid is calling China on the keypad?

23 years at this store, I am just tired of babysitting their kids.....
                  WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

When I'm working and a kid does something they're not supposed to I get the parent's/guardian's attention and point out the situation. The parent/guardian tries to get the kid to stop even though it's not always successful and I get the items they can grab out of reach.
                    My Fanfic Page
                    My Fiction Page
                    My Social Group
                    My Pet Social Group
                    My You Tube Channel

Comment

Mostly people who, after I've scanned and bagged their items and they are loading up their carts (I got sent to the Express Lane which is 12 items or less) they would become rather glazy-eyed and ask "Is this mine too?"
                      I've actually done this a few times, usually if I'm really tired or been drinking. "Holy shit, is that mine?" Yes. Yes it is. At which point I remind the cashier that I am, in fact, an idiot, and not to pay me any mind.

Do You Know Where Your Children Area and What They Are Doing?
                      I know that I am not the only one on this board that did that exact same type of thing when I was that age. Too old for toys, too young for bars....what are you going to do? Oh yeah...let's hang out!

Child didn't pay me any mind when I said "Excuse me," so I spoke louder "EXCUSE ME. Please don't play with the pinpad, it's not a toy."

Never mind the fact that her back was turned to the child and she was ignoring it basically . . . she wanted to complain that she didn't like my tone or the look on my face.
                      Contrast that to what my parents would have done.

Mom: "Jester, stop that."
                      Dad: "JESTER! She SAID not to PLAY with that! Listen to her!"

Dad didn't fuck around. Ask me about the story of the farmer and the donkey some time....

Quoth Daemonmonkey View Post
                      Can it be that _child_ lost mobile phone, and the pinpads were a surrogate for a phone?
                      There are a million possibilities as to why a child might play with a pinpad. The most obvious one is, as someone already pointed out, kids love buttons.

But what the reason is is a moot point. The fact remains that the parent needs to keep their child under control in public, and if they don't, they should not be surprised or upset when someone else corrects the child.

JESTER'S HELPFUL HINT #37: Any of you that don't want to risk getting a parent mad by saying something need to develop the Death Glare. I normally use it for Guys Dating My Nieces, or other idiots I deal with, but it is VERY effective on children who are misbehaving and KNOW they're misbehaving. I just give them the Death Glare, and no matter what they are doing, the vast majority of them will stop. Mostly out of fear, I think, but I don't care WHY, so long as it WORKS.

It works.

And most of the time, the parent won't notice, as they are too busy not bothering to pay attention in the first place.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

I had one kid messing around with my registers keys once for no other reason than he accidentally hit it once and heard a delightful beep, so he kept trying to make it beep again. No other reason. Luckily his mom was paying attention and moved him out of the way.

Another time, I got yelled at for not approaching a parent before asking some children to stop smacking merchandise they had no intention of buying against a drink display. The reason I approached the kids first? I had no clue which of the many adults in the crowded front end was actually the girls' parent, because said parent was doing a marvelous job of not parenting. Yeah, the mom, from two registers away, just glared at my back as I returned to my own register, then complained to a CSM. CSM passed on the complaint to me, I explained that I had no clue who was the parent and was just trying to save the already-damaged merchandise, and the CSM said she understood and was just verbally passing on the complaint as protocol. No write-up.

Most parents I dealt with, though, were like the first mom there. When I'd ask their kid to stop messing with something they shouldn't (get off the gate to the cigarette aisle, step out of the empty ice cooler, don't smack me with your new DVD), the parent would back me up instead of griping at me for not letting Little Precious do whatever they wanted.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Wow all that in one week? So glad I don't work as a cashier any more. (cue angels singing hallelujah)
                          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                            Another time, I got yelled at for not approaching a parent before asking some children to stop smacking merchandise they had no intention of buying against a drink display.
                            I am waiting with baited breath for the day I am in a store and see something like this happen.

"Look, lady, if you would have told your damn kid yourself to stop being a little ass monkey, the cashier wouldn't have had to do your job of parenting the little snot for you. So stop giving her shit. She's doing her fucking job. You clearly haven't got the first fucking clue how to do yours."

Or something equally colorful and enlightening. I do have a way with words, after all.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                            X