This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    My family does beadwork, with a few original holiday-themed designs, and we've had people stop to sketch out patterns so they could make their own. >_<
    I try to use at least one bead or other element per design that would be hard if not impossible for the casual 'thief' to get or copy.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My family does beadwork, with a few original holiday-themed designs, and we've had people stop to sketch out patterns so they could make their own. >_<

These days, with cameras in everything, there's no way to stop them from stealing those patterns.

^-.-^
      I'll confess, sometimes I do this myself, but it's always because it's a design I want to try myself (a really simple one at that), and usually because whatever-it-is isn't actually for sale, just on display. I never do this with intent to resell, because I would never want someone to do that to me in turn.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I haven't the patience to quilt or the talent for any kind of art. But I sew, and can alter clothes. People seem to think because their mother/grandmother did this for them free, that I must want to do it free, too. "Anyone" can sew.

Well, not so much. It is true that 40 years ago, most households had sewing machines in them. However, the talent residing in the homes varied greatly. Even when I was in high school, most teens were not wearing home made dresses to their proms - their mothers didn't want the hassle of making them. And that was when a "dressy" dress was the same as a regular one, just floor length.

Most moms mended seams or hemmed things, and cleverly sewed rick-rack or trim over the faded line on the dress where the hem had been let down. (because in the old days, you wore something for a couple years, then it got handed down to your sister. It was shortened and taken in for her, then let out and lengthened again as she grew)

So I think part of this is because it was traditionally "women's work," and not valued as much as men's work. And part of it is because if Grandma did it, any one can. The third leg of the entitlement stool is what I call "the Napsterization of America." People actually think that whatever they want should be free, to them at least. Of course, the average person thinks his or her own labor is worth far more than he or she is getting.

The previous poster made an excellent point about how the average citizen is so far removed from any manufacturing process, they haven't a clue how anything comes into being. (Like people think meat comes from plastic packages in the supermarket.)

Comment

My fiance's grandmother can sew beautiful quilts but only does them for family members. She's told me stories of people seeing hers at craft shows and wanting to know if she's make them one for free (they quickly were turned down). She passed the knowledge of sewing onto her children and my MIL has actually started patching my jeans for me along with her sons'. In contrast, my mother can sew a button on and that's about it.

I do think that sewing is a skill that's quickly disappearing, as well as most of the other "home-maker" skills. I can do some really basic sewing - like making a pillow, and some basic crochet, but that's about it. Most of the other people I know can't even do that.

Because of this, I feel very honored that my fiance's grandmother considers me enough of family to ask if I wanted her to make a quilt for our wedding.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
            The third leg of the entitlement stool is what I call "the Napsterization of America." People actually think that whatever they want should be free, to them at least.
            The logic seems to be since you are obviously making sooooooooo much money from "everyone else" , you can "cut them a break"

Little do they realize, that THEY are the "everyone else" for the NEXT guy in line who's gonna try to make the SAME argument!

It's a black hole of illogic! Get out while you can!
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
              "Hi I have a blog and if you send me x item for free I'll tell everyone how awesome you are!"
              I've been asked a variation on this question with my artwork. I ended up settling it with them for about 30% off the price. They never really did give me their blog/website/newsletter so I had no idea if they did it or not. I wish I had the backbone you do.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                "Hi I love your quilts, can I have one for free?"
                Is there any company in the world this would work on? And if so, what's their number? -.-

Comment

Yeah I remember one year I was selling handmade quilted diaper bags for $15. I had a couple of ladies come up and look over the whole booth and each picked out a diaper bag to buy. They told me "You know you really need to raise your prices! After we leave of course! Hahahaha!" yeah sooo funny. Like I've never heard that one before.

I've been known to discount things for people for all kind of reasons. If they ask nicely and aren't a jerk, or if it's a quilt that I've had for a long while, or even if they offer a trade.

Yeah my harshest critics are my family unfortunately, if I can handle thier snarking, I can handle the customers. They even told me I was too pricey when I was selling my baby quilts for $20.
                  https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    I try to use at least one bead or other element per design that would be hard if not impossible for the casual 'thief' to get or copy.
                    When my best friend started beading, I bought some FIMO and started making beads. We aren't doing it anymore, but beadmaking with FIMO or equivalent isn't that hard if you're craft-y anyway.

And once your beadmaking is good enough to use the home-made beads as feature elements, you're effectively copy-proof. Anyone good enough to duplicate your designs should be good enough to come up with designs of their own.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      Little do they realize, that THEY are the "everyone else" for the NEXT guy in line who's gonna try to make the SAME argument!

It's a black hole of illogic!

Read long ago in an advice column: An auto reupholsterer had many friends who wanted a break in price. Her reply was that they had to make money doing work for friends.

Their enemies took their business elsewhere.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        Doing that would price them out of the market; they're silly $5-$10 pieces.

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                        I'll confess, sometimes I do this myself, but it's always because it's a design I want to try myself (a really simple one at that), and usually because whatever-it-is isn't actually for sale, just on display.
                        If you want to copy the pattern so badly, then just buy them. That's the classy way to do it.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        And once your beadmaking is good enough to use the home-made beads as feature elements, you're effectively copy-proof.
                        Not really an option when doing traditional native American and similar contemporary works. Peyote stitch works best with seed beads, or pony beads if you want it big and clunky.

They do peyote stitch and loom work and applique, etc.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                          Is there any company in the world this would work on? And if so, what's their number? -.-
                          I would give it to you, but it got disconnected.

Comment

If you want to copy the pattern so badly, then just buy them. That's the classy way to do it.
                            What I meant before is that I do that when the given piece isn't for sale (therefore I can't buy it; I don't do this for actual pattern kits), and I never do this to resell. I rarely actually do this, usually because I can just buy the item or pattern.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Getting some crafted goodness soon for my mom for Mothers Day from Kanalah. Yay! May be approaching some others for gifts for my mom and my sister. For next years birthdays. If I can figure out what they might enjoy.

For the crafters here (of any kind) can you send me a PM with a link I can look at some of what you make? I want to look them over and see what my family might like for their birthday. Not sure, yet, what budget I will be working with, but I do have more family to buy for (including for christmas )..so don't be shy
                              Last edited by Mytical; 04-06-2011, 04:15 AM.
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X