This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt, Scams & Charity Oh My

Thought I'd throw out a few more stories.

Court is not a good thing

I had a woman who refused to pay her first bill, there were no issues with the bill, she simply said that she doesn't pay the original bill, but she will pay (bill-£200) No that is not how it works. We don't haggle down your electric bill EVER. Whilst trying to get me to reduce the bill she dropped a few gems. She wanted us to take her to court (this is a very last option) because we'll only get £5 a week from her, she knows this because she always goes to court with all her bills. This is not something to brag about, but theres not a lot we can do to stop them from doing this.

We do want to get paid

a few figures:
    SC has bill of £500 outstanding
    SC is using about £45 a month
    SC want to pay us by Direct Debit of £40 a month

Can you see the flaw in this amazingly generous offer? When i explained that his Direct Debit would actually be £100 a month until the debt is paid, he went nuclear

Human Rights

If you have a debt with us, we will not let you switch to another energy supplier as we would then lose what little leverage we have. This is done by every gas and electricity supplier. This is not illegal, it is akin to holding you for ransom, it's not an infringement of your human rights. Threatening to sue me personally does absolutely nothing. You have two choices pay your bill or don't leave.

Don't lie to me

The very first thing i ask, long before i egt the address, account details or anything is your name. If you then later on tell me that you're not axctually the person on the account but their friend/father/brother/landlord/pet. Then nothing is being done on the account. 95% of the time all they want doing is something we can do with them anyway but at that point it's tough, i will refuse to do anytghing on the acocunt and will leave nootes stating that somebody lied to gain access to the account so only the acocunt holder will be able to deal with us at all.
    speaking of which....

We are not stupid
    So you're calling from our debt department and want me to confirm some details on an account because your systems down. a few problems with this.

1) We all use the same system yet mine is working.
    2) If your paticular computer went down you are sat in a call centre with hundreds of collegues who can give you the info.
    3) If you system was down then you wouldn't be able to use the information
    4) When asked about the location of your call centre, you gave a city where there isn't one.
    5) You called through on an outside line.
    6) Looking at the notes, debt agents have tried to call us about this account 4 times in the last 30minutes with the same problem.

Yeah, that's not happening.

Non suck

Comic relief was a week ago, and that evening our call centre turned over to Comic relief, we spent the night volunteering taking calls of donations. Now i was expecting some sucky callers but not only did i not get a single one, neither diod anyone else working at our location. The nearest thing to sucky was a young child who thought that just by calling the number you automaticly donated through the cost of the call. It was lovely to have nearly every caller thanking us simply for being there.

Quoth energyguy View Post
    This is not something to brag about, but theres not a lot we can do to stop them from doing this.
    Is there any way you can simply cut off her power supply while also preventing her from going to another power company? (Assuming that she does not have a medical condition which prevents this) --- Where I live, all utilities are monopolies, so service cutoff is a much greater threat, and is used quite frequently.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Winter time

Often power and heat are not allowed to be cut during winter, guess what could happen next month?

Comment

Disconnection very rarely if ever happens we usually forcibly fit pre-payment meters instead.it take about a year from the first debt to get to that point, the problem customers are nearly always in rented homes and move every year or so, disconnetion threats don't bother them.

Comment

Thought I'd throw out a few more stories.

Court is not a good thing

I had a woman who refused to pay her first bill, there were no issues with the bill, she simply said that she doesn't pay the original bill, but she will pay (bill-£200) No that is not how it works. We don't haggle down your electric bill EVER. Whilst trying to get me to reduce the bill she dropped a few gems. She wanted us to take her to court (this is a very last option) because we'll only get £5 a week from her, she knows this because she always goes to court with all her bills. This is not something to brag about, but there's not a lot we can do to stop them from doing this.
          Stars, I _despise_ people like this! And I'll bet she's on public assistance too! Please cut the cheapskate off!

Comment

I'm going to ignore what was said about utilities never being disconnected and enjoy my little dream where you have to pay for service or not receive any. There's enough needy people out there without having others gaming the system.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yeah, it seems like when people do stuff like this, all the people, you know--who REALLY need help and genuinely have trouble paying and aren't trying to game the system--end up suffering.
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Any chance you live in the upper midwest, OP?

Around here, they can't shut anyone's electricity off November-April. So it gives people a chance to not pay their bill for several months, then just make small payments as to not get shut off.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It's probably more effort for the company then its worth, but... what about seizing their assets to pay for their debts? She might change her tune once her nice new TV walks off to be auctioned against her debts.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                    It's probably more effort for the company then its worth, but... what about seizing their assets to pay for their debts?
                    The power companies certainly do that over here, I've got a letter from a baliff firm saying they are 'applying for a notice to enter' my home, as the last tenant didn't pay around £400 for his gas bill. Fortunatly I've got the letting agent and my new landlord writing to them to point out I'm a new tenant and not responsible for any unpaid bills prior to me moving in last week.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      So it gives people a chance to not pay their bill for several months, then just make small payments as to not get shut off.
                      We got 'served' with a disconnect notice a week or so ago...mom had somehow forgotten about or ignored the electric bill until it was over $500 At least with the main power company here, once they've sent a shutoff notice they will only accept the full amount (I would assume that if less is received they still pull the plug). Once that is received one can set up a payment plan/let the company know they are on assistance, but not before.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Non suck

Comic relief was a week ago, and that evening our call centre turned over to Comic relief, we spent the night volunteering taking calls of donations. Now i was expecting some sucky callers but not only did i not get a single one, neither diod anyone else working at our location. The nearest thing to sucky was a young child who thought that just by calling the number you automaticly donated through the cost of the call. It was lovely to have nearly every caller thanking us simply for being there.
                        Comic Relief is awesome... Ricky Gervais did a great free podcast in support of it.
                        There Can Be Only One

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                          It's probably more effort for the company then its worth, but... what about seizing their assets to pay for their debts? She might change her tune once her nice new TV walks off to be auctioned against her debts.
                          I'm the rival company's equivalent to the OP. While i can't say for certain for them ,in our company we didn't do this, we had to wait until the account closed down, adn then the debt would be sold on to a debt collector who could seize assets.

The SC's are either rapidly heading for force-fitting of pre pay meters that reclaim the debt at a fixed rate each week, or termination of supply come april. Unfortunately there are some that know how to play the syatem though.

I recall one man who owed PowerCorp in excess of £9000, we couldn't fit a pre pay meter because he was disabled, and we couldn't cut him off for the same reasons. His wife was completely able bodied and they were independantly wealthy. We know this because he bragged about it to us and gloated about how we would never make him pay a penny.

Ugh. He was a horrific person, i can't begin to convey just how awful he was to deal with, he was so patronising and insulting without ever crossing the line that would let us end the call, in a vague sort of way i have to admire how he did it.

Comment

Back in late 2006, we got a bill for something like triple the usual amount, along with a "we will disconnect you soon" notice...See my location tag for why this would have been just a tad sucky on the power monopoly's behalf ~_~ Said bill turned out to be for the month when nobody in the area HAD power to use, let alone were allowed into the city to use it (we were able to get back into town after about 5 weeks, got power back 3 weeks after that; yes, we were billed for both of those months, as if we had been using power the whole time -- they just took a prior month and multiplied it by some large %)...I never received a satisfactory explanation for it, either. We ended up borrowing $ from a relative who had the dosh to spare in order to pay the bill...

In all fairness, however, it is my understanding that they did NOT actually start cutting people off for non-payment until about six months later.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

T
                              I had a woman who refused to pay her first bill, there were no issues with the bill, she simply said that she doesn't pay the original bill, but she will pay (bill-£200) No that is not how it works.She wanted us to take her to court (this is a very last option) because we'll only get £5 a week from her, she knows this because she always goes to court with all her bills.

SC has bill of £500 outstanding
                              SC is using about £45 a month
                              SC want to pay us by Direct Debit of £40 a month

Can you see the flaw in this amazingly generous offer? When i explained that his Direct Debit would actually be £100 a month until the debt is paid, he went nuclear
                              Quoth blas View Post
                              Any chance you live in the upper midwest, OP?

Around here, they can't shut anyone's electricity off November-April. So it gives people a chance to not pay their bill for several months, then just make small payments as to not get shut off.
                              Unlikely - from your previous posts, I assume you're talking about the upper midwestern United States. Note that the OP is giving amounts in pounds, rather than dollars - sounds like they're from Britain
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X