X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You transfered the money to yourself!

I get a customer...

I knew it was going to be interesting right away, because she was half-ready to cry and half-ready to yell. The first words out of her mouth was that she had talked and talked to someone over at her regular branch, but had been unable to get any satisfaction. As my branch is considered the main branch, this happens a lot. Problems escalate to us, whether or not they could have been resolved at their own branch (which they usually could have been)

Anyway, she's upset and I go sympathetic. One, because it helps, and two because at this point there is the possibility that something has gone horribly wrong with her account, and that can be downright scary.

Then she goes on to explain. This isn't verbatim because I suck at remembering verbatim, but the gist of what she says is:

"I had money transferred from my savings to my checking without my approval and I don't know where my money went!"

I'm actually thinking I might understand. Savings can be set up as an overdraw source for a checking account, so if you don't have enough money to cover a check or withdraw coming out of your checking, the computer automatically pulls the money from your savings. So, I take a look at the transactions she's talking about, one a $2000 transfer, the other a $700 transfer, expecting that I might see large checks or something clearing the checking.

Nope. The transfers were not automatic. They were both called in to the call center.

"Why would I transfer that money? I didn't write down anything like that in my register. I already had money in my checking, so why would I have transferred that money. I didn't do it."
    ...this goes on for a HALF HOUR

She is not, by the way, protesting ANY charge that came out of her checking. Those were all done by her. She protesting the transfers from her savings to her checking.

Okay, a few things:
    1) I don't know why you would have transferred the funds. Not a question we ask when we get a request to move money from your savings to your checking.

2) These transfers happened SIX MONTHS AGO. I don't know about most people, but I tend to notice when my checking balance is $2700 higher that it should be.

3) We do not fill in your register. However, the $2700 is no longer in your checking, so even if you didn't need to use it for one large purchase, you DID use it over the last six months since it happened. You are stating there are no unauthorized transactions that came out of your checking, so that means YOU spent the money. If your register is kept so perfectly and you forgot to mark down transfers of $2000 and $700, then your records should show that you have a negative balance now, and you should be happy you haven't had any overdraft fees.

4) The money went to YOU. Even if we can't prove that you authorized the transfer, it went from YOUR account to YOUR account, and you then proceeded to spend it. Shit out of luck, lady.

Of course, I didn't say all the snippy things, and it took me a half-hour of myself, and then 20 minutes of my manager trying to go over things with her before I really started to feel the bitch-within want to come out.

So, we're going to get the calls pulled. Everything that goes through the call center is recorded. That way we can at least reassure her that she did do the transfer herself, even if her forgot. Or show that her husband, who she swears NEVER touches the account, did the transfers.

We offered to block the account from future phone transactions, but since she does things over the phone a lot, she didn't want that.

I'm really not certain what else we can do. We're not going to give her $2700 because she can't remember moving it from one of her accounts to another. We can't transfer the money back from checking to savings, because it is now spent.

She's threatening to pull her money out of the bank due to this.

...bleh

Quoth bankworking View Post
    She's threatening to pull her money out of the bank due to this.
    And this is a problem... why, exactly?

Why not let her become some other bank's headache? Between taking up your and your manager's time, plus that of whoever's going to have to go back through the files and retrieve that phone call, she's probably used up whatever profit the bank made on her account. Coprorations these days (typo deliberately left in) have the attitude of "Retain 100% of customers at all costs!" whereas if they let the 5% of them that are the biggest pains in the fundament take their business elsewhere, their profits would skyrocket.

Comment

I love when people use that line.

My response? "Ok, I can fill out the closing slip for you!"

Usually that shuts them up.
      There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

She transfered the money to herself & spent it & is bitching about it? Why didn't she just look carefully at her accounts? It's not the banks fault.

Comment

I can't stand customers like this. Of course, by the time I get them, it's usually "I overdrew my checking account, but I don't know why." Well, maybe if you would balance your checkbook once in a while...

Why is it that the customers who are the biggest headaches are always the ones who threaten to close their accounts?
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
            I can't stand customers like this. Of course, by the time I get them, it's usually "I overdrew my checking account, but I don't know why." Well, maybe if you would balance your checkbook once in a while...
            or be like me and login to your online account daily.

Comment

I almost never check my accounts.

However, I'm so stingy with everything that I'm always running a surplus each month. I honestly have no idea how much money I have right now, but its definitely not in the red.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                Why is it that the customers who are the biggest headaches are always the ones who threaten to close their accounts?
                They have become skilled in the art of being paid to go away, and know if they complain that management might give them the free toaster for opening an account this month if they will stay
                I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Maybe her husband wants to know where that money is? And she thinks if she blames the bank she is off the hook?

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
                    They have become skilled in the art of being paid to go away, and know if they complain that management might give them the free toaster for opening an account this month if they will stay
                    Does that work at your bank? It doesn't work here, but then we don't give away gifts with new accounts. Plus, our branch manager is pretty good about knowing which customers to give consessions to and which to tell to take a hike (nicely, of course). She's frequently heard to say, "Well, you've got to do what you've got to do" when a customer threatens to close their accounts.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Copro is latin for poop.

I are smart. S-M-R-T.
                      ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                        Does that work at your bank? It doesn't work here, but then we don't give away gifts with new accounts. Plus, our branch manager is pretty good about knowing which customers to give consessions to and which to tell to take a hike (nicely, of course). She's frequently heard to say, "Well, you've got to do what you've got to do" when a customer threatens to close their accounts.
                        Idk, Key was giving away free Ipods when I signed up, I could have gotten hired in at one bank because my friend used to work their and the managed likes me. But considering the building it was attached too has its own website for the people that go there, I decided to keep my current crap job because even doing some banking there I noticed clueless people. Also, I guess a majority of their accounts are second (or way more) chance checking.
                        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
                        X